Remote switching

A Mainslink transmitter getting it's live from the existing wall switch would do that end:

https://cpc.farnell.com/rf-solutions/mainslink/remote-mains-control-system/dp/RF00336?

Then feed the matching receiver with a permanent live from the 13A socket adjacent to the light you want to come on.

Throw the existing switch, existing 2A circuit lights come on, Mainslink TX gets 230V at the same time.

Receiver picks up and switches lamp on.

Page 2:

2176070.pdf

Deep pockets? :)

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

Have a good look here. Might be a cheaper, single channel RF remote combo that they do as a kit/module or ready built:

https://www.esr.co.uk/home.htm

Don't miss the Velleman kit section as it's separate.

Had quite a few bits of them myself and I think @Nickfromwales used them too.

Edited by Onoff

Thanks, by chance I've just stumbled on this on the TLC website: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LMEST1.html

Fits inside a back box and can remotely switch things, although TLC don't seem to stock the plug in receivers.  The only slight snag is how much room there may be inside the back box, as it's wired loop in switch so there are a handful of wagos in there.  Might be able to swap the wagos for crimps to save a bit of room, though.

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The plug in receiver adapter is unfortunately discontinued. I wonder if the plug in bleeper (bleeps for 5 seconds?) could be adapted to latch a relay for the light. 

Damn, just when I thought I might have found an off-the-shelf solution...

Could you...replace the two gang switch with MK style gang switches...make 1 of them a Quinetic switch and the other "standard".

Existing uplighters tradtionally switched.

Break into the feed for the existing 2A  sockets and fit a Quinetic receiver.

Fit a plug in Quinetic adapter for the salt crystal light in the existing 13A socket.

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Could you...replace the two gang switch with MK style gang switches...make 1 of them a Quinetic switch and the other "standard".

Existing uplighters tradtionally switched.

Break into the feed for the existing 2A  sockets and fit a Quinetic receiver.

Fit a plug in Quinetic adapter for the salt crystal light in the existing 13A socket.

That was my suggestion but nowhere for the receiver to go .... would need to go in the wall next to the switch for the lights as you can’t get a 3 gang single box grid so there would need to be a receiver in the wall (or behind each uplighter)

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm going to do some further digging around into the EasySwitch unit.  It may be that it uses a protocol that's also used by other systems, with a bit of luck.  It looks like the best option in that it just fits in the back box and works from the existing switch, I just need to get a suitable receiver.  If push comes to shove I could splash out on the EasySwitch single channel receiver and just put it in line with the cable to the light.

As @Nickfromwales mentioned, you *should* be able to do this with Zwave using 'direct association'.

I do something similar to this in a few rooms where I have a Fibrao dimmer unit switch on some table lamps as well.

I'm not sure if you would be able to set this up without a controller (even temporarily just to do the initial config)....the manuals have all been updated and I can't find the procedure for how I did this a few years back.. sorry!

Edit - bit more info here under 'Associations' - https://www.vesternet.com/resources/technology-indepth/groups-scenes-associations/ 

Edited by MrMagic
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Dave, I was just at the stage of making a custom unit, but have now just ordered one of these, as at that price it's much easier to just butcher the remote as you suggest.  Stick it in a small plastic enclosure with a bit of circuitry to pulse a couple of relays on the on and off buttons, plus a lead to the plug and the jobs done.

On 25/11/2018 at 22:05, MrMagic said:

As @Nickfromwales mentioned, you *should* be able to do this with Zwave using 'direct association'.

I do something similar to this in a few rooms where I have a Fibrao dimmer unit switch on some table lamps as well.

I'm not sure if you would be able to set this up without a controller (even temporarily just to do the initial config)....the manuals have all been updated and I can't find the procedure for how I did this a few years back.. sorry!

Edit - bit more info here under 'Associations' - https://www.vesternet.com/resources/technology-indepth/groups-scenes-associations/ 

Should be do able with z wave .

Also no controller should be needed if using association. Z wave is pretty stable and reliable .