Hardwood, plastic or aluminium?

patp

One point to note when getting quotes for windows, particularly if you have very large sliders, is that some of the suppliers will quote against your specification but will re-size the windows according to what they can supply without pointing this out.  It is all in the small print and you will have to interrogate their quote in detail in order to spot the discrepancies.   I had this from a handful of suppliers when I was geting prices where banks of three windows with one being a slider were divided into banks of 4 windows.

On 29/05/2019 at 14:33, D Walter said:

We have a lot of glass in our house and I got quotes from about 15 different suppliers and manufacturers.  In the end I went for Internorm UPVC triple glazed windows, clad with aluminium on the outside.  The inside has a 3M tape covering which makes the inside look and feel like aluminium.  Not a mm of UPVC in sight.  The "whole window" U values are between 0.7 and 0.8 depending on frame to glass ratio, which is basically equivalent to triple glazed timber windows.  The windows were significantly cheaper than the Internorm timber windows and priced almost identically to the best price I managed to get for aluminium windows from other suppliers/manufacturers but with massively better U values (the best U values I got for aluminium windows was around the 1.5 level).  The quality of the windows is superb and I have nothing but praise for the distributor I bought them through and their installation team (we used the supplier's installation team as some of the larger windows were over 6 square metres and I preferred the supplier rather than my builder to bear the risk of any accidents).  More importantly, my builder, who is the ultimate perfectionist, was really impressed.

Do you have a link for this? 

On 07/06/2019 at 13:56, Mr Punter said:

@D Walter do At-Eco supply and fit or supply only?

At-Eco were the ones that did the  Charlie Luxton fit (there is a u tube).  Superb install from the video, nothing remotely like ours or others on here with other suppliers.

• Like 1

Good recommend as it is often the case that windows are let down by install.  Ideally best to have someone do the whole job so you are not left with issues. Often I have used approved installers who are really slapdash. They send semi skilled teams who just want to screw the windows in the holes and on to the next job.

• Like 2

@Mr Punter yep nail on head....we used the suppliers install service and it was utter rubbish, most of the team had little or no experience of fitting Internorm were used to standard upvc but had watched the training videos for Internorm when they were taken on by the suppliers who were themselves Gold standard Internorm dealers.  All absolute cobblers!!

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from Internorm, I haven't seen any other company that do alu-clad PVCU mentioned on here, so if anyone has any other suggestions for alu-clad PVCU companies that would be great. I do like the Internorm product and hopefully in a couple of weeks we will have our building regs plans so can start to get quotes.

12 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Aside from Internorm, I haven't seen any other company that do alu-clad PVCU mentioned on here, so if anyone has any other suggestions for alu-clad PVCU companies that would be great. I do like the Internorm product and hopefully in a couple of weeks we will have our building regs plans so can start to get quotes.

The Munster Aluclad range have a foamed uPVC core, with aluminium on the outside and timber on the inside: http://www.munsterjoinery.co.uk/

PITA to deal with, though.  They are good value, but being so big, they aren't really interested in dealing with self-builders.

• Thanks 1