Outside stairs

I'll soon be getting started on building an outside staircase and bin store underneath with the help of my block layer.

The structure will be concrete block and lintels for the treads. Rising 2.7m up to access the roof terrace.

At the moment I'm wondering on the best way to adhere the limestone treads and risers to the concrete lintels.

I was thinking of using a very good grab adhesive, any recommendations? Or just a traditional mortar bed. Obviously will be looking for a slight fall on the treads.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

On 28/05/2019 at 18:31, willbish said:

At the moment I'm wondering on the best way to adhere the limestone treads and risers to the concrete lintels.

They are a bit pricey .... and riven stuff is not ideal for steps as it’s uneven. You can get sawn for less than those linked prices if you shop around. 

29 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They are a bit pricey .... and riven stuff is not ideal for steps as it’s uneven. You can get sawn for less than those linked prices if you shop around. 

Originally we were going to use Stonemarket man made bullnose flags but they have been discontinued from the 2019 catalogue for an unspecified reason. I'm guessing they've had quality issues.

Whatever we use will continue up the stairs on to the terrace and also at ground level. Trying to achieve a traditional look rather than contemporary which I associate with sawn.

Ive been persuaded to build the staircase and then face with the pavers much later on in the build to avoid them being damaged.

Will be allowing for a 50mm thick tread. The dimension of the paver used to face the riser is less critical. Allowing for 20-30mm

We have India stone stuck down with mortar on some steps and 10 years down the line we have had some come off. 

Our steps have rough cut edges rather than bull nose not that it makes any difference.