Jump to content

MJNewton

Members
  • Posts

    1354
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by MJNewton

  1. We've got an ex-showhome and having ripped a lot of it apart to extend it have actually found it to be really well built. I always assumed from this it's because obviously it will be on display and under scrutiny - perhaps used for BC inspection (do they inspect them all?) - and so warranted some attention to detail.
  2. I think that's how they did our house, with just then a thin levelling compound at the end to neaten up the surface for covering.
  3. Might a low-water 'traditional' screed such as Tarmac Truscreed be an option? We had it in our extension as it has a relatively short drying time (7 days per 25mm) and can also be laid a bit thinner than normal at around 50mm and less depending on situation.
  4. How about cutting a hole in the OSB and fitting a piece of glass? ?
  5. I did exactly this too - thought it was something with my roof construction but it's sounding not uncommon! Only been in a couple of years but it's only a 4m length so not a big deal if I do have to redo should it fail from UV exposure. I suspect it'd still keep working for sometime even when it does start to perish.
  6. I wouldn't be so sure about that - speaking to the support guys and delivery drivers at DIY Kitchens they say they've never been so busy. Seems that cancelled holidays and other Covid-related savings means that loads of people are replacing kitchens at the moment.
  7. Thanks everyone. It's more for my own peace of mind rather than BR compliance. I've actually managed to run things now just within spec having moved things around a bit.
  8. Okay thanks; might experiment with positioning a bit and see what might fit if the need arises.
  9. I think it was the risk of the water moving too fast that was my concern, resulting in gurgling. Or is that unlikely in what I am assuming would be regarded as relatively short run? I don't think I could squeeze in an AAV if so.
  10. I believe the recommended fall for 40mm waste pipes is 18-90mm per metre... I am struggling to stay within this though on a new kitchen sink installation in order to avoid some obstacles and fit everything in. It might end up being more like the equivalent of 120mm per metre - might this cause issues? The waste pipe is just under a metre long and connects into an internal soil stack via a strap boss adapter. I could maybe put in a bit of a dog leg with two 45 degree bends to allow the pipe to be a bit flatter but that feels like more a bodge than having too steep a pipe...?
  11. Yes, as well as a KFC and Costa if that's what they want in place before houses can be built... ?
  12. Ah, I see. I didn't realise they'd moved the solenoid out of the machine. I'll try and err on the side of caution I think and arrange for a downward facing connection to suit all requirements.
  13. For some reason I've always had this idea that an open upstand might be at risk if causing a flood if there's a downstream blockage... but then probably no more so that a sealed connection to a pre-trap spigot as it'd go up through the sink hole anyway. I suppose you'd have a sink's worth of buffering before it overspilled on to the floor though.
  14. That's an interesting manifold setup - looks very 'continental'! (Is it Ikea?) The flexible pipe looks handy for routing, and I can only assume it is not at the same risk of blockages that such things on a toilet waste are given it being smoother (and a different type of waste material... with apologies to those reading this over lunch).
  15. I must admit I do most (well, all!) plumbing in pushfit but I did a bit of copper and soldering in the last house and just about got on with it. I'm tempted to make a soldered up manifold outside the cupboard and then mount that inside and connect everything up. Thing is I haven't got a blowtorch anymore (lent it to someone... grrr) so that'd be an additional expense that I might not have need to use again. My backup was still to use copper but use compression fittings which many of the components would be anyway (eg isolation valves) so might still look okay.
  16. I thought there might be, although the manual for our proposed dishwasher doesn't mention it (but I'm sure I'd read elsewhere it does). Whilst having it downwards facing (like yours) would make things a little more difficult for me it'd be playing it safe just in case and it won't become any easier to do this than right now.
  17. Looks perfectly functional to me! You've reminded me that modern appliances seem to always come with anti-flood hoses so I must make sure I'm not too tight for space to accommodate them. Do you/anyone know if orientation matters?
  18. I note you've used telescopic components too - I can see that they're really useful to enabling a neat installation lining everything up just where you want it.
  19. That looks like a neat idea, and could make installation slightly easier as it'd give a vertical adjustment below the manifold in addition to those above it if I too changed the whole trap.
  20. I've already bought a McAlpine space saver kit (it does seem good quality as you say) which I thought looked useful as it shifts most of the pipework to the back to allow more storage space within the cupboard. No AAV on the trap though... Perhaps one could be added to the centre spigot if required? That said, I'm not sure I've had gurgling issues before (elsewhere in the house I mean - this is a new kitchen in a new room), and this pipe run to the soil stack is fairly short so might that also help?
  21. As do Fischer's UX range that expand into whatever shape is required to suit 'problem' materials. I struggled with the cheapest of cheap generic wall plugs for years until discovering these...
  22. In case there's any doubt, this isn't quite what I had in mind...
  23. Does anyone have photos of their under-sink plumbing (of course you do) that you wouldn't mind sharing (maybe not)? I'm looking for inspiration as to how to lay things out... For what it's worth I've got a 1.5 bowl sink, mixer tap and dishwasher to cater for. My supply and waste pipes will be coming in from one side too. Your setup doesn't need to match though - I can cherry pick interesting features from anything I'm sure.
  24. They say the camera never lies, but that's not to say it necessarily tells the whole truth either. I always look to my Dad for help when I'm bothered by something with the house (I take after him in many ways so he gets it) but as he doesn't live nearby I often have to send him photos... I invariably can't capture the imperfections I'm trying to highlight though and he always reminds me that if that's the case then perhaps they're not quite as big as they are in my mind. It is also reminds me that other people's photos probably aren't showing their defects either. Thanks again for all the input. It really has made me feel a lot better and I can see myself re-reading this thread next time I've discovered something else to fret about. (Probably at the weekend if I don't spot something sooner... ;-))
  25. I want to pick out some of the specifics when I've got more time later but in the meantime thanks for all the input - it has been very useful and reassuring. And not just reassuring in terms of showing that it's not just me that has these thoughts but also that evidently other people's houses aren't necessarily 'perfect' either... and yet to an outsider I bet they look pretty much so!
×
×
  • Create New...