Planning a project

buildboy

Hi folks, new to the site and new to self build. Having bought a bungalow that was built for the previous owner and not been improved since the 60s we have had an architect draw up plans which have now been approved for a conversion to chalet style. This requires a replacement roof to create 3 upstairs rooms, two of which will be with bathrooms and one as a space/storage space. Plus a 2nd garage and extensive internal alterations. So, we started some preliminary discussions with builders and it seems their prices are way outside our original budget and we don't have a money tree so need to find another way to skin the cat! I'm pretty handy and did study some build processes many years ago. I'm also not in a hurry and I have a guy who works for me and has hard landscaping skills, blocks, render, concrete etc. A mate of mine has a window business, one an electrical installation firm and surely plumbing isnt that tough. What else is Youtube for? So here I am, to pick your brains, share the process and hope you guys will keep me sane and offer some guidance. 

So I'm attempting to upload the drawings for comment on whether you feel this is achievable for me and also to get your comments on the possibility of having the main roof structure manufactured off-site for modular install. Something is telling me thats the way to go.

Nice to meet you guys, be gentle, I'm new to this

38103 02 Existing Site Plan.pdf

38103 03 Existing GF Plan.pdf

38103 04 Existing Roof Plan.pdf

38103 05 Existing Elevations (1).pdf

38103 08 Proposed GF Plan.pdf

38103 09 Proposed FF Plan.pdf

38103 10 Proposed Roof Plan.pdf

38103 11 Proposed Elevations (1).pdf

38103 12 Proposed Elevations (1).pdf

I think your challenge is that it takes more builder expertise to morph a structure than build from scratch.

Do you expect to live elsewhere during the conversion, if so for how long? 

Do you hope to retain finished plaster surfaces as the building is transformed or will you gut the existing structure back to masonry that can be exposed to the elements for a few months.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Hi, welcome to the forum. Some friends of ours lifted the roof on their bungalow and they lived in it while the work was being done. I would say that having the whole building sheeted so work can continue whatever the weather is a very good idea.

Welcome!

I seem to remember a Building the Dream episode that echoes yours. I cant remember which series and episode, but the content is about a young couple who hated their bungalow.

Its the one where they end up with a metal cow in their lawn, there's a large black trellis on the front and back..... 

Take @PeterStarck's hint about a tarpaulin roof seriously. When we priced that option it would have cost us £5000 for 146 m square.

Good luck

Ian

Thanks folks. I was thinking we would start with the extra garage as a warm up then the ground floor extension/ remove conservatory. Any reason I can't build on the existing conservatory base? Whilst this is going on I can hopefully look for a modular solution for the roof (any suggestions?). We were thinking of a static in the garden for the main roof off and interior changes. The modular appeals as I think it would provide a less intrusive solutions. Where do I get more info on here? 

Can epsilonGreedy help me understand the reason for the plaster question such that I might be able to answer.

Thanks

Using a periphery building as a warm up - probably at 30-50% more cost than anticipated - is a sure fire way to find out the hard way that you’ve got less budget than you really need, and spending it on something that you don’t really need. 

Look at the big stuff first - roof coming off is a game changer - running out of money half way through that is not a good place to be. Garage doesn’t get finished for 18 months..? What’s the issue ....

Think priorities and work top down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Welcome!

I seem to remember a Building the Dream episode that echoes yours. I cant remember which series and episode, but the content is about a young couple who hated their bungalow.

Its the one where they end up with a metal cow in their lawn, there's a large black trellis on the front and back..... 

Take @PeterStarck's hint about a tarpaulin roof seriously. When we priced that option it would have cost us £5000 for 146 m square.

Good luck

Ian

Series 7 Ep 2 I  think. Theres a lot to be said for a blitz from the outside and add stairs afterward, though expensive.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/building-the-dream/on-demand/60958-015

I seem to recall another one, but cannot remember,.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

10 hours ago, buildboy said:

Any reason I can't build on the existing conservatory base?

That depends entirely what the base is and what you want to build on it. If your garage is a kit it may be OK. Maybe.

You will need either to take a gut level flier based on what you can fund out or get a pro-opinion.

Typically a conservatory slab may be reinforced 100mm or just 100mm or so (my last was reinforced 125mm - but it was a full height wall panel job off ebay just sitting on the slab with bolts not dwarf walls with foundations), depending, and a garage would want more like reinforced 150mm.

Also, @buildboy, slabs are relatively cheap to put in compared to the cost of a garage, and expensive to remedy once you have built something on it ! WHich might argue to put a new one in.

FOr the storage need, one option we have not discussed is kit garages as an item which can be sold on later, though perhaps those flatpack storage containers are more of an idea for that.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks Ferdinand. The current conservatory has a dwarf wall. I will investigate the foundation. If you have time/inclination to look at the plans you'll see that what is currently the conservatory is due to become the sitting room, not garage. 

1 hour ago, buildboy said:

Thanks Ferdinand. The current conservatory has a dwarf wall. I will investigate the foundation. If you have time/inclination to look at the plans you'll see that what is currently the conservatory is due to become the sitting room, not garage. 

If it for a room in the new house, then imo your extras for working around it, risk of differential movement, managing the joints etc, will be more than the money you will save.

IMO do not bother unless you can see a very very good reason.

F

I'm a little confused. In my mind, a very good reason to do it is that it would remove the need to take down a wall that is perfectly good in order to rebuild a wall in the same materials and in the same location. We would remove the glazing above the low wall and the short return to the existing patio doors. Then extend the foundation continue the existing wall and build above to incorporate the new windows as per plan. Why take it down to rebuild it again? I'm probably being nieve!

On 29/01/2019 at 22:00, buildboy said:

Can epsilonGreedy help me understand the reason for the plaster question such that I might be able to answer.

I was trying to gauge how you and your original quoting builders viewed the project. If you are expecting to retain plasterboard ceilings and other room finishes during the building transformation then this implies a surgical operation with tight weather windows and will require an experienced builder to mastermind. I am reminded of a family member who got succored into a similar project with the promised she could remain in the house during the transformation but 2 months in even the builder admitted defeat and she had to move out.

My hunch is that a roof-off/extend/new-roof building upgrade is more challenging than a clean sheet new build from a beginner diy perspective.

Edited by epsilonGreedy