zenith

sussexlogs

Its really amazing how much some of these national companies charge and lots of poor unsuspecting customers think they are getting a good deal.  We had a quote for about £5k to replace all our windows and patio doors.  My friend was just about to get hers done - identical house - by Anglian for £11k.  Luckily I told her about my company (distinguished Windows - excellent and highly recommended) and she changed over, saving her £6000. 

The owner said the worst he had experienced was a house that Everest quoted over £50k and he only charged them £11,000.  And I cant see any difference in the quality. 

They'll probably half it if you don't seem interested. When people do this I always feel do I really want to do business with a company that was willing to do me over!

My 3G alu clad windows are costing about 1/3 of that ex VAT and fitting. I'd guess something like 7-8000 would be reasonable including VAT and fitting for PVC 2G windows.

There's not really enough info to comment in detailI as it would need eg the complexity of the windows - are they windows with 6 lights and 2 opening panels each. But DG is now seriously inexpensive; a decent fence or tree work can cost more.

But I can give you quite aggressive real numbers within the last month in the Midlands.

• 2x3 storey student houses.
  • 4 doors, 2 of which are composite with 2 x quarter windows. Suited locks to front doors (ie master keys for LL). All locks thumbturn.
  • 22 windows. No complex windows. 18 windows are identical. White finish.
  • One opening pane to almost all windows.
  • I am not certain that I specified Grade A this time as is my normal practice, as the whole contract was through in about 3 weeks.
  • Includes scaffolding as necessary.

Total cost just on £10k inc. VAT, which is from a local supplier. IMO a good price. My alternative quote from my usual supplier was about the same, but they couldn't meet the timescales. IMO go for a locally owned supplier with a 10-20 year track record and a turnover of low millions, where you can talk directly to the owner if you ask.

The last time I did a single house it was iirc around 2-2.5k for a "rosewood plank" upvc front door and 5 windows (4 casements and one tall thin twin-opener), from a non-VAT supplier.

Here I would be aiming for around £5-6k for your group assuming a mix of complexity: £400-500 (generous) per window ave, £750-1000 for the stable door, £1000-1500 for the patio door (lintel?). Plus add £1000 for a "wood" finish, or £1500 if Irish Oak finish. All including fitting and VAT.

But then Sussex is full of retired bankers and new age organic hobby farmers with posh staircases and lots of thoroughbred petunias, and chickens and Vietnamese mini-porkers that are a lot of work for one week of breakfasts :D .

This is the generally basic "look" of my fittings, so you will need to adjust your expectations for spec.

Ferdinand

sexample-windows.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1