Sheet sizes

tonyshouse

These are remarkable!

8x4 sheets come in a variety of sizes and thicknesses 

eg 1200 X 2438 of 12.5mm plasterboard, can be 1800, 2400, 2500,2700, 2900, 3000 even 3600

never 1220 wide

Whereas plywood comes 1220 wide and 2440 long 

strangely nothing comes in centimetre sizes, only meters or millimetres which I am happy about. It is about time inches went out the window.

Someone raised an interesting conundrum recently.

If you are lining a wall with OSB for racking strength of a timber frame, you are supposed to leave a 3mm gap. So shouldn't sheets of OSB be 1197mm wide not 1200. Otherwise at the end of a long run your joints are falling off the 600mm spaced studs.

I've often wondered why sheets are made 1220 when the standard centre is 600 (or 400).  It's as if the manufacturers want you to buy more than you need...although more than likely Ed's post contains the real answer as to why the manufacture the size they do.

:( it didn't, but they're working imperial. at 16" or 2' centres 

PITA really as I think its only the Americans that still build in imperial

I built my entire barn at 16" centres because of this. I decided plasterboard was quicker to cut than OSB and the decision was made. all because the local BM stocks 8x4 sheets of OSB! 

Guest Alphonsox
24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you are lining a wall with OSB for racking strength of a timber frame, you are supposed to leave a 3mm gap.

Didn't know this - Is this some form of expansion gap ?

The 3mm gap is actually printed on the boards. I found, though, that the OSB was slightly undersized and it all worked out just fine. So don't use the OSB as a template to build the wall- use a tape measure!