Do I need to Use A BBA Certified Render Board

Triassic

I’m never sure about BBA certification, should I be using products that are certified, or can I just use the most cost effective product?

In particular, there are plenty of render boards out there which don’t appear to be BBA approved, would I matter if I used an unapproved board ?

I recently received an email from Premier Guarantee warning about the use of MGO boards.

The type of board you choose will depend on what the render system manual specifies. If you are selecting non-BBA, check with your warranty provider and BC. I would choose a BBA system and a board like Bluclad.

Isn't it wonderful, you search for BBA certified render board and you still get loads coming up that arent!

Makes you wonder how many people buy render boards thinking they're certified and they're not!  One on Ebay displays the BBA logo next to the product, but when asked for a copy, all I get is silence!

The BBA logo should include a number, normally in this format 'Certificate No. ??/????' at the bottom. You can check on the BBA website that the certificate is real and is valid. The packaging on the product will also include the BBA logo and number. Once outside the packaging however very difficult to prove if BBA certified or not - if the boards are printed with manufacturer details, shift codes etc this can help traceability.

The BBA will take action against abuse of the logo but I imagine with the growth of Ebay (and similar) it's almost impossible for them to follow every case.

It’s one of the boards approved by Krend for use with their system, It appears to meet lots of standards

Thermal Conductivity: 0.19 W/mK
Fire Classification: Class 0 Euroclass EN13501* A1 (Non-Combustible)
Reaction to Fire: Passed BS EN 1716 Reaction to Fire* Passed
Appearance: Solid flat sheet board
Colour & Odour: White, Odourless Change of State None
Vapour Resistance: Vapour Resistance 0.31 MNs/g (EN ISO 12572*)
Melting point: Melting point: 2400°C
Vapour pressure: EN ISO 12572: 2016 = 0.31 MNs.g-1.
pH level: pH level: 7.5
Solubility: Solubility: Insoluble in Water
Acoustic: 9mm Rw 28dB 12mm Rw 29dB 20mm Rw 31dB EN ISO 717-1:2013

Edited by Triassic

• 4 months later...

See the Premier Guarantee advice on 30th May 2019 regarding use of Magnesium Oxide Boards https://www.premierguarantee.com/resource-hub/magnesium-oxide-board-technical-update/ 'In external framed wall constructions: The boards shall not be used as an external render board, or as a backing board for direct applied polymer, resin or masonry brick slips, unless they have specific approval for that purpose identified in the third party product approval certificate.'