Insulation around SVP

worldwidewebs

Sound insulation needs low density insulation rather than solid insulation that transmits sound. Pack it around the pipe but not too much as otherwise you will transfer the pipe sounds to the wall ..!

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sound insulation needs low density insulation rather than solid insulation that transmits sound. Pack it around the pipe but not too much as otherwise you will transfer the pipe sounds to the wall ..!

Somewhat surprised, I thought the higher the density of the insulation the more effective the soundproofing. Is this wrong?

If you had more space to play with, what would you use as insulation?

My architect is like bloody molasses and I want to get the MBC drawings signed off asap so I'm doing his job for him and trying to determine whether I would be better having a wider stud wall or whether the standard depth is ok

13 minutes ago, worldwidewebs said:

Yes, I could use acoustic plasterboard. Is this better than putting something around the pipe?

I don't know! I was thinking both.

But theres 2 parts to the wall and you were only think about the gap.   Double layers and sound bloc get used on ceilings so it must have some use.

what about sound deadening materials such as used in cars? Applied to the pipe?

Edited by daiking

Sound deadening mat is the way forward. I tried completely surrounding a soil pipe with expanding foam in a hotel, but it was next to useless. 

Acoustic wool ( dense rock wool ) in conjunction with something like recycled rubber floor matting ( sound deadening layers for floors ) will reap rewards. The rubber to deal with the lower frequency, the wool for the higher, and then 2 layers of sound control ( acoustic ( blue )) plasterboard will be a good solution IMO. That'll leave the stud work at the same depth, but allow for the two layers of PB, both sides if it's a dividing wall. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, warby said:

Somewhat surprised, I thought the higher the density of the insulation the more effective the soundproofing. Is this wrong?

The key is separation - dense insulation is fine but if you pack it between the pipe and the wall then the wall panel acts like a big speaker panel. Probably didn't make that bit clear ..!

I would have thought your SVP was 110mm too - are you going to get it into the wall at all ..?? Boxing in may be your only option which means you can pick a decent insulation and sound control strategy.  

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I would have thought your SVP was 110mm too - are you going to get it into the wall at all ..?? Boxing in may be your only option which means you can pick a decent insulation and sound control strategy.  

I just asked the designer at MBC how big the pipe was and whether there was space for both it and the sound insulation and that was the information he gave me. He could well be wrong and you be right! I think in terms of space, I need to make the wall thicker. Then it's a case of which method is most cost effective but I think the acoustic plaster board might as well be the first decision. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duncgee said:

Thinking outside the box, ha ha.  Why not put the SVP outside the house?

I may have that exact issue - having to put it outside as inside would require hacking through a reinforced slab and a wall ..... 

Its something we are thinking of too for our renovation - moving a bathroom upstairs but where does the soil pipe go?  Down through the floor into the corner of the lounge and then outside or take it outside and run it down the front wall but that would not look nice.  If we can minimise the sound using the advice here, maybe down throughg the lounge would be okay. 

Let me know how you get on, worldwideweb.

Mine comes down through the downstairs WC so noise is not really a concern. And no worse than any other peculiar sounds you get in the house.

I was more concerned with thermal insulation as the stack is open to (cold) air. 

I have a friend who completed an extension about 12 months ago. They have about 3 feet of a horizontal soil pipe in their living room, connecting the existing upstairs loo to the new soil pipe. They keep meaning to box it in but don't notice it anymore - I've suggested that they replace it with a clear plastic section as a conversation piece...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

Its something we are thinking of too for our renovation - moving a bathroom upstairs but where does the soil pipe go?  Down through the floor into the corner of the lounge and then outside or take it outside and run it down the front wall but that would not look nice.  If we can minimise the sound using the advice here, maybe down throughg the lounge would be okay. 

Let me know how you get on, worldwideweb.

I wouldn't sacrifice any internal space, or inconvenience with noise / sound tbh. Putting the stack outside and making it as neat and as inconspicuous as possible would be my recommendation. Once it's been there for a week, you'll not even notice it. 

Having the stack run through the living room isn't something I'd want. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

I have a friend who completed an extension about 12 months ago. They have about 3 feet of a horizontal soil pipe in their living room, connecting the existing upstairs loo to the new soil pipe. They keep meaning to box it in but don't notice it anymore - I've suggested that they replace it with a clear plastic section as a conversation piece...

:D