Check mate!

Rates in North Wales are currently just under £200/day for skilled labour eg our very good joiner currently charges £180.

Our build cost was £96k for a bungalow with 2 double bedroooms. It was completed 2 years ago and is 71sq.m internal area which works out at £1,350/sq.m. That price doesn't include the costs of getting Planning Permission or Building Regs fees or demolition of a previous abandoned building on the site.

Try £80 for 15 minutes to do shower silicone! 

I did get them back twice though at no extra charge but as we know its still leaking so am trying again myself.

I am still on the learning curve with it but if I master it will be a big earner at those rates LOL

£400/day would be a lot for around here, down in the expensive South! 

As luck would have it, a friend popped around a few minutes ago to borrow something, and mentioned that he's getting an electric car this summer.  He's had a couple of quotes to install a charge point, and frankly the prices being charged for the electrical installation are pretty shocking.  If any electricians want to make some easy money, then I suggest getting in on the charge point installation business.

These things are usually eligible for a government grant, from OLEV, that contributes up to 75% of the cost of supplying and installing a charge point.  I have just checked the price of one of the units he's been quoted for, and I can buy it retail for just under £500 (which is a rip off for what it is).  Installation related materials would be no more than about £50 - £60 for this chaps installation (it's going in his garage, about 3m tops from the CU, not sure if there are any spare slots).  The quote he's had is for £395 for the unit installed, including the OLEV grant funding.  Working backwards, £395 implies that the total cost, before the grant, is £1,580 (!), so subtracting the £495 cost of the unit and a very generous amount for installation-related materials means that the electrician installing the thing is getting about £1000.  The quote estimates that the work will take 4 hours.

I thought I charged a lot for consultancy work, but that pales into insignificance when compared to an electrician getting £250/hour.  All I can assume is that it's the usual problem when there is any government funding for anything, the price is just increased so it's the installer that gets the lion's share of the grant.

They are advising £2650 pm2 for a new residential build. 

The 11% fee has also had the CDM 2015 & contractor procurement fee added on top. 

We are aware of the things that can escalate costs as there is a Scandia property in the in-laws past. I have been looking at some of the German options that wrap the architect fees into the price which they halve if you actually build with them as well. We are staying calm at this point and can't thank you guys enough for the kind words and encouraging tales!

2 minutes ago, EverHopefull said:

They are advising £2650 pm2 for a new residential build. 

Yikes!  I think that is probably a Buildhub record price (might be wrong, there may be one member here that has come close to that).

A reasonable average price for a self-build is around £1,500/m², some have managed to come in under £1,000/m², some may have ended up at around £2,000/m²  Ours ended up at around £1,380, with a fair bit of work from me (my labour saved perhaps £200/m²).

Hanse Haus are my preferred if I had to choose but they all look very "German" not that I dislike that but the reason we thought a architect might take ours out of the pigeon hole. We would be going for an almost turnkey service due to work commitments so accept that we will be paying a premium.

I wish  - at £2650 pm2 I would be a very happy bunny...I don't dare tell you what ours came out at in the end because it is truly shocking!

My erstwhile PM as well as working for MBC part time is also a salesman for Hanse Haus - thats how we met him at the NEC.   West Sussex  - different patch, different sales agent. Enough said.

5 minutes ago, EverHopefull said:

Hanse Haus are my preferred 

Have you looked at some of the UK suppliers such as Scotframe, Potten etc? Not sure how they stack up pricewise, and some might not do completely turnkey but you could still employ a builder to make it turnkey. 

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Yes, his quote is for a Rolec, which is really at the bargain basement end of charge points.

Ah, I meant had he got a supply and fit quote from them. Pod Point and Chargemaster seem to be charging about £200 - £300 once the grant is taken into account. 

2 hours ago, EverHopefull said:

Hanse Haus are my preferred if I had to choose but they all look very "German" 

Hanse Haus will build you anything you want it doesn't have to look German, I think they come in around £1800 sqm external measurements for turnkey and £1100 shell only. Have a chat to Pete Sadler.

48 minutes ago, newhome said:

Ah, I meant had he got a supply and fit quote from them. Pod Point and Chargemaster seem to be charging about £200 - £300 once the grant is taken into account. 

Yes he has, I believe, but I'll check when I seem him tomorrow.  The headline prices for charge points seem to be a fair way off the true price, but even so, £200 after the grant = £800 in reality, for a unit that costs around £400 trade price (probably a fair bit less than this, as they retail at under £500), plus around £50 of materials to install, and which takes 4 hours labour?  That's still just under £90/hour for labour.

@dimpsy they come in at more £ than that from the quote I had  over 2 years ago and their prices are only for the ‘house’ no groundworks or peripherals and you have to do everything to their exact spec of course...... mega bucks for the health & safety package too. When you get to Germany for the interior choosing the basic range is what is included anything more upmarket is extra.  As I recall even on ‘house’ price is for white upvc windows anything over is an upgrade etc.  Nothing wrong with all that and basic range is not bad but you need to watch things dont run away when you decide you want better doors or lightswitches etc. They were more flexible than most package suppliers and anything is possible at a price but for example they said they could not do my roof due to design it would have to be done separately here by another contractor so turnkey is not quite as it seems.

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Yep it’s crazy. In Scotland they will top up the OLEV grant so we got the one here for nothing. 

I have two charge points, one either end of the drive.  Both are home made, and have about £15 worth of components in them.  The most expensive item was the plug on the 32 A tethered one, which cost around £50.  If I can design, build and test a charge point, using parts bought at retail prices, for well under £100, I find it hard to understand why they are being sold for £500 or so, plus the same again, or more, for installation. Someone, somewhere, is making a great deal of money from these things.