Wooden windows value for money

gwynge

Hi all, new to this forum so hope you might go easy on me.. 

Live in an unfortunately listed building (an annex on a building which itself shouldn't be listed) and have to replace a load of single-glazed windows and two sets of French doors. All in wood. Due to the listing we have to have the windows (but not doors) replaced with the slimline heritage units. 

I've had a few quotes from different local joinery companies and the prices are, frankly, eye-watering or even more eye-watering. To the point where it almost feels like there's a wooden-window cartel operating!

I can't find any generic supplier of quality wooden windows (using Accoya or engineered softwood) on the internet. 

Does anyone have any insight into supply and pricing of wooden windows? To even start negotiating I feel that I need to have an understanding of what is a reasonable price. If I think about wood, paint, double glazing unit, simple ironmongery and labour I really can't make the numbers stack up. I'd also expect there would be a bulk pricing difference between one unit and 11 units.. 

Thanks in advance for any intel!

I think that the labour is what makes them pricey, afaik  the big manufacturers have (expensive) machines which reduce this element. You could try complete joinery on 01288 331010. They are near Bude & make windows in accoya, painted in long-lasting paint. No idea on their relative price!

WElcome.

It might be worth trying the Historic Houses association to see if they know someone in your area who deals with such properties 

It would be useful to have some indication of type of windows, and sizes, and perhaps an indication of your location.

The only time recently I looked at these was in our previous property where there were a large number of 3 x 4 pane Georgian sash windows. WE sold it first, butI remember that they now - back a few years ago - seemed to be more of a regular items where 3 decades ago it was bespoke and expensive. Still pricey but a lot less than before.

Ferdinand

What area are you in might help us make recommendations. Unfortunately timber option is expensive. Those slim line units are expensive too. I renovated 4 Windows with them in summer. Think customer could of had pvc supply and fit just for what those units cost

Thanks guys.. In East Sussex. Basically we have 9 windows - mostly standard sizes

3 off 2300 x 1200 (4 casements, 2 opening)

3 off 1230 x 1060 (2 casements, both opening)

1 off 1800 x 1060 (3 casements, 2 opening)

1 off 910 x 300 (single fixed)

1 off 600 x 730 (single fixed)

2 sets of French doors with side panels: 2690 x 2000

And the price we keep getting quoted is about £25k fitted.

There's nothing special about the house, it's a 90s annex joined on to an Oast (which is why it was listed). The current windows are horrible 90s house cheap style so we're replacing with a more elegant design with flush casements and an equal number of casements rather than large panes.

There is a local guy-on-his-own who will probably come in a bit cheaper - but I think that's purely because he's not registered for VAT. Although I liked him he didn't strike me as someone who was able to get my requirements out of me well enough such that he would deliver something appropriate.

So £25k+. Is it just me or does that seem an outrageous amount of money for wood and glass? I appreciate there is work involved in making there... but it's mostly standard patterns being cut on machinery... not *that* much work!

I got a quote from one place - just asked how much a window would be (one of the bigger ones) to get an idea of pricing and they said about £3500 fitted. I asked about unfitted and they said £2500 - what? A grand to fit a window? It's just mind-boggling!

I found a couple of threads that mention wooden windows:

This one (where interestingly a price of 25k is mentioned!) plus a cheaper quote of 7k. Maybe @Sjk can tell you who that supplier was. 

Wooden windows are also mentioned here:

Another thread here:

A bit of a mention here (think @joe90 has installed wooden windows)

Perhaps have a talk to the Conservation Officer. Where we are, they are often keen to see something that blends with the older buildings but is not a pastiche, so aluminium / ali clad in black is often acceptable, as well as being lower maintenance than timber.