-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
Deciding to buy mine was an utter relief. I now have three tracks - short medium and long and some connecting pieces. I was given a 90 degree 'square' for my birthday. Use the ripping blade. It'll stay in the corner for a while and then - oh yes - I can do that easier with ......
-
Wet Brick Patches on Exterior Walls - New Bulld
ToughButterCup replied to Marlz05's topic in Brick & Block
Ya larn summat evry day yur .... Thanks @MikeGrahamT21 - really interesting. I've often wondered what that dent was (is). Now I'll know a frog when I see one. I can see a really good row developing in the pub now... couple of brickies get in our local -
Any question which asks '....is it worth (anything) ...' begs the question : worth it to whom? If by solar glass you mean glass which reduces heat gain - and possibly flare - and your roof is in the shade of the rest of the building, then you might welcome the extra warmth generated by not installing solar glass. But, what if your microclimate is noticeably warmer and drier than the local average - our microclimate is affected by the sea a couple of fields away - and sunnier than a few miles inland ? You'll need to make a judgement in the round - the cash price is only one thing to consider.
-
What am I doing wrong? Trades going AWOL
ToughButterCup replied to SimonD's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Your experience is normal. The term Good Tradesman means: good at BOTH the job as well as being a good communicator. A straightforward manner helps too. On our job, most were excellent. One or two weren't. But you always think that you are the one at fault and not them. I'm very lucky in as much as the locals who walk past our site to whom I chat, have exactly the same moans and groans about exactly the same trades people. -
Staining on Garden Wall
ToughButterCup replied to steveoelliott's topic in Bricklaying, Blockwork & Mortar
@steveoelliott , in the nicest possible way; staining? Where? -
Staining on Garden Wall
ToughButterCup replied to steveoelliott's topic in Bricklaying, Blockwork & Mortar
Staining? Where? -
Frowned upon? It may be - informally. But there is no such thing as a formalised, official frown. Planners must make a decision based on the evidence in front of them, and in the context of local and national Planning Policy. To an extent your suspicion is well-founded. Micropolitics matters a great deal in planning circles. But unless - say through a Subject Access Request - you discover that Planners are indeed raising an eyebrow on those grounds alone , your applications should be dealt with on their merits alone. We are not planning experts - not even Experts by Experience. I would be more inclined to make a really careful analysis ( by that I mean an evidence-based review ) of the advice you have been given. Please therefore don't take our opinion(s) as anything more than a hint or nudge. There's huge value in networking locally. Hard work. Good luck Ian
-
Garden Shed - Do I need planning permission ?
ToughButterCup replied to Janan Jai's topic in Planning Permission
No. https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/outbuildings/planning-permission We are not experts. Just interested amateurs. Do not rely on our informal opinions. -
"... Gove’s department hands back £1.9bn meant to tackle England’s housing crisis ..." https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/12/gove-department-hands-back-19bn-meant-tackle-england-housing-crisis?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other Downloaded 12th July 2023. Martin Hall of The Planning Law Blog fame was right. 300000 houses. Twats. Off to find something to kick. Hard. Any rat will do.
-
It's a massive relief to realize that people with your level experience make that sort of mistake. I wish you many more. In the nicest possible way.
-
Limestone confusion over prep
ToughButterCup replied to nmh's topic in Landscaping, Decking & Patios
Why has it taken 70 years for someone to tell me that ......🤔 -
Reclaimed Railway Sleepers
ToughButterCup replied to canalsiderenovation's topic in Landscaping, Decking & Patios
For God's sake Clive, please stop putting images on here such that SWMBO says pointing at your posts .... "You know , like that .... " -
He didn't want the job did he. Another small sign in relation to the skills shortage ... dear old George Eustice would agree with you. In the interest of balance, in Ze Vaterland vee also need about 1.5 million skilled immigrants a year. Vorsprung durch Immigration ! Who else is gonna build your Audi for ya, eh?
-
Cornwall is Number One
ToughButterCup replied to SteamyTea's topic in Environmental Building Politics
I had some lovely sole for supper the other day: aren't they bottom feeders? -
Yes. Forget it. Crack on. Enforced ? After yer done and dusted...... Just get it done pronto Tonto.....
-
Oooop North we use buckets, not barrows. Ya wanna see the size of my biceps ....💪
- 39 replies
-
- 2
-
-
- the windy roost
- icf
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
A trifle harsh ... but in this case, fair.
-
Hmmm, the paper-work - where the hidden FookOops are - is likely to be just as hard as the physical works. Come on, we want pictures - romantic sunsets, dusty, swifts screaming, strongly cross-lit images , long tables laden with bottles of local rough wine and cheese smelling to Hell ..... so we can all fanatsize about how we'd [... ] come and offer to help over the summer .... eh bien?
-
Welcome. I sense some interesting posts in the future ... Eh bien vas y!
-
Welcome .... Here's a start. Yes, the Internet is full of shared ignorance, but we all have to start somewhere. https://ggle.io/5yOQ
-
Take the Long View. To try and take my own advice , I now ignore the daily press (almost: apart from R4 natch) and read at media like Unherd , The Atlantic , Tortoise Media , The London Review of Books , Conservative Home , The Socialist Worker and Private eye . Once a month I make myself look at this (I can't bear to name it, so you'll have to click or guess) . I have to go for a long bike ride to cleanse my system afterwards. Yuk, yuk, yuk. All the more important for me to read it because I disagree with so much of its output.
-
Looks like a really nice neat job. You should be proud of yourselves.
- 39 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- the windy roost
- icf
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
