Wireless Internet connection

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

How is the alarm system integrated to the broadband? is that hard wired or is that sucking all your wifi bandwidth?

alarm is separately hard wired.  Cameras are hardwired too,  I have a board in my data cab and it all goes via the board ...that is connected to router via ethernet cable I think

All been working fine for a year its only the last few weeks the problems have started.

7B7F4EF5-6C8B-4ACE-A8E0-22149AD227A4.jpeg

15 minutes ago, lizzie said:

It drops out totally no wi fi at all and when you ask it to connect again its not easily finding the hub. When I come back to kitchen area nearer hub have no problems at all its full strength

Then I'd be suspecting a physical connection problem with the Wi-Fi antenna in the router.

I bought a cheap end-of-line router from Maplin for some networking experiments. It worked fine as a wired router which was what I really wanted at the time but was useless as a Wi-Fi router: within one room it worked fine but as soon as you tried to use it in another room with the doors closed there was no signal. Later I opened the box up for other reasons and found that the cable from the antenna had come unplugged from (or never been plugged to) the circuit board. Plugged that it and the Wi-Fi work as well as you'd expect for a cheap router.

Maybe your router's antenna or its connection have become unplugged or been damaged in some way.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrMagic said:

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-088269-CDXH.html

Even though it's sold by BT, it's independent of the provider so can be used in the future if you decide to switch.

Ah this is good to have confirmed. I have heard reports it works very well, and good price, but was hesitant to recommend without having used it myself as I used to recommend the BT home hub and look where that got us! And wasn't sure about the possibility they'd use it to encourage lock in later...

(Fwiw my brother had the Sky equivalent to this and rated it highly for years, but the whole lot went TU over Christmas and now he's a ubiquity convert too)

(Oh to add the sky one has benefit each set top box doubles up as a WiFi repeater, but again that just means more lock in)

32 minutes ago, lizzie said:

@pocster got a trusty old devolo lurking somewhere if all else fails. Thanks

Nah . You want at least 2 of the new ones . Allows it to become a WiFi connection point and uses a further unit to ‘extend’ range . Works really well !

I use an android app called WiFi Analyzer on my phone. It shows you the signal strength and details of other base stations that might be interfering. Could be the neighbours just set up wifi on the same channel. For reference: Three meters from my base station it reports a signal strength of about -50dBm. A base station the other end of the house is down to around -80 dBm. and speed is affected.

I also use www.fast.com as a quick check of my internet speed. It just takes a few seconds to run a test. Currently I'm getting 33 Mbps over broadband and my house wifi to an old phone.

Aside: BT use your hub to provide wifi to other BT customers but I would hope this doesn't cause performance issues. 

https://www.btwifi.co.uk/find/uk/

By agreeing to securely share a portion of your wi-fi bandwidth through a separate channel on your BT Hub, you let others get online when your Hub's turned on. In return, you can use others' active Hubs to get wi-fi internet access when you're away from home.

Edited by Temp

6 hours ago, lizzie said:

alarm is separately hard wired.  Cameras are hardwired too,  I have a board in my data cab and it all goes via the board ...that is connected to router via ethernet cable I think

All been working fine for a year its only the last few weeks the problems have started.

7B7F4EF5-6C8B-4ACE-A8E0-22149AD227A4.jpeg

Is your BT modem/wifi hub  in that cabinet? It's not a great idea to put a device that uses radio in a metal box as it blocks the signal. Have you recently put the cabinet door on?

Edited by Temp

34 minutes ago, Temp said:

Is your BT modem/wifi hub  in that cabinet? It's not a great idea to put a device that uses radio in a metal box as it blocks the signal. Have you recently put the cabinet door on?

no router is on an open shelf nearby and not moved position in last year.

ipad I am using now has defaulted to 4g as I have moved from kitchen to bedroom....it was on wi-fi in kitchen. My phone is in kitchen and won’t hold a connection to wi fi.  No other devices in use. Its mad....I have changed nothing its all the same but for this problem that recently started.

Hoping the new kit coming tomorrow might sort it out.  Of course it could be some Apple IOS glitch as all problem devices are apple.

13 minutes ago, Temp said:

I'd try and find a free WiFi analyser app for iPhone. They will tell you if it's a signal strength issue.

That may not report correctly if there is a problem with all the Apples.

Borrow an Android and see if that behaves the same.

This may help in clearing up the IP table:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Removing-Wireless-Device/td-p/1703717

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  Ookla is the one I normally use and when I can get iphone to hold a wi fi signal I am getting 37 download and nearly 6 upload so no signal issue.

Phone defaults to 4g all the time wont hold the wi fi signal and I am getting 11 download and 1 upload on 4g which is about normal for poor signal area here.

I will have to see if anyone I know has an android to test it out, it does seem likely its an IOS issue as only recently started

Edited by lizzie

I'm sceptical that it's an iOS issue; if Apple had done anything silly to break Wi-Fi on iPads when used with widely used routers I think it would be quite a well-publicized matter.

An alternative test would be to check your iPads with somebody else's Wi-Fi. You don't need to log on to their network, just checking the signal strength at different distances would be a good start.

If you're on BT and you have neighbours who are too, you should be able to get on line with a device by connecting to I think "BT With Fon" or something like that this bypassing your possibly conflicting system. You have to input your username and password. Just look for the one with most bars.

Or just change your router channel via your browser:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hub%3F

My money's on it being a Crapple issue! ?

Edited by Onoff

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Would be a MicroSoft conspiracy, Linux people are to disorganised to organise one.

Are too. Still, we don't have to pay through the nose for the privilege of being disorganised. (More can't than don't... :)).

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

Thanks guys.  Ookla is the one I normally use and when I can get iphone to hold a wi fi signal I am getting 37 download and nearly 6 upload so no signal issue.

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

That doesn't really prove the WiFi signal is good. Its like saying it works when it works. You really need to find out what the phone thinks the WiFi signal strength is when/where its not working, eg when its defaulted back to 4g. 

Edited by Temp

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:
3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Crapple issue

Would be a MicroSoft conspiracy, Linux people are to disorganised to organise one.

Don't Apple throttle the Wi-Fi to save battery life.

Without, initially, letting on to their fiercely loyal, educated, rich, unbiased users.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Don't Apple throttle the Wi-Fi to save battery life.

Without, initially, letting on to their fiercely loyal, educated, rich, unbiased users.

Might be an invention of my own mind but whenever I'm in a group of guys and some have Apple devices, I seem to have issues connecting to the shared router. When the Apple guys aren't in and it's just lads with Android I seem to connect fine. Almost as if Apple somehow takes precedence.