Onoff

Refurbing Old Aldi Electric Spray Gun

Recommended Posts

@Weebles thread on the CURRENT Aldi offering made me dig this old one out bought for peanuts from Aldi back in the day. Used last many years ago to spray 300' of close boarded fence. 

 

Seem to recall we thinned down the water based shed & fence treatment and ran it through the viscosity cup. It worked but was a bit "drippy". No big deal in the garden. 

 

This was completely green until I started cleaning it up half hour ago:

 

20190327_213126.thumb.jpg.5ceb3fee1752ca3aa9d9a18609652c79.jpg

 

Plugging it in it now and it just hums but seem to recall it made much more noise beforehand, like a "clatter".

 

Presume the electromagnet drives a piston pump?

 

20190327_213209.thumb.jpg.b7a2acf25e04785e70f3998e2d615ba2.jpg

 

Around the same time Screwfix were doing a seemingly identical model which I also bought but never used. Pic from one on Gumtree:

 

1498976430__86.thumb.JPG.744d41da116118a846c44f075f520321.JPG

 

Assuming this one works I can compare the working "workings" etc. Might attempt to use the new one to do my cheapo bathroom doors.

 

Also appears the design was branded as Power Devil. 

 

Might pick up a Lidl one tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long before this thread gets to 50 pages...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

@Weebles thread on the CURRENT Aldi offering made me dig this old one out bought for peanuts from Aldi back in the day. Used last many years ago to spray 300' of close boarded fence. 

 

Seem to recall we thinned down the water based shed & fence treatment and ran it through the viscosity cup. It worked but was a bit "drippy". No big deal in the garden. 

 

This was completely green until I started cleaning it up half hour ago:

 

 

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

 

Plugging it in it now and it just hums but seem to recall it made much more noise beforehand, like a "clatter".

 

Presume the electromagnet drives a piston pump?

 

 

 

Around the same time Screwfix were doing a seemingly identical model which I also bought but never used. Pic from one on Gumtree:

 

Assuming this one works I can compare the working "workings" etc. Might attempt to use the new one to do my cheapo bathroom doors.

 

Also appears the design was branded as Power Devil. 

 

Might pick up a Lidl one tomorrow.

 

To clean those they used to recommend unleaded petrol and a match ..... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bitpipe said:

How long before this thread gets to 50 pages...

 

Got to keep the traffic upon here! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will dedicate the same energy to this thread as I did on The Thead That Cannot Be Named. 

 

I had a nice electric stapler that died on me, was never able to get it going again. 

 

I feel your pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I will dedicate the same energy to this thread as I did on The Thead That Cannot Be Named. 

 

I had a nice electric stapler that died on me, was never able to get it going again. 

 

I feel your pain.

 

Wasn't the Aldi one of the same vintage of this spray gun? I had one bought for me as a present. One day it went "bang", more a mechanical than electrical bang and I consigned it to the "repair one day" draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

try running some hot water through it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been painting my Howdens primed MDF doors - getting a good finish with 1 coat of primer/undercoat and 2 of eggshell acrylic, all applied with mini rollers for smooth finishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bassanclan said:

try running some hot water through it

 

Tbh this green stuff forms like a skin I could peel off. If there's any of that in the internals I can't see hot water shifting it.

 

I think SWMBO attempted to clean it last. The pot probably had a little water in it and that's set up a lovely corrosive atmosphere.

 

The paint pot screws onto a black cowl in the picture above. The cowl is held onto the rest of the gun by 4 fixings that are so corroded I don't know whether they're cross head screws or rivets. I'll compare with the other gun. Might have to Dremmel some slots if I can't get grips on what's left of the screws.

 

Not got high hopes for it, time could be better spent elsewhere but I like a challenge, hate throwing things away and it keeps me out of the house! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are not allowed to start faffing with it until there's been a cutting of the red tape bathroom ceremony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Onoff said:

 

Seem to recall we thinned down the water based shed & fence treatment and ran it through the viscosity cup.

Did it come with a viscosity cup?

 

PS have not seen one in Lidl this week! (YET)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Did it come with a viscosity cup?

 

PS have not seen one in Lidl this week! (YET)

 

Yes it came with the cup.

 

I'm diving into Lidl S,oaks later did you want me to look? Had them yesterday as per pics in the other thread.

Edited by Onoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning after the mist coats and it's a thumbs up for the Lidl sprayer. Heading up to do another couple of coats on the ceilings and that should be them done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/03/2019 at 08:25, Onoff said:

m diving into Lidl S,oaks later did you want me to look? Had them yesterday as per pics in the other

Sorry day disappeared yesterday. I will pop in later - wonder if I can make it do emulsion suitably watered down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now