BIM Objects??

Who knows about BIM objects?

I've just discovered them and from the sounds of it, although nowhere I found on a quick search said this exactly, they are objects you can download which represent the dimensions of a product. So Could I download, for example, Isotex BIM objects into sketchup and then just build the house with that, instead of drawing floorplans with it, and deriving a 3D picture from that?

I just wanted to know how they worked and what they were in an applicaable sense. I'm really struggling even with Sketchup, and just thought that if there was a drag and drop item representing exactly what I would be using, then that might make things rather easier. 

If you need an alternative to SketchUp perhaps look at Fusion 360. Free for home users. See youtubd for how to get it free.

Google suggests it supports BIM objects but I've not tried it.

I found SketchUp easy to use at first, and even did a planning application using it, but then more complex things seemed hard. Been using F360 for only a little while but it seems easier to to me.

3 hours ago, Big Neil said:

I just wanted to know how they worked and what they were in an applicaable sense. I'm really struggling even with Sketchup, and just thought that if there was a drag and drop item representing exactly what I would be using, then that might make things rather easier. 

Is there anything specific that you are finding difficult with Sketchup? I did use a few external objects in it but only furniture. The main geometry was mostly OK when I learnt to use layers and groups correctly (I hope I did!) 

Alternatively I found SweetHome3D great, but had to use Sketchup to create stairs and then import them to SH3D. 

1 hour ago, oldkettle said:

The main geometry was mostly OK when I learnt to use layers and groups correctly (I hope I did!) 

I hope I did, too. Some thoughts on the subject:

https://edavies.me.uk/2012/12/sketchup-component-layers/

https://edavies.me.uk/2014/01/sketchup-components-and-groups/

My preference is to use components rather than groups, as explained in the second of those posts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Davies said:

I hope I did, too. Some thoughts on the subject:

https://edavies.me.uk/2012/12/sketchup-component-layers/

https://edavies.me.uk/2014/01/sketchup-components-and-groups/

My preference is to use components rather than groups, as explained in the second of those posts.

Very interesting, thank you. 

I probably just followed an advice similar to the one you referenced. I used components for repeatable parts, like doors, steps and stairs. I used groups for levels, external / internal walls. In any case as long as all primitives are on the default level the rest is not too bad. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:40, oldkettle said:

Is there anything specific that you are finding difficult with Sketchup?

Haven't used sketchup for awhile but I found it was difficult to get it to produce 2D scale drawings of a 3D object (eg your elevation drawings) or do much with text.

Has any of that changed?

Just now, Temp said:

Haven't used sketchup for awhile but I found it was difficult to get it to produce 2D scale drawings of a 3D object (eg your elevation drawings) or do much with text.

Has any of that changed?

it sounds like you haven't been introduced to 'Layout', which is the presenting arm of the program that uses the model you have made. You need the pro version or a time limited demo to use Layout.

https://help.sketchup.com/en/layout/creating-documents-layout

Things have changed, as Trimble have moved the demo from a standalone program to a web based interface which i hate. Though i don't have much call to use Sketchup anymore, but was a pretty good all round tool.

3 hours ago, Temp said:

Has any of that changed?

Well, you are right, the free version still handles the text horribly, although standard 2D seemed OK - I just used the view from the top. I didn't do anything particularly difficult though, so quite possibly haven't reached the point of failure you saw. 

As @Moonshine says, the new version is web based, they probably realised they could not monetize the software otherwise. Fortunately, older 2017/2018 free versions still work. I doubt they will win the battle for paid customers. 

On 21/05/2019 at 17:40, oldkettle said:

Is there anything specific that you are finding difficult with Sketchup?

It's principally doing something to a measure. drawing a line and then zooming in and out etc seems fairly easy, but I can't figure out the sizes, scales etc.  I'm sure i'm being thick but I rarely find issues getting to grips with computer bits, but this drawing malarkey is getting to me. I was never any good at art so it might be the similarities frustrating me, when actually all I want to do is draw a box to show the size of a house and then draw on scaled internal and external walls etc etc.

2 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

It's principally doing something to a measure. drawing a line and then zooming in and out etc seems fairly easy, but I can't figure out the sizes, scales etc.  I'm sure i'm being thick but I rarely find issues getting to grips with computer bits, but this drawing malarkey is getting to me. I was never any good at art so it might be the similarities frustrating me, when actually all I want to do is draw a box to show the size of a house and then draw on scaled internal and external walls etc etc.

When you start drawing a line you can actually type in the length. You can use a tape measure tool to check the size at any point, just need to be able to select the points correctly. You can also add dimensions so that if you change the length of something it is reflected - something I missed a lot in SweetHome3D. 

1 hour ago, Big Neil said:

so I can drfaw a box then define the lengths?

What if i do this with a box then a second box on the outside. Can I then define the distance between the two, so as to show the width of you the wall?

You can specify the sizes as you draw a rectangle, comma separated IIRC, or you can resize after you drew a line and again specify the size. For the wall width there are several ways. I usually use the tape measure tool to create a marker for the required distance, then draw a line through this marker. 

There are very useful walk-through videos showing the basics of house design in SketchUp, can't recommend enough as a starting point. 

On 21/05/2019 at 12:42, Big Neil said:

Who knows about BIM objects?

I've just discovered them and from the sounds of it, although nowhere I found on a quick search said this exactly, they are objects you can download which represent the dimensions of a product. So Could I download, for example, Isotex BIM objects into sketchup and then just build the house with that, instead of drawing floorplans with it, and deriving a 3D picture from that?

Go to the manufacturers website and if they have BIM objects they will list them under downloads. If a product warrants a BIM object existing for it and the manufacturer offer them (MK, Marley etc. do), then ultimately yes that is how it works. When we do M&E drawings, often ducts, conduit, HVAC units and cable tray, pipes and things like that can be drawn within say a ceiling void accurately so that we can ensure it will all fit! To be honest, it's a bit of a pest. For a house I wouldn't waste my time and I doubt sketchup could cope - we are doing it on Autodesk products like Revit and even then there is the "super-computer" to handle the big drawings like entire floors of office blocks etc.

Edited by Carrerahill

2 hours ago, oldkettle said:

There are very useful walk-through videos showing the basics of house design in SketchUp, can't recommend enough as a starting point. 

are there any in particular you could link. I just want to start with being able to do a kiddy house. A square, with 4 walls, a front door, 4 windows at the front etc etc.

• 1 year later...

To most manufacturers BIM means Autodesk REVIT, which you can buy if you've got a spare few grand. Sadly if you are using other 3D software your problem will be the highly proprietary file formats. One of my pet peeves!

Some provide models in proper file exchange formats such as Autodesk DXF, FBX or OBJ,  but most do not.

There is a vast array of information available in BIM format, you just can't access it without REVIT. There are a few cheaper 3D programs that will import it but your still talking hundreds of pounds. There also many online sites that claim to convert all 3D formats, but don't. Blender, the open source 3D package I use has a paid add-on for BIM in alpha, no idea how good it is.

Basically unless you want to pay for proprietary software you are going to struggle.