pocster

Stud finder

Recommended Posts

Hey all

 

Bought a stud / cable / pipe finder .

Seems about as reliable as me guessing . Another quality eBay purchase .

Anyone got one they would swear by and can send a link ?

 

cheers 

 

 

FB6F4A2A-81AD-4321-AAED-6C70056D88FA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

My Bosch one is fine: the pouch it comes in is extremely valuable - and maybe to you if your tool-bags are as much of a mess as mine.

Thanks !

Bit more than my eBay £8 purchase - but worth it 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lidl Parkside one all day long. I couldn't find either of mine recently when I put the daughters TV bracket up so asked the BiL.  Gave me his Aldi one saying he couldn't get on with it.

 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-stud-detector/p/011334263945200

 

Absolute doddle to use. Tried getting one but couldn't other than online so got the Lidl Parkside one below. Incidentally this looks and acts pretty much identical. Just for you I've arisen from my deathbed:

 

Clamped a stud to a bit of mrpb:

 

20190218_113259.thumb.jpg.c73dc4d47dfa54614cdcceacb030bb73.jpg

 

I've only tried it on the stud setting and NOT read the instructions:

 

20190218_113312.thumb.jpg.5178e955af54522f00bbb8a6933d6452.jpg

 

As you reach the side of the stud the arrows peak, make a mark:

 

20190218_113414.thumb.jpg.ef1dc40c6acb638641c6b6aff6b2eace.jpg

 

The arrow tails off as you reach the other side of the stud. Come back from the other direction to make sure and make a second mark.

 

Centreline of the joist is in the middle of the two marks. I'll do a little video:

 

20190218_113511.thumb.jpg.c383e1b4580772c9f3636081def98878.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Lidl Parkside one all day long. I couldn't find either of mine recently when I put the daughters TV bracket up so asked the BiL.  Gave me his Aldi one saying he couldn't get on with it.

 

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-stud-detector/p/011334263945200

 

Absolute doddle to use. Tried getting one but couldn't other than online so got the Lidl Parkside one below. Incidentally this looks and acts pretty much identical. Just for you I've arisen from my deathbed:

 

Clamped a stud to a bit of mrpb:

 

20190218_113259.thumb.jpg.c73dc4d47dfa54614cdcceacb030bb73.jpg

 

I've only tried it on the stud setting and NOT read the instructions:

 

20190218_113312.thumb.jpg.5178e955af54522f00bbb8a6933d6452.jpg

 

As you reach the side of the stud the arrows peak, make a mark:

 

20190218_113414.thumb.jpg.ef1dc40c6acb638641c6b6aff6b2eace.jpg

 

The arrow tails off as you reach the other side of the stud. Come back from the other direction to make sure and make a second mark.

 

Centreline of the joist is in the middle of the two marks. I'll do a little video:

 

20190218_113511.thumb.jpg.c383e1b4580772c9f3636081def98878.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Glad you’ve arisen from your coffin .

My eBay one does ‘sometimes’ indicate stud . But go past it and then go back and it’s reads nothing . Almost randomly it will say ‘centre’ - it gets really excited then ! . Problem is we’re no where near the centre . Perhaps it means centre of the earth , or centre of a stud somewhere else on the planet . Bleeding shite ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Glad you’ve arisen from your coffin .

My eBay one does ‘sometimes’ indicate stud . But go past it and then go back and it’s reads nothing . Almost randomly it will say ‘centre’ - it gets really excited then ! . Problem is we’re no where near the centre . Perhaps it means centre of the earth , or centre of a stud somewhere else on the planet . Bleeding shite ! 

That Aldi link you gave looks VERY similar to my eBay crap . Probably get the Bosch one .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My misses thought I was up to no good when I told her I was looking for a “stud finder” ... 😎

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taclife dms05 seems to get better ratings than the Bosch .

In the final photo it has a bloke holding it on the ceiling and it says “ceiling detector “ ; f’ing clever that !

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered Bosch . Some amazon reviews suspect as they mention the batteries but presumably are talking about a completely different scanner . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Am I missing something here; seems a bit random....

 

Yeah, should have gone to Lidl! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

 

Yeah, should have gone to Lidl! 😂

Doesn’t work does it ?

£8 didn’t , £70 doesn’t .

FFS ! . I get the impression on the reviews that some people have better luck with these than others .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Doesn’t work does it ?

£8 didn’t , £70 doesn’t .

FFS ! . I get the impression on the reviews that some people have better luck with these than others .

 

Yes mine DOES work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Onoff said:

 

Yes mine DOES work.

Lies !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man on the f’ing moon . Quantum computing theoretically feasible . Device that finds wood no chance .

I blame brexit 

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right !

 

ordered the franklin 710 .

 

Wait for my extensive review !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is the fact that there's no PB maybe confusing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pocster said:

Right !

 

ordered the franklin 710 .

 

Wait for my extensive review !

 

More money than sens...ors you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

is the fact that there's no PB maybe confusing it?

Nah . I tried some plasterboard and render board in front 1 stud - was just as ropey 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

 

More money than sens...ors you! 

Others are all eBay so refunds in progress .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Determined to find one that works . Given myself until March 29th , after that I won’t care .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the “Tesco’s Finest” wine I have here tastes ropey . Bloody Brexit strikes again ( there’s only so much I can say about stud finders so I’m trying to move with the times ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Even the “Tesco’s Finest” wine I have here tastes ropey . Bloody Brexit strikes again ( there’s only so much I can say about stud finders so I’m trying to move with the times ) 

 

Again, look no further than Lidls Cepa Lebrel Rioja Reserva! Also highly recommend the 14.5% Pinotage.

 

Come to think of it I must be about 2 weeks dry. Haven't had caffeine for a week either. The headaches have pretty much subsided. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now