New Planning Application A couple of Questions

Ralph

First question.

What are your thoughts on the chances of a new planning application passing for change of design where the ridge height is about 2 meters higher? The original design was 2 storeys with a flat(ish) roof, the new one is 2 storeys with an apex.

There was no mention of roof heights in the original planning conditions and the permission is still in place. The site is rural, hidden amongst trees and while it’s higher over all it’s more modest in size.

The background is that we could not get the initial design of our house anywhere near budget. We have planning in place but the closest we got with a lot of compromises was still 60% over.

Second question.

Planning was applied for on March 4. The roads department have registered an interest (they did not before) with an intent to comment by Standard Consultation Expiry Date, March 26.

Since the original planning there has been a change of neighbour (150 meters from the house) who has commented, neither objecting to or supporting the new application but wants to be able to view the roads department comments before the end of the period of consultation.

So my question is can the roads department still comment after the Standard Consultation Expiry Date of March 26?

As always your comments are appreciated.

2 hours ago, Ralph said:

First question.

What are your thoughts on the chances of a new planning application passing for change of design where the ridge height is about 2 meters higher? The original design was 2 storeys with a flat(ish) roof, the new one is 2 storeys with an apex.

[...]

How long is a piece of string? Without detailed knowledge of the local micropolitics and recent local decisions, all anyone can do is give general guidance: of limited value, therefore.

2 meters may well not make any difference. Locally, a recent similar decision where the increase was three meters passed without comment. But you could be poking a hornet's nest. 

2 hours ago, Ralph said:

[...]

So my question is can the roads department still comment after the Standard Consultation Expiry Date of March 26?

Yes. Maybe not formally, but there's nothing to stop the commenter popping into his mates office (the planning Officer)  to give an update. The scenario you describe is in my limited experience, highly unlikely to be problematic. If the gap between you both is 150 meters, there are all sorts of things that can be done to mitigate perceived negative impact.

Just now, Temp said:

How does the new height compare with other houses nearby? I would spell that out in any revised application.

It's a bit of a mix, higher than the 70s bungalow and the 1.5 storey Scandinavian chalet style and not as high as the 2.5 Georgian. However you won't see our house from any of these due to the trees.

4 hours ago, Ralph said:

First question.

There was no mention of roof heights in the original planning conditions and the permission is still in place. The site is rural, hidden amongst trees and while it’s higher over all it’s more modest in size.

The background is that we could not get the initial design of our house anywhere near budget. We have planning in place but the closest we got with a lot of compromises was still 60% over.

Second question.

Planning was applied for on March 4. The roads department have registered an interest (they did not before) with an intent to comment by Standard Consultation Expiry Date, March 26.

Since the original planning there has been a change of neighbour (150 meters from the house) who has commented, neither objecting to or supporting the new application but wants to be able to view the roads department comments before the end of the period of consultation.

As always your comments are appreciated.

Comments work right up to the last moment before the decision, as they are required to take them all into account.

It is good practice to phone up a week before the end ..or visit ... and make sure there are none that you have missed.

Remember you have the option to withdraw and resubmit should you feel unsure. You also get a free go for a similar project on the same site. It is also free to apply to change imposed conditions within 12 months of the grant of PP. I THINK ... you need to check thed email as it is damned complicated.

You could for example wait for all the comments then withdraw it to think and I think resubmit without fees.

Ferdinand

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

How does changing the roof pitch make an unaffordable build, affordable?

On it's own it doesn't although our simple flat(ish) roof ended up being complicated and expensive. We've had a complete redesign including knocking 50sqm of the floor space.

32 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Comments work right up to the last moment before the decision, as they are required to take them all into account.

It is good practice to phone up a week before the end ..or visit ... and make sure there are none that you have missed.

Remember you have the option to withdraw and resubmit should you feel unsure. You also get a free go for a similar project on the same site. It is also free to apply to change imposed conditions within 12 months of the grant of PP. I THINK ... you need to check thed email as it is damned complicated.

You could for example wait for all the comments then withdraw it to think and I think resubmit without fees.

Ferdinand

We are having a chat with the planning officer next week so I'm hoping for a steer from him is there are any issues. I did not know about the resubmit, interesting. 

33 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Regarding highways, as you already have a live consent, unless the access is altered for the new proposal they will be unable to object.

We have moved the entrance along by 20 meters as it was a bit close to a small bridge. Our builder was surprised we got permission because it was close to the bridge so theoretically this is better, although it is now opposite the neighbour's entrance.

21 minutes ago, Ralph said:

We are having a chat with the planning officer next week so I'm hoping for a steer from him is there are any issues. I did not know about the resubmit, interesting. 

He will probably give you one of these:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fees-for-planning-applications

and one of these

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/574500/When_are_applications_eligible_for_a__free_go_.pdf

and refer you to this: (you want paras 1..9, especially 9)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/2920/contents/made

*innocent face* 

The one that I did not know about was 'An application is made to vary the terms of a condition or to implement a planning permission without an imposed condition following the grant of planning permission.' from my second link - I still do not have chapter and verse on it, but it looks like a way that removes a condition rather than having to satisfy it (which carries a fee for the Council to agree).

Ferdinand 

Edited by Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Nice of them to make it so simple, clear and straightforward. 

• Haha 1