-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
Little Land based Carbon Sequestration
ToughButterCup replied to SteamyTea's topic in Boffin's Corner
Ah! The good old Conditional Tense (could cut) . Easy to miss A thinly veiled request for more research funding. -
Keep your eye on the prize: Planning Permission. It's a nervy time, applying for permission. Hoops to jump through , walls to face-plant into, people being badly behaved, for ever rushing yourself and then having to wait for everyone else. Its a test of character. Now is not the time to challenge the insolence of fortune. That luxury comes on Appeal. Because if after you've been a good-boi and swallowed your medicine and played by their rools made up on the hoof or otherwise , they refuse permission and you appeal, then their actions will be put under scrutiny. What-ifs are not for now. Later. Eye on the prize.
-
I'll try and find one. I sold my digger with it's buckets to deserving couple of BuildHubbers a couple of years ago - and regretted it ever since... This isn't the one, but it's close
-
Ours is alluvial clay set (in parts) on a sandstone incursion. My God the clay can stick to a digger shovel. I had to buy (have made) a proper clay spade . It was little more than a simple hook (no sides) and the hook bit of it looked like a sieve.
-
Here's another .... I found that the compacted columns of stone act as soakaways..... I couldn't believe it when - by accident - I left a hose running above a partially exposed column. The water just disappeared . I think the column was about 5m deep and about 400mm wide.
-
That's what we did. 52 columns, took a day from start to finish. Since that process is quicker and cheaper, and there's far less vibration, it begs the question - why not ?
-
Thanks very much. I've read one or two, skimmed others, and the Abstracts of two. The research cited appears not to address the issue of Low Level Background Noise. There are hints, but no real focus on low noise..... but this (in How Different Sound Levels Can Affect You) confirms my experience the context [of noise] is important https://noiseproject.org/how-different-sound-levels-can-affect-you/#:~:text=40 dB to 50 dB This decibel range,prolonged exposure may also cause headaches and irritability. downloaded 16/10/2024
-
Grrrrrr.......
-
You mention low-level noise particularly. I'd love to find any documentary evidence for that - specifically for low-level noise. If you could point me to some evidence, that would be great. I'm interested because there are some types of low level noise I love ( the seashore, a babbling brook, a waterfall, a large locomotive diesel engine on tick-over, our tomcat snoring, any cat's purr ) . But some - our digester humming quietly (air compressor), rain on a metal gutter grates .....
-
Questions questions questions..... Well some are deep and some aren't. Most are the results of corners of objects hitting the wall at speed. Shallow . Sometimes me chasing out a line up to a light 10mm , others 360mm or so where I've drilled a hole for the s\s Juliet rods. There's about a 1mmor 0.5mm gap all the way round.
-
Grandchildren, toy cars, small tricycles, swords, shields, stolen granddad tools and walls don't go together too well. In conjunction with the holes I made when putting in the stairs and the juliet balconies, there's a wall-hole filling fest. At the moment, I'm reduced to sieving Pollyfilla and Toutpret before mixing it. Maybe I should use pre-mixed. I know. Lets ask the wall-hole expert @Pocster .... which do you use, son?
-
Here's a quiet evenings viewing by the fireside while you agonise .....
-
Lift. Inspect Clean Jet through. Reseal Wait Pray When your prayers are not answered , post on BH for the Drain God to reply. Meantime Pass Go, Collect £200 and send that to my account (PM sent 😜)
-
The golf club , or the Rotary Circle, squash club , Freemasons, or a friend of a friend .....
-
And there's your answer. Put that in place and you're off !
-
-
Firstly , welcome! Nextly, photo of the Heat Pump please and - if possible, a link to the manufacturer's website and - maybe- download the manual ?
-
Our piling company drove our piles while using an instrument for vibration monitoring - and sent the readings back to the company head office. I can't remember the brand name of the meter but here's a link to the kind of thing I mean. Faced with your issue, I would go onto the site and explain your concern. ask the site supervisor if the vibration is monitored AND reported (to their head office) invite the site supervisor to come into your home and experience the vibration If you get no real answer, then talk to the piling company head office. They will (should) be concerned because of the possibility of you claiming against them. No joy there, then Environmental Health in your Local Authority is the next call Its important to note that you cannot stop the work. But you can and should be compensated for any material loss. That means gathering evidence. Cracks that weren't there before the work, plaster falling off the wall - stuff like that needs to be photographed. The key question is : how much longer will the vibration continue, and - if there is evidence of damage and you need to claim - could you have a copy of the vibration monitoring results?
-
Usually MVHR ceiling vents are circular. But I am under direction from Mission Control (SWMBO) to find some rectangular ones. I've looked at ventilationmegastore, they don't do them I've asked BPC - they don't do them. The closest they do is a rectangular spigot (fixed) - but you can't 'tune' that (screw the valve in or out as needed) There are plenty of suppliers of fixed rectangular ceiling vents - but we need one with the normal screw -in-out- valve. Any know of a supplier who might be able to help?
