Micro Septic Tanks

Barney12

Has anyone got any experience of these small tanks? 

https://septic-tanks-emptied.co.uk/index.php/micro-septic-tank-cube

A few people sell them, the link is just one example.

Im wanting to put a toilet in the bottom corner of the garden which in no way can be connected to the existing treatment plant (which is a fair distance and up hill). The toilet won’t get a huge amount of use.

Cant help thinking they would be pretty easy to make your own?

Anyone found/used any better solutions?

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Im wanting to put a toilet in the bottom corner of the garden which in no way can be connected to the existing treatment plant (which is a fair distance and up hill). The toilet won’t get a huge amount of use.

Composting toilet?

2 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Yes, a possible option. The whole pee and poo separation seems like a faff though!

If it was an outside toilet, I would assume it is mostly for a pee when working in the garden and I would not expect it to get used for No 2's very often.

We have a stable down the end of our plot and would love to put a toilet in there (and possibly a shower at some point) but it is too far from the house (600 ft) to join that sewage treatment system. 

This thread raises 2 questions.  

The Portapura system seems ideal but there is no information that I have seen about emptying the sludge - a system that size would not merit the tanker coming out to siphon the sludge out so does it need no emptying at all?

The IBC system talks about being buried - if these can be buried, why can’t the standard IBC cheapo tanks get buried?  We don’t want a rainwater harvesting system as such, but with a large kitchen garden, we do use a lot of water in the summer.

Edited by Sue B

9 minutes ago, Sue B said:

The IBC system talks about being buried - if these can be buried, why can’t the standard IBC cheapo tanks get buried?  We don’t want a rainwater harvesting system as such, but with a large kitchen garden, we do use a lot of water in the summer.

Exactly what I’m sorting currently ..! But will fully fill them and then put mass concrete around the tops and sides before they are covered over. Can’t see why the steel framed and reinforced ones wouldn’t work. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sue B said:

The micro septic tanks I linked to are just standard converted IBC’s. I’ve even spotted an eBay seller that supplies the parts. But apart from those ABS collars it all looks like a few quids worth of standard 110mm drainage. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cube-septic-tank-DIY-kit/254222495747?hash=item3b30d77003:g:HxYAAOSwtYRcyKeS

Just need to source those flanges?

EDIT: Bingo

https://www.pond-planet.co.uk/pond-c1/construction-c51/pipework-fittings-c35/kockney-koi-solvent-weld-flanged-liner-connectors-p2590/s4288?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=kockney-koi-solvent-weld-flanged-liner-connectors-size-110mm-size-110mm-swlc-110mm&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwOaw5M-V4gIVarXtCh07sgaTEAQYAiABEgLZAPD_BwE

Edited by Barney12

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

It looks more like a cess pit with an overflow, no separate chambers fir bugs to work???

I wondered that. A proper septic tank has a settlement chamber and the liquid flows over a weir.  You would struggle to get the bits for that into an IBC without completely cutting the top off and re attaching it.