Timber Frame Erection Costs

Triassic

Would depend on:

1. floor area,
  2. number of floors,
  3. panel type -open or closed,
  4. does extra insulation need to be added.
  5. Is this just for the structural elements?
  6. How are the first and second floors constructed - cassettes, loose joists.
  7. Does that include crane/forklift hire?
  8. How is the roof constructed - cassettes or individual trusses
  9. also the amount of steel beams may impact cost

I agree with all of the above - our erection costs were slightly increased after I established it didn't initially include the fascias and soffits. So once that was included, together with crane hire and the fixing of sarking boards we paid in the region of £46 per square metre.

1 hour ago, Redoctober said:

and the fixing of sarking boards

That was apparently 'not included' in the quote that we received (we found out after the frame was up) so had to pay extra. The TF erectors said that they considered that to be a roofing task (they weren't doing the roof). That surprised us TBH as the sarking boards arrived as part of the kit, but we had to pay it to get the house watertight as the roofers weren't coming for another couple of weeks or so. 

Thanks for all the replies, as I said earlier the quote isn’t broken down yet, I have a site meeting next week with the TF company, I now have a list of questions to ask and some ball park figures against to judge their price. 

Next question, how much for scaffolding and what Questions to ask of them?

11 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Ensure that they break the figures down into erection, dismantling and hire. The first 2 can be zero rated, the hire charge cannot. 

Ensure that you know exactly how much it will cost if you need the scaffolding to be there longer than you initially envisage. 

Understand what their service includes, eg does it include them coming to fix things that the builders mess about with? Probably not so you will need to understand how to handle those situations. 

Ensure that they put a 'ticket' on the scaffolding that should evidence the insurance cover and formally mark it as 'on hire' rather than in a stage of erection when it should not be used. I say this because my scaffolders were crooks for want of a word and didn't put the insurance cover in place, then when there was an accident tried to say that it wasn't formally on hire at that point despite it having been up and used for weeks before! We didn't know it should have had a 'ticket'.  

Don't let them erect it too close to the house! Sounds obvious but there are a few of us on here who have been caught out by that. 

Expect them to be challenging (that might be unfair but it was my experience). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, newhome said:

That was apparently 'not included' in the quote that we received (we found out after the frame was up) so had to pay extra. The TF erectors said that they considered that to be a roofing task (they weren't doing the roof). That surprised us TBH as the sarking boards arrived as part of the kit, but we had to pay it to get the house watertight as the roofers weren't coming for another couple of weeks or so. 

Exactly, it was these types of hidden costs that nearly caught us out. It was only because we had a meeting with the TF supplier, a few weeks beforehand, that these aspects were fully understood as up until then, I mistakenly thought the stuff they were supplying was being fitted...............but no !

Just now, Redoctober said:

Exactly, it was these types of hidden costs that nearly caught us out. It was only because we had a meeting with the TF supplier, a few weeks beforehand, that these aspects were fully understood as up until then, I mistakenly thought the stuff they were supplying was being fitted...............but no !

Wow, you would have thought that the TF company would be fitting their own components at the very least. I'm willing to accept that mine fell down the cracks as we used an unconnected builder and had made too many assumptions. Validating assumptions is one of the key points I try to get across simply because we assumed too much and were caught out more than a few times. 

46 minutes ago, Triassic said:

+1 with what has been said already - on top of that, second time round, I would make sure there is sufficient "good ground" from the footprint of the house to set the scaffolding. It was only when the frame went up that we realised the scaffolding was put too close and the reason given was that there was insufficient ground cleared for them to do so. Also, I would supply them with plans and measurements of the house, as another issue we had was that they put the top lift above the roof line,  causing difficulties !!

I think that one of the reasons why the scaffolding is put up too close may be that many scaffolders are used to erecting it against an existing structure (for maintenance) rather than trying to envisage where a structure yet to be built will come. So they work off the slab, and don't factor in enough space for the TF and then the blocks or whatever skin is being built. Clearly you can't have it too far out either though so accurate measurements are important. I think it happened to mine as the owner left some inexperienced guys to erect it and then went off out for the day. We were away but could see it going up on the security camera, then taken down, and then put back up again. That was very surreal!