Render advice.

zoothorn

On 29/03/2019 at 20:53, zoothorn said:

I'm having 'schoolboy' errors using this stuff

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone-general-purpose-mortar-5kg/36857?tc=AA4&ds_kid=92700034796463876&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249407&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm-Ko4Zmo4QIVirftCh3DSQP5EAQYASABEgKhw_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

.. Ive used to patch a few outer wall spots of my house, badly crumbled away. My mix once applied, next day is crumbly itself: I can pick & rub it away like soft wet sand almost. What am I doing wrong? 1/2 the time Ive knocked up say a bowl-full, to do a patch repair, & fine/ sets hard. Ive lost my confidence.

On tub it says for general mortar & also -render- jobs. I have an outside 3/4 sq metre area of badly frost damaged brick faces, & repointing I just discoved last thing in the day.. dammit: all nice & prepped tho. But I must do tmrw- last good dry day.

So is this stuff sufficient? (if I can figure my mix out ok) or is there, preferably as Ive lost confidence with this stuff now, is there a small bag of ready-mix render available? or if not what do I need for my 1 hr job (~1m area). I have tiling floats to use, should be fine. I don't know actually what the difference is between render, mortar.

Thanks, zoot

Wait 48 hours then try it - it can take 72 hours till it feels solid.

20 hours ago, newhome said:

I was going to ask that but thought that we might be going over 2 pages ?

Its all newhomes fault we went onto pg3..!

Yes not ideal, but 2 coats of good masonry paint on this bit of exposed brick: Its just too high up for me to safely render it.. it takes proper arm effort unlike painting so not happy with safety.

32 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@Declan52 been reading up on times before I can masonry paint my render (3 days to 3 flippin months!?).. what's the consensus here?

godammit page 3 already.. thx zoot

Wait until it goes light in colour.  Might take a while if there are plenty of showers though.  3 days  maybe.  Once it's dry it will really suck the paint in.  So you won't have to wait long between coats. 

All seems solid thankfully- a bit pale 'gluey-white' in areas oddly, but all feels hard & stuck firm.

A quick Q whilst here. I need to remove a sky dish on the apex of my gable/ soffits, & throw it in the river. Only a normal 2-tier ladder to hand. I can get to it safely enough I think by shimmying along my 1st floor kitchen (80's extension) roof, a leg aside, sloly along the crest. Will this be ok loadwise? Im a normal (& fit) 12st.. not a big fattie. Or, a better way to get at it without a hooky-over roof ladder?

I saw my builder hopping about my main roof one story higher, one hand on chimney so I think the load of my arse ok.. but he is smaller.

Thanks.. zoot.

006.JPG

Putting a ladder against the gable end then shuffling along the ridge? Access from the top of the ladder will be precarious. Load wise not a problem but you might damage your ridge tiles.

Presumably your two tier ladder is a double extension type? Like this:

ae235.jpeg.f7bd12cf48282e7e333b94f24e64bb95.jpeg

Sometimes you can separate the sections. If long enough you could use one section to access from the side and buy a set of wheeled hooks that attach to a normal ladder. Cheapest I could find from a cursory search:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Tools-336094-Ladder-1015mm/dp/B01MDNGCVK/ref=asc_df_B01MDNGCVK/?

190744890_315jGPS-oL._AC_SY400_.jpg.5160077505529aee546aa9250e424aad.jpg

You push the ladder up wheel side down then flip over at the top and the hooks go over the ridge and rest on the tiles the other side. 

(Of course whatever you do one or the other neighbour will nick your access ladder whilst you're up there! :) )

Edited by Onoff

I would leave the satellite dish until you have a roofer for something, then go "while you are up there..".

If not, you want a crawler or a thing that turns your ladder into one. Probably £100-180 and £30-40 respectively. Or hire one for not too much for a day.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

@Onoff sensible suggestions chaps many thx.. had wondered if a roof adaptor thing might exist: ideal, but for storing the sod (no shed yet/ ltd space in or around side of hse). Be great if I could borrow one.. not poss.

Yes 2-tier Lyte (great tho flexes worryingly in middle at ~ max extention!). Just looking at my pic I wonder: if I put ladder from the bank close by, RHS of extention, extend it to the ridge under the f'ugly dish/ wrap some big cushioning around ladder top to protect ridge tiles-?

Will get an adaptor, when I have shed sorted- a job down the line you see.

Onoff I made you laugh at last then! cheers zoot

No can do.. too high for me to get ontop the extention, let alone reach up to flippin dish innit. I'll get one of these adaptors tho & attack it from bank side, when I'm brave enough.

Cheers guys. job (render) done.

Just leave it until something else needs doing and someone comes with a decent ladder or scaffold tower. No point in trying to kill yourself over something that you just don't like the look of. Life is short enough without trying to shorten it! 

The stunts I've pulled on roofs...taking down stacks and sliding the bricks down one at a time to a mate waiting at the eaves. I remember getting up with the intent of fixing a tilted pot to find it came off in my hand and the whole thing was "live". 

• 2 weeks later...

Right onto my next job! solid double 60/40 driveway wooden gates. Uk usually pine, or fancier oak, onto round 'king' posts I assume concreted in.

I've looked on YT but can't find any clips of these ubiquitous gates, oddly. I think my wording wrong? anyone know what wording I mean, so I can do a thread?

cheers zoot schmooter.

Edited by zoothorn

55 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Right onto my next job! solid double 60/40 driveway wooden gates. Uk usually pine, or fancier oak, onto round 'king' posts I assume concreted in.

I've looked on YT but can't find any clips of these ubiquitous gates, oddly. I think my wording wrong? anyone know what wording I mean, so I can do a thread?

cheers zoot schmooter.

What are your constraints and budget?

Looking at your setting, I would probably suggest a pair of farm pedestrian gates from an agricultural stockist would fit in well.

Just been looking into it for a neighbour who is on a budget, and a pair of hunky-chunky (ie the bloke reversing into it will lose the damage war) metal hanging posts, plus a pair of 5ft metal farm gates, comes in at under £200 including VAT for 5 bar gates, or about £250 including VAT for wooden ones from my usual stockist.

Because they are likely to have a range of sizes you can probably do your 60:40.

The thing that would need to be sorted here is mountings for the wooden gates on the posts, and some form of fastening in the middle.

Personally I like a single big one if it is mainly an entrance for cars as I am lazy and do not like opening 2 gates.

One solution.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Hi Ferdinand- just googling 'farm pedestrian gates '. pics sort of the idea, but not quite on board with wording.

Budget- Ive yet to even see what a gate of the sort I'm after actually might cost. I still need the words IE driveway gates? wood entrance gates? farm pedestrian gates?

I seem to do ok with just gates ‘countyname’  Or gates on the eBay search.

Or look for fencing suppliers, who will also do gates.

or .. depending on poshness required ... something like wrought iron gates, which would work out at £600-£1250 depending.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Ok this sort of thing, but 60/40 (I can only just get car in, & gates closed in this config). these square posts look good too.

https://www.huwsgray.co.uk/shop/sawn-tanalised-5-bar-field-gate.html

So can you sum up what I need, wordwise, so I can do a thread? "tannanised field driveway gates job- to do".. ain't gonna cut the mustard.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Ok this sort of thing, but 60/40 (I can only just get car in, & gates closed in this config). these square posts look good too.

https://www.huwsgray.co.uk/shop/sawn-tanalised-5-bar-field-gate.html

So can you sum up what I need, wordwise, so I can do a thread? "tannanised field driveway gates job- to do".. ain't gonna cut the mustard.

Not really clear whether you want a thread title or search terms.

But for a thread title, start with something like “Help with my driveway gate”, or Zoot’s Driveway Gate Project.

As for buying one, that agent for example has every size from 3 feet to 12 feet, so you just buy the two you need and get them to identify the extra bits you need. they are about 10% more than mine, but that is not a bad price.

To find an agricultural supplier, just look under Agricultural Merchant and go and see or phone up and ask for prices. Or ask a farmer.

Make damn sure you use a Postsaver on your wooden posts of you concrete them in, or a way of keeping the wood out of contact with the ground, which will add 50-100% to its life. Or buy guaranteed posts.

(I love the Birthday Zoot header photo.)

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Yes thats it Ferdinand for a thread header, simple as I guess. Couldn't spit the words out for some reason.

So for the thread I need help how to find 60-40 of the 5-tier pine gates in that link, & then start asking about posts, tips, how to do & all that.. like postsaver I assume will be mentioned etc.

(I can't see the picture, still got my green Z. am I not allowed to view my own arse on here? what's the fkn world come to. I want to add a sign off ditty too.. but no idea how).

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

Sliding gate?

Assuming these are "get out and open close them" gates rather than electrically operated?

Sliding gate: I had thought similarly only just now.. an idea, but not very cottager'y I thought, so will be boring old open-inwards's ones.

Edited by zoothorn