Scratching my head about Solar PV, ASHP, FIT and RHI

Ashandiamo

Just looking for some advice as I’m new to this forum and the whole building game. After a long battle we have finally commenced construction on our new build here in Scotland. Due to several factors we have a main contractor undertaking the build.

Going down the ASHP road and elected to put solar PV panels on our shed which is adjacent to the house.

Our contractor has indicated a scheduled completion date for beginning of May 2019 and I’ve no reason to doubt that.

Where I’m confused slightly is regarding the FIT and RHI payments. I’ve recently read that some payments are ending in April 2019. Am I right in saying that the RHI for the ASHP is carrying on so we’re ok with that? Is it just the FIT for the solar PV that’s ending?

If it’s the FIT for the solar PV that’s ending I’m wondering if I could get the system on the shed commissioned before the house is complete? The electricity supply and meter for the house is located in the shed and will be remaining there.

Hopefully I’ve provided enough information, any advice and guidance will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy

The FIT ends to new entrants from April but if you can get in before that you will be good for the duration. The issue is needing an EPC to claim it which is what stopped me and has caused me much bitterness because nobody will lodge an EPC on an incomplete house.

You can still install solar PV without the FIT. If you just buy the kit you can probably get a 4KW system for about £2K way cheaper than paying for an MCS installer to fit it. Just mount the panels yourself and get your electrician to fit it.  You will benefit from the self usage of what you generate even without ant FIT payments, so make sure you e.g have a hot water tank to divert excess generation to.

Check also how much you are paying an MCS installer to fit your ASHP. and what your RHI payments will be. You might find it is cheaper to just buy a cheap ASHP and install yourself and it still works out cheaper.

P.S where in Scotland are you building?

4 minutes ago, CC45 said:

.  If we put solar PV then we won't bother with FIT.

Same here, there’s no way we’ll be finished by April, so we’ll fit the PV ourselves and just use the excess power ourselves.

We will also fit the ASHP ourselves to save money.

10 hours ago, CC45 said:

as per Dave - we've been told we need to complete the house before FIT becomes an option.  

@Ashandiamo, this is true, but do check what "complete" means in this context. You don't, for example, need a completion certificate. You just need your as-built EPC. I don't know whether it's feasible to get your builder focused on getting everything needed for the EPC - for example, I don't know whether you need a kitchen and bathroom for the EPC. Worth checking...

Many thanks for all your replies and advice. Will discuss the EPC aspect with the builder and see if there’s any way we can get in before the deadline. I did wonder if there was any way that I could have the system installed on the shed and get it commissioned as a stand-alone item separate from the house, the fact that the power comes into the shed but guess, because it was all part of the same planning application, that this may not be an option.

Prodave, for your info we are building in Angus a few miles north of Dundee, some distance away from you by the look of it.

Thanks again.

You can connect it and have it working and giving you free electricity any time, it's just the FIT application that you can't submit until you have the lodged as built EPC.  If you are going to do that I suggest your electrician does not connect the generation meter until you are ready to submit the FIT application.

And just a word of caution re the RHI for ASHP. You apply after it’s fitted. If the payments change or the scheme is withdrawn or changes between having it fitted and applying it can affect you. You also have to apply within 12 months of the equipment being commissioned so you need to time things to be installed pretty close to your completion really. Earlier this year the scheme changed to require metering for performance for all ASHPs. If something like that happened to you between installing it and waiting to get the house complete enough to get the EPC you would have faff around addressing the additional requirements.