Oil Fired Boiler

Triassic

I’m staying with a friend this weekend and his 20 year old oil fired boiler has given up the ghost.  He lives in a rural location so no mains gas.

Im totally out of touch with oil fired boilers, so can someone suggest the current best on class oil boiler replacement? 

Edited by Triassic

If you had asked me 10 years ago I would have said Grant, but so many I have been involved with recently have had issues.

What is wrong with the old one?  unless the water jacket has rusted through, there is usually not much a new burner or burner overhaul won't fix.

My baffles were burnt through. Replaced with plates from my fabricator. Simple rectangular plates cut to size.

SAM_0402

Lid was knackered where the insuation had disintegrated:

SAM_0250

Got new insulation:

SAM_0406

Made a new lid:

SAM_0413

SAM_0417

New gasket for the burner:

SAM_0394

Stuck a new jet in...

Thermostat replaced a while back.

Fire valve was playing up but seems to have settled down.

My preference wouldn't have a Riello burner...

I'm mightily impressed with our Turkington/ Turco condenser but i don't think you's go far wrong with any of the usual suspects- Grant/Warmflow/ Firebird etc. We've got all these close to home so tend not to see so much WB or HRM this side of the wee pond.

/except for the special models that WB made for NI "refurb" installs, long after condensers were mandatory...