Recommendations for a Bug Zapper

Does anyone have any experience and recommendations?

I am after something that will help on the occasions that we get some of the bug-gers in when the doors are open for ventilation.

It seems to make sense to go for one that could either sit on a table or hang on a hook, and that uses a common type of zapper bulb, if such exists.

I want something a little domestic looking, rather than suitable for the offal-hall at Pork Farms.

Cheers

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Got the tennis racket one too...great stress reliever.  

Have some solar ones that fix on windows with a suction pad.  The sun charges the things and at night it has the blue light on, it zaps the bugs.  I didnt think they were working but when I took them down to clean windows they had a surprising amount of dead bodies inside. They are better for smaller flies though. 

We get some really big horrid things as have a livery next to us and they come over.  I have found good old fashioned sticky fly papers the business for these. Best for me are window stickers 4 for £5.99 from Lakeland.  They last 3 months if they dont get filled up first.  Look like a yellow sunflower sticker on the window but up in the corner not too intrusive. 

If I had to have just one of them I would go for the sticky paper it's by far the best.

Should we not just leave them be (not bee) as we are already getting a serious drop in insect numbers. Other than wasps and mosquito's I don't think we have any bugs that harm us do we, although global warming is bringing them closer.

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Should we not just leave them be (not bee) as we are already getting a serious drop in insect numbers. Other than wasps and mosquito's I don't think we have any bugs that harm us do we, although global warming is bringing them closer.

Outside, yes. Inside .. not always.

We have mint in jugs to discourage them, but it beats fly spray (which has been used once this month chez Ferdinand.).

And we are of course endeavouring to avoid using air conditioning.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I agree, but as @Ferdinand says, it's a matter of where the bugs are, and what they are.  Also, we have two or three bats that fly around our garden every night, and each one of them will be consuming around 3,000 insects per night, so a few dozen insects zapped because they are being a nuisance inside the house isn't likely to make any significant difference to overall numbers.

20 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Have some solar ones that fix on windows with a suction padThe sun charges the things and at night it has the blue light on, it zaps the bugs

Do you have a link for that?

The laws of the universe guarantee that my kitchen and conservatory which get the problem sometimes when cooling down first or last thing are north facing !

33 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Should we not just leave them be (not bee) as we are already getting a serious drop in insect numbers.

I leave all insects be outside. Hell I even rescue spiders and move them to safety inside the house but flies in the house I zap. 

33 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Do you have a link for that?

The laws of the universe guarantee that my kitchen and conservatory which get the problem sometimes when cooling down first or last thing are north facing !

Its just some chinese tat from amazon they are like these https://happytrendsoutlet.com/products/solar-buzz-insect-killer?variant=28109181845568&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9NimnazV4wIVh7HtCh2i9gpEEAQYCCABEgItn_D_BwE

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I don't think we have any bugs that harm us do we

We have had several hornets in our conservatory , don’t fancy getting bit by one of those mothers. Reminds me of when the house was being built, one of the builders flew round the scaffold and slid down the ladder like a man possessed, he was being chased by a Hornet.

Actually I fancy a racket like @JSHarris sounds fun? much cheaper here. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fly-Bug-Catcher-Insect-Trap-Curtain-Electric-Racket-Insect-Repellent-Deterrent/173880924692?hash=item287c1c5a14:m:mWs3pMEZ6GstVAnIEFCTDnw

Edited by joe90

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Lordy £22. Bit pricey for what it is !

I shall look for a tabletop or hanging one.

LOL thats not what I paid I got 3 for less than £20 that was just for the picture of what it looks like. I couldn't find the link I bought from.  Lakeland sticky are good.https://www.lakeland.co.uk/51468/4-Window-Fly-Trap-Stickers and I have these outside https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Red-Top-Fly-Trap/dp/B071XJFNYL/ref=sr_1_2?hvadid=79920783821910&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&keywords=red+top+fly+traps&qid=1564242743&s=gateway&sr=8-2  in trees a bit away from house.  We had a cluster fly problem and pest controller told me to get these they are effective at killing before they get in but not great to look at.

I also have 2 of these bargain buys (will I ever learn) going begging...see pic..  Unused won't fit my doors. Free to anyone who can make use of them.

IMG_2581.JPG

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JSHarris said:

so a few dozen insects zapped because they are being a nuisance inside the house isn't likely to make any significant difference to overall numbers.

Yes but if all the people in your district zap a couple of dozen then pretty soon those bats will be going hungry and taking a big picture look at things we could all forget going electric as each of us only contributes a tiny fraction of the total emissions. Every thing is connected to everything else - in the case of insects its the food chain. I only wish I could live what I preach!

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Yes but if all the people in your district zap a couple of dozen then pretty soon those bats will be going hungry and taking a big picture look at things we could all forget going electric as each of us only contributes a tiny fraction of the total emissions. Every thing is connected to everything else - in the case of insects its the food chain. I only wish I could live what I preach!

Not sure the sums add up, really. 

I'd guess that, a most, we might kill a couple of flies/wasps a day.  If the whole of our village does the same, then that's about 1000 flies/wasps per day, so around 1/3rd of the consumption of a single bat per night (and I'm not convinced that house flies or wasps are even a small part of the diet of the bats).  It seems the bats have been here for a long time, and have a fairly healthy population, despite the normal variation in the insect population being maybe +/- 50%, year on year, or more.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, newhome said:

I leave all insects be outside. Hell I even rescue spiders and move them to safety inside the house but flies in the house I zap. 

This seems a little unworthy of an activity followed by Halo-burnishing.

Eradicate the food supply, then move in the spiders.

A little torturous?

"Good morning, Fido", said Mother Hubbard. "It is your favourite birdseed today; I removed the Pedigree Chum last night because I knew you would need breakfast. But think of your slimming campaign."

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JSHarris said:

It seems the bats have been here for a long time, and have a fairly healthy population, despite the normal variation in the insect population being maybe +/- 50%, year on year, or more.

Very rarely see bats any longer around here, nor that many insects. The orchards and fields are often sprayed. When we used to drive after dark the front of the car was always covered with moths. It's no longer the case.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Very rarely see bats any longer around here, nor that many insects. The orchards and fields are often sprayed. When we used to drive after dark the front of the car was always covered with moths. It's no longer the case.

That's a shame. 

The opposite seems to be the case here this year, our garden is awash with bugs of all kinds, more than I've ever seen before.  My wife had problems with aphids on her roses so bought some ladybirds earlier in the year, now we seem to have hundreds of them, there were ladybird larvae just about everywhere a couple of weeks ago.  Whenever one of the outside lights comes on at night there is soon a big cloud of insects flying around it, followed a short time later by the bats, who seem to have learned to home in on the area around the outside lights (I'm convinced they've learned how to trigger the PIR sensors to make the light come on, too).

• Like 1

We are grand central station for bugs and wildlife here.  Bats, birds of prey, songbirds, corvoids, herons all co-existing with hedgehogs, foxes, deer, cows, sheep and horses.  Get a lot of flies due to proximity of horses but have wonderful array of butterflies and moths as well a great bee population due to lavender. Lots of ladybirds too and some nice indoor spiders. I could do with a gecko or two to keep things under control really but English climate not suited to them. Not seen any adders thankfully. This autumn I am creating some new habitat for beetles etc as had to leave my woodlands behind with old house LOL

Oh and have leatherjacket problem in lawn so millions of flying daddy long legs will appear very soon.....they will be dealt with ....zapped with the flies.

7 minutes ago, lizzie said:

We are grand central station for bugs and wildlife here.  Bats, birds of prey, songbirds, corvoids, herons all co-existing with hedgehogs, foxes, deer, cows, sheep and horses.  Get a lot of flies due to proximity of horses but have wonderful array of butterflies and moths as well a great bee population due to lavender. Lots of ladybirds too and some nice indoor spiders. I could do with a gecko or two to keep things under control really but English climate not suited to them. Not seen any adders thankfully. This autumn I am creating some new habitat for beetles etc as had to leave my woodlands behind with old house LOL

Oh and have leatherjacket problem in lawn so millions of flying daddy long legs will appear very soon.....they will be dealt with ....zapped with the flies.

Isn't it corvids that are themselves corvoid? 

10 hours ago, lizzie said:

Oh and have leatherjacket problem in lawn

Us too. The badgers have just started excavating the lawn at night to get at them.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, JSHarris said:

That's a shame. 

The opposite seems to be the case here this year, our garden is awash with bugs of all kinds, more than I've ever seen before.  My wife had problems with aphids on her roses so bought some ladybirds earlier in the year, now we seem to have hundreds of them, there were ladybird larvae just about everywhere a couple of weeks ago.  Whenever one of the outside lights comes on at night there is soon a big cloud of insects flying around it, followed a short time later by the bats, who seem to have learned to home in on the area around the outside lights (I'm convinced they've learned how to trigger the PIR sensors to make the light come on, too).

We haven't had a count of bats here this year but they seem more numerous. MSc students from Exeter Uni come most years, last year they got 120 passes in six minutes in one place alone, recorded six different bats including one species unseen since 1920 (they think). We are surrounded by woods with old mine shafts and engine houses, small fields with natural hedges, so ideal. Why the council (planning) wants me to put up owl and bat boxes God only knows, paper exercise...Lots of flies this year but few crane flies (leatherjackets), I think our two badger colonies wiped them out a couple of years ago, unfortunately, together with most of the hedgehogs (they skin them and leave the skin with prickles) and low nesting birds. As for fly prevention in the house, hanging a bunch of lavender or rosemary  in/ by the window opening helps, really, and if they get in I agree with Jeremy the tennis bat zappers are most satisfying, sustains the hunter/?gatherer instinct, one develops techniques, especially this year when they have been bad.

Interesting little insight into changing attitudes.

I am being discouraged from getting the Lakeland Sunflower one on the basis that the £2 post and packaging cost will be saved if we wait until we next need a set of oven gloves or three and can get over the minimum £40 order in 6 months time or so, or if we wait until we next get to a Lakeland shop.

As dad used to say - "in some ways we still live in the 50s".

This is probably why my garage is full of bits of wood.

Edited by Ferdinand