Removing a tree

Grosey

I need to remove a tree on my plot, it does not have a TPO. The only reference to said tree in the whole of the approved planning permission is on the attached site plan. At the rear of the property is the tree along with "Trees to be retained" - does this sentence actually carry any weight of enforcement or am I free to hack it down?

site boundary.pdf

3 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

If it's listed on plan then tread carefully. Perhaps wait till your works are complete. Lesson for future have planning drawings be as vague as possible!

Agreed! Unfortunately I purchased with detailed planning permission in place. 

This is the tree in front of the Semis on the higher level. That level needs to be reduced by around 1m so we are going to be getting close to undermining it, everything is generally going to be a lot easier if the tree isn't there!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Can you measure it's diameter at 1.5m up from the floor...??

Less than 315mm it's not classed as a tree so can come out anyway. 

I would be removing it and replanting post build with something else.

is there a tree survey as part of the planning submission online ..?

No tree survey, the whole place was mostly just overgrown and but wild, with apple trees that have been slowly seeding themselves around the site.  Probably time for one last scrumpy harvest. 

51 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Can you measure it's diameter at 1.5m up from the floor...??

Less than 315mm it's not classed as a tree so can come out anyway. 

I would be removing it and replanting post build with something else.

is there a tree survey as part of the planning submission online ..?

I'd have it out in this case.

But where is that 315mm rule?

TPOs for example, commonly say 3" or 4" as being a tree, or if it is a Woodland TPO it (ludicrously) protects any pruning of anything (I think).

Ferdinand

BS5837:2012 uses the nominal diameter of 75mm at 1.5m from ground level for the purposes of classification of trees within a tree survey. This was changed from 4" in the previous version due to metrication of the measurement rules ..! The term "substantive diameter" was also removed as you used to measure and take the maximum diameter, not the mean. 

Above this, then a "tree" should be recorded however it is recognised that previous pruning operations can result in large trunk radii with low crowns - such as 2m - and thus you find that most tree surveys only include trees below 90-100mm if they are of particular interest or you are surveying for a specific reason (such as a TPO)

In woodlands or for large tree groups, the diameter increases to 150mm  however there is a lot of discussion on what constitutes a woodland as that becomes very subjective the more trees you remove ..!

The glorious tree regs - clear as mud ..!

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

BS5837:2012 uses the nominal diameter of 75mm at 1.5m from ground level for the purposes of classification of trees within a tree survey. This was changed from 4" in the previous version due to metrication of the measurement rules ..! The term "substantive diameter" was also removed as you used to measure and take the maximum diameter, not the mean. 

Above this, then a "tree" should be recorded however it is recognised that previous pruning operations can result in large trunk radii with low crowns - such as 2m - and thus you find that most tree surveys only include trees below 90-100mm if they are of particular interest or you are surveying for a specific reason (such as a TPO)

In woodlands or for large tree groups, the diameter increases to 150mm  however there is a lot of discussion on what constitutes a woodland as that becomes very subjective the more trees you remove ..!

The glorious tree regs - clear as mud ..!

Thanks.

So where does that 315mm rule you cited some from :-) ?

Or was that a typo?

/pendant

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

55 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I think 315mm is the circumference. 315/Pi = 100

Correct ..! 

Easier than working it out as I've even got an old IKEA tape that has red marks on it for every 25mm diameter increase from 75-250mm..!