Mat well

daiking

We've an Un-trimmed mat well by the front door with carpet in it. 

I've got some 15x15 Alu angle laying around which I could trim the edge with. Is it just a case of using mitre bond on the corners and a drop of some sealant gunk to secure them?

What is the flooring?

I made a mat well by our front door in a slate tiled floor. The well is "un trimmed" just the (neatly) cut edges of the tiles abutting the mat.

I wouldn't want to stick trim over the edges, unless someone has made a pigs ear of cutting the well.

4 hours ago, daiking said:

We've an Un-trimmed mat well by the front door with carpet in it. 

I've got some 15x15 Alu angle laying around which I could trim the edge with. Is it just a case of using mitre bond on the corners and a drop of some sealant gunk to secure them?

cyanoacrylate won't bond aluminium with any notable strength. 

The one I installed by our door is trimmed with aluminium profile but with the flat on the floor so it could be screwed down. Thus the only visible edge is the 1-2mm of the aluminium and just creates a neat edge. 

I'd be ultra careful about using aluminium angle especially at the corners. Just asking to rip into someone's bare feet! It would imo need some very subtle filing of the corners.

CT1 Power Grab n Bond? Be a biatch if ever you wanted to replace the angle though.....

White UPVC angle stuck with "ordinary" CT1?

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'd be ultra careful about using aluminium angle especially at the corners. Just asking to rip into someone's bare feet! It would imo need some very subtle filing of the corners.

CT1 Power Grab n Bond? Be a biatch if ever you wanted to replace the angle though.....

White UPVC angle stuck with "ordinary" CT1?

White PVC angle on the floor? 

Would last about a day, ( and that's if nobody was in :D ). 

:P

@Barney12 I know but its not structural. Just to keep the shape until it's settled in position with proper adhesive. 

@Onoff of course to the sharp edges but door thresholds manage ok. Plastic would be s**t. 

@Nickfromwales it needs a little something to finish it off but that looks a bit OTT for me. 

I'll see what the wife says. If i recall correctly the carpet is foam underlayed but sat directly on wedi type board.

31 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Go for brushed stainless or alu?

Also watch that the tiles don't get chipped on those exposed edges in the meantime. 

'Meantime' is since last Christmas 

xD

Edited by daiking

1 minute ago, jack said:

1) - ?

2) - Bob

3) - Pete(?)

What do you call a man with a rabbit up his bum?

Warren.

Just now, jack said:

Is 1) Russell?

Yep.

You sure it's not Keith Vaz for the rabbit thing? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daiking said:

Tyler

Bang on.....Of course NICK would have got you the point too!

Actually this thread  had made me realise how bloody naff white PVC tile trims will look in our bathroom. Can't wait for them to go all yellow and scuffed. Have to work on the wife to go for chrome.

Edited by Onoff