Jump to content

ToughButterCup

Members
  • Posts

    11830
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    101

Everything posted by ToughButterCup

  1. We're all doomed to be in your Shadow mate. Doomed
  2. Not really: 83.995 % is more like it.
  3. @BotusBuild - that's the one..... Thanks so much. @G and J highly likely to be correct. Add that to me needing to get something strapped quickly, doing it up a ladder, cross and tired at the same time, sure I'm going to mess it up...
  4. Yes. Exactly. Invariably I'm fiddling about up a ladder, loose end in hand but drop the standing end - (or some other variant of that) , swearing under my breath . I'll try putting it on the ground first, take up a bit of the strap first and then hook up. Thanks Ian
  5. I really feel for you. I have no experience of rectifying the issue, but it occurs to me that if you use double threaded screws (that is a secondary thread at the screw head as well as the normal shank), then that might go someway to alleviating the problem in the meantime. Good luck with your search.
  6. ... ratchet strap 9 years in and I still have to work out how -quickly- to lead the loose end into the ratchet so that the loose end can be tightened easily (doesn't double-up or get in the way of the ratchet handle) stowed neatly loosened easily. I take good care of the ratchet mechanisms. I stow the strapping out of the sun and weather. I've watched God knows how many YT videos.... I still can't do it quiclkly and easily. And this morning a lad who works for us gardening on Saturday mornings asked me to teach him how to use one. Got myself into a bit of a lather getting it wrong - as usual. Told him I'd show him next week. Most of the year they stay in their dry store, packed away neatly. But when you need one - you really need it. And I feel more of a plonker than usual when it takes about 6 goes to get it right. First Time . Anyone have a fail-safe way of threading the strap through the ratchet correctly? First time?
  7. Quibbling. Fermented foods do that to a bloke. How much carbon is locked up in my barrel of sauerkraut then? I can give you a fairly good estimate of the methane volume generated, but that's not the issue these days is it... No , really I wanna know - how much carbon is locked up in one cabbage? And does the fermentation process involved in making sauerkraut increase or decrease the carbon volume? Answers quickly please before the pubs open tonight. For my pub quiz questions you see....
  8. We had exactly your issue. Exactly.... Answer? Micropolitics and experience. Our architect knows (knew) almost all the Planners (until they were outsourced a couple of years ago). Not good mates, but he knew our Planning Officer because they had workd toether in Lancaster. Our place is Scandi writ large on the end of a 'chocolate box' row of local cottages - but Passivhaus Quite similar to your set up it would appear.... We needed to set the house back - negociated with the Planner - and we needed to lose the planned bit of the house above the flat roof at the front - again negociated with the Planner. I love both your designs. Eye on the main prize - Permission. Adapt, talk, improve. Good luck!
  9. No good in our place : proper candles needed in a Haus that consumes large amounts of sauerkraut.😒 We need a proper flame
  10. Ah, that's the one we have. The 437th best.... (A prime nothing nevertheless)
  11. Hey: brilliant! I can wheel her round Log Burner shops. I can just feel the heat floodin' into me old bones : sittin' in 't livin room, the pair of us stripped down to the unmentionables, sweating like piglets, all doors open all windows open, MVHR coughing like an knackered over-retarded Austin Allegro, belching smoke : and the doorbell goes.... "Amazon Delivery mate .... I just need to take a photogrpah... oh, on second thoughts - no - it'll do .... byeeeeee" Perfect.
  12. Your post did me almost as much good as a log burner cackling away to itself quietly in the corner. I have a new fantasy (Down @Pocster, DOWN)..... The minute we have sign off, we fit a small log burner. I can see where to fit it. I can see how to do it. I can see.....the Promised Land. A happy wife and a happy life. As opposed to that hoary Land Rover dictum: One wife. Livid.
  13. Hmmmmm. Time to bring this knotty problem out of the -its-too-hard- box , I think.
  14. @PNAmble, that's exactly our approach. - It's new, it's different , go carefully - Passiv Design backs you into a visual corner. Humans crave focus, visually interesting focus. And I don't know about you, but I can stare for hours at a log fire and feel soothed by heat, warmth, a freezing back, and endless visual drama of a log giving up the ghost. Passiv Design says in that horribly Germanic way - Das ist Verboten! Boody Germans (for those who don't know , I'm German) What's more delicious than sitting with your best mate , silent except for the sparkles and warmth of a fire. @Jenni, that's all that's left, I think.
  15. Humbug. Sorry I'll get my coat
  16. Welcome to the Nightmare Club. Self building is first and foremost a test of character. All the Planner is doing, is giving you a Snagging List of the things you need to do. Do them. Or buy somebody's services to have them done for you.
  17. That post (the one immediately above) was unkind, unnecessary and hurtful.
  18. Mine uses the following technique: "Well how do I know what I want until I see what you've done? Eh? Answer me that?" I'm afraid I lost it, and answered.... "How do I know what I think until I hear what YOU say? Since you won't tell me what you want until AFTER I've done it, I'm on a proper loser here sweetheart" Silence. Rictus grin. Still married.
  19. Might as well have. At least they'd be a focal-friggin-point. "Oh look sweetheart if you poke that fish you get a real buzzzz" I've been playing this Self Build game now for 9 years... Made stirling efforts to incorporate good design practice, included key people in design discussions , tried to build to higher build standards than needed - and still = Plug sockets in the wrong places (6) = No focal point in the sitting room = 6 years behind schedule = Absolutely exhausted And she hits me with an absence of focus . Welcome to the Principal Designer role dear. What goes where, by when and how much do you want to spend? Don't misunderstand me. I'm one of the most overpriviledged people I know - all I've done for these last years is get out of bed and build a house every working day. Don't have to do a real job like most of us. I'm just thoroughly, deeply knackered. It's time to move on. Time to give others to the job and sign cheques.
  20. You bad man. Almost as bad as @Pocster
  21. Exactly. Business opportunity for someone then?
  22. Well @Iceverge, we've already got a fish tank and (the equivalent of) an electric fire. £40 worth of pure joy from Aldi. An hour with it on it's lowest setting and we need to switch it off. No : she needs summat to LOOK AT. FFS. A focal point. Summat to warm cockles not flesh. We're already warm enough. And all because everyone visiting - we've had more than normal this summer -asks "Where's your fireplace?" The crunch came when the electricians (two really nice lads) asked that question - after saying "Hey it's warm in 'ere innit."
  23. Hey lads, I've had an idea. How about one of those calor gask space heaters that you find in cafes outside on the street?
  24. She wants a fire. One she can see. One visitors can see. FFS folks. Whassa bloke to do? Make the house warm all the bloody time, - underfloor heat - and when folks come, but can't see a fire, it's cold somehow (?) I've a good mind to put a log burner in. 🥵
×
×
  • Create New...