Garden bog - Composting toilet

daiking

Must have been on the 'old' site I remember reading a thread about it.

I'm looking for possible options go with a garden room at the bottom of the garden. The toilet bit would seem straight forward, less so options for using water to wash hands etc.

I'll take a look at that. Someone did a DIY bucket composting type but it must have been in the old place. Hoping they're still around.

GBF is probably a better hunting ground for this but its far worse than here.

20 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I won’t deny that living by my myself at the bottom of the garden isn’t appealing but I’m only looking for a basic workable solution, not a fully functional bathroom not renewable energy generator.

If I proceed with a proper garden room instead of a shed, it is going to need some basic facilities that would put off the faint of heart but satisfy a less fussy user and only get used on an infrequent basis.

Edited by daiking

6 hours ago, daiking said:

If I proceed with a proper garden room instead of a shed, it is going to need some basic facilities that would put off the faint of heart but satisfy a less fussy user and only get used on an infrequent basis.

Think touring caravan facilities.

Porta Potti (other brands of chemical toilet are available) empty at house when required. Go to house for a No 2 :ph34r:

Small hand basin with water from a small tank, refill when empty.

40 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Seen something which churches often use once. Was a dead simple composting soakaway. Diagrams were online somewhere. Not sure what a BCO would say

Called trench arch. Used in eg rural churches where the average over time might be equivalent to one person occupying full time, or under a path when there are skeletons and archaeology everywhere. Church archaeology costs a fortune that makes self-build versions seem a smaller challenge.

I was involved in one where they found a plague pit under the floor. 300 tons of sand to fill it rather than several months for archaeology.

How to here:

https://www.gloucester.anglican.org/content/pages/documents/1352755360.pdf

https://www.greengloucestershire.org.uk/content/pages/documents/1424700436.pdf

Edited by Ferdinand

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

Think touring caravan facilities.

Porta Potti (other brands of chemical toilet are available) empty at house when required. Go to house for a No 2 :ph34r:

Small hand basin with water from a small tank, refill when empty.

I don’t have a serial killer caravaner background so I don’t want to go down that chemical toilet route. Ewwww.

something low maintenance, like a composter, potentially could do a small soak away for liquid waste but conscious of having a stream really close by.

Shed project is a long term thing and as the children get older will probably see a lot more use in the long term. So looking for a long term, low use solution .

lots of advice available at Centre for Alternative Technology - I am sure they will have the info you need. They have  had composting toilets for the last 20 years and use the 'waste' on the gardens as it is a fabulous soil improver.  There was no smell or flies.  Brilliant way of turning our waste into a positive use.

And the Autonmous House near Pershore had two composting toilets in the house - again, no smells and great idea. full info here.

http://www.cropthornehouse.co.uk/

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/07/2019 at 12:29, daiking said:

Must have been on the 'old' site I remember reading a thread about it.

I'm looking for possible options go with a garden room at the bottom of the garden. The toilet bit would seem straight forward, less so options for using water to wash hands etc.

@daiking Pulling on this thread, does not @Tennentslager have a compost-loo in his hut at Carbeth? I am sure I recall lids going on of buckets of poo and leaving them for 18 months. Just have to keep them in date order whilst evolving :ph34r:.

There is a piccie here, and the detail must be around somewhere.

PS Section in this piece towards the end

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

I am sure I recall lids going on of buckets of poo and leaving them for 18 months.

You're thinking of Matt Damon. Lovely spuds though.....

Here he is on the karzi:

images.jpeg.865e216682792b424e2c9ebbf5d5feed.jpeg