markharro
Members-
Posts
644 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by markharro
-
Thanks @Nick Laslett I had seen the last 2 of those videos but not the first one so that was helpful. One question with the FST.....I think you apply it over the whole surface of the boards dont you and not just the areas you have applied the joint filler? And any tips for sanding it....I am trying to visualise how you avoid sanding right through to the board below!?
-
You are quite right @Nickfromwales we do have some non perfect background battening and, despite my efforts at shimming, it has resulted in some irregularities here and there. The background framing was done by the company that built our kit. Its only when months later I out a straight edge to the studs did I realise that a lot of shimming would be needed. Some of the studs are shocking with twists as well. As a punter before its been a steep learning curve not to make too many mistakes and avoid any really bad ones. We have boarded 2 rooms ourselves now and it not perfect, but not a complete disaster. I at least understand the issues now so as we continue boarding I intend to major on the shimming.
-
Thanks @Nick Laslett that sounds encouraging although I have the Deros; the Leros would be great but £££. Yes I think using too much joint filler may be part of the problem. There are joints however where one board is maybe a fraction of a mm proud and I have attempted to feather with the joint filler. I am wondering now whether its better simply to grind the edge that slightly proud down with the sander to match the neighbouring edge? And less I think I will try to passes with the filler. Filling holes I haven't yet found the knack. If you try with one fill and scrape away the excess it tends to leave a slight dimple in the middle which then needs a second fill. However if you fill it copiously you then end up having a lot to sand back. With the FST can I ask which grit of the Abranet you used to sand it? I am using 80 grit to sand the filler but I suspect you need to use something much much finer with the FST or you will basically just take it all off as the FST is very thin isnt it? Your job looks great
-
You're really trying to spoil my agony .....sorry fun..... aren't you!
-
Best approach for drilling 20mm terrazzo tile?
markharro replied to markharro's topic in Bathrooms, Ensuites & Wetrooms
and for marble terrazzo which is what we have? -
I suspect you may be right......the thing is I have got half a dozen bags of jointing mix and the same number of tubs of FST so am going to persevere for a bit longer at least......
-
Doing 2 bedrooms atm and thats bad enough but yes the idea is to use Fermacell throughout the house. You are right its negative fun and I need to review after we get these two rooms done....I need to get the dust extraction sorted though first! We are following the Fermacell system so after sanding the joint filler compound down the intention is to use their "fine surface treatment".
-
I suspect tomorrow I'll be on the phone to V-Tuf and Mirka tech support to try to work out what's going on - ATM just getting enveloped in clouds of dust and contemplating throwing the tools out of the window!
-
Best approach for drilling 20mm terrazzo tile?
markharro replied to markharro's topic in Bathrooms, Ensuites & Wetrooms
Thanks both - when you say a diamond hole saw do you mean something like this with a flat head - https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-hex-shank-diamond-tile-drill-bit-6mm-x-67mm/51908 If so would I not need something like this to stop it skating all over the tile - https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-diamond-tile-drill-guide/84524 ? I was thinking of this sort of thing - https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-expert-hex-9-hard-ceramic-tile-drill-bit-set-5-pieces/974rr And @Nickfromwales thats useful waterproofing tips but I think you are imagining we are using some sort of frame or metal profile- we are not. The idea is a single pane of glass pivoting on the 2 hinges and totally frameless. The room is a semi-wet room. So I guess the CT1 in the screwholes may be all we need? -
I have a couple of questions on a similar topic. Currently engaged in sanding filler in Fermacell boards and its already a job from hell......but even worse there is basically zero suction from my Mirka sander....this is connected - via a 4 metre (crazy expensive) Mirka hose to the 3m or so hose on my V-Tuf mini vacuum. I thought I might need a new bag but changed it and still no good. The filter is clean. So what is the issue? I bought the V-Tuf as it was the cheapest M class vacuum available but is it maybe underpowered for this job? Is the overall hose length too long? Is so would the solution be ditching the Mirka hose and trying to find some sort of adaptor to connect the Mirka straight to the vacuum hose? Thanks
-
Best approach for drilling 20mm terrazzo tile?
markharro replied to markharro's topic in Bathrooms, Ensuites & Wetrooms
Sorry I meant a 20mm thick tile, not the diameter of the whole which will probably be 6-8mm or the likes. -
We will shortly be needing to drill holes for some screws through our tiled shower enclosure. Mainly to instal two of these hinges - https://www.wholesaleglasscompany.co.uk/shop/colcom-8501n-glass-to-wall-shower-door-hinge.html - for a glass door. Behind the tiles is 12mm cement board and behind that an 18mm ply pattress. Couple of questions - 1 What is the best type of drill bit for the terrazzo and any tips to ensure that a clean hole is drilled? 2 I have 32mm of depth before the screws will hit the ply. The idea is to use long enough screws to penetrate the full extent of the 18mm ply. I was planning to use a drill bit of the same diameter as the screw I use. If it wasn't for the ply I would have to use rawlplugs but given I have ply I dont think I need these?
-
Expert Witness needed...
markharro replied to Mulberry View's topic in Party Wall & Property Legal Issues
Send me a private message if you would like me to sound out the contractor we used. -
Expert Witness needed...
markharro replied to Mulberry View's topic in Party Wall & Property Legal Issues
Would another competent contractor in the industry be suitable? Our contractors on our project in Edinburgh were excellent and very authoritative. Not sure if the principal would get involved in this sort of thing but I know him well and could ask. -
How to lay ply as build up prior to lino lay
markharro replied to markharro's topic in Floor Structures
Thanks @Nickfromwales thats what I thought. 2 more questions though - if there are gaps between boards which I guess will be inevitable what is best to use as filler? Also should I plan for small expansion gaps between the sheets of ply? -
We need to apply 18mm ply over our 22mm chipboard floor to bring up the level to match our rooms before a 3mm underlay and ultimately lino. My question is should the ply boards be butted hard against each other or with gaps to any extent? thanks
-
Fire barriers required behind cladding.
markharro replied to Big Jimbo's topic in General Construction Issues
Hi I cant remember the detail but I think my argument was simply that open vertical cladding wouldnt mean that there was a cavity. -
I have to say I lost the will to live on this ultimately! We ended up with doors supplied by Rocket doors - https://www.rocketdoorframes.co.uk/pages/hinged-door-shop - frame and door blank package. We wanted this flush with wall look and this was the easiest way to achieve it. Door blanks seem good quality although probably stuffed with the usual gunk.
-
Yes I did. I used this stuff https://soundstop.co.uk/products/genieclip-furring-strip?variant=43491336880351 and these clips https://soundstop.co.uk/products/genieclip-rst-soundproof-system?variant=43491336782047 I found this company really good to deal with and very helpful over the phone. Fixing the bars was pretty easy - shimming the joists took the most time. I bought 2 different types of LED profile - one like in @Thorfun photo above (yet to fit this) and another being this one - https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/plaster-in-wall-washer-led-aluminium-profile-85-5mm-x-56-8mm which butts up against the wall. I have fitted the latter only and what I did was to measure the gap for it very carefully and then fit the first metal bar so that the screws through the profile would go into the metal channel. As ever the time was in the working it out and measurement. Once I had got my head around how to do it things went very smoothly. Here is a photo of the ceiling now painted. I won't be fitting the others for a while. Haven't really thought about how to do these. One way I guess is to fit 2 parallel resilient bars with a gap just wide enough for the profile?
-
I read on one of the paint company's websites 4 weeks but our plasterer said as soon as its dry?
-
The cable is already in place in the toilet frame and it pops out at the bottom and wires into the WC. So it looks like I need to mount a 1 gang box somewhere between the WC and CU and bring the other end of the cable to that. And then another cable from the box that will house the fused spur cover to go to the CU?
-
It's a Japanese style toilet with a spray! That's the thing, the Geberit instructions don't mention it other than simply showing that you need to run a cable. I only found out when I checked with their tech support. So I could fit a 1 gang box just outside the room - cant do it inside the room now as all the boarding/tiling is done - and leave the end from the toilet there and then run a separate cable from the box to the consumer unit?
-
Turns out we need one for power to a shower toilet. Found out after the room has been tiled!!!......at the moment I have run a cable to the WC pan and then the other end is at the consumer unit waiting to be wired by the electrician. So the question is where does the box for the spur need to be located? Is it meant to be in the shower room where the WC is or can it be located outside the room close by? Also although Geberit say its needed is this totally essential? Thanks
-
That's interesting - I don't recall reading this guidance. Where did you find that? So just to be clear, is this 2 stages with the joint filler? Before the Fine Surface Treatment skim?
- 78 replies
-
- dry lining
- fermacell
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
