screed levels

I am having the floor screeded today with the UFH pipes.

I have been quoted for 2.3 cubic meters but the guys say that 2 would give the quoted level.  

They have suggested putting it all down which will bring the floor level up about 10 to 15 ml.  

Is there any reason why this is not a good idea?

7 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I have been quoted for 2.3 cubic meters but the guys say that 2 would give the quoted level.  

They have suggested putting it all down which will bring the floor level up about 10 to 15 ml.  

10 to 15mm doesn't sound like a lot but it can play havoc with certain things which follow later if you are not careful and think it through. EG - what effect will it have on your Part M accessible front door threshold detail.

Is there any reason why they can't quote for the 2 cubic metres you actually need?

Edited by Ian

27 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I’m guessing it is liquid concrete 

(cube) They should set there datums off the internal damp course to finish inline or just below

Id ask the to follow your drawing

25 minutes ago, Ian said:

10 to 15mm doesn't sound like a lot but it can play havoc with certain things which follow later if you are not careful and think it through. EG - what effect will it have on your Part M accessible front door threshold detail.

Is there any reason why they can't quote for the 2 cubic metres you actually need?

No issues there - it is the lower ground floor and not the main entrance so no need for level access, although I would like it as level as possible which is why I'm fine with the extra down there as there is approx 100mm of door frame.

It's already ordered and on its way

24 minutes ago, Ian said:

@Hecateh

what type of screed are you planning to use and what is the design thickness?

liquid screed

23 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I would just keep it at the original level. You can use the excess to form a base for a step or ramp on a doorway outside.

There is somewhere it can be used to level up outside which is where I was thinking if they needed to dump any after the pour

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

As long as there is 5mm below the threshold at the patio doors then it’s fine. 

100 mm at least

1 minute ago, nod said:

I’m guessing it is liquid concrete 

(cube) They should set there datums off the internal damp course to finish inline or just below

Id ask the to follow your drawing

No drawing and the room is tanked to about 1100 as the house is on a steep slope and the lower ground, where this is going is set into the slope.  

I mean 5mm once the screed is poured. They may need to watch the height of the short stack in the loo - it wasn’t much more than 65mm tall from memory.

Do not let them cover it in screed ..!! 

12 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

liquid screed

Not sure what you mean by liquid screed.

Usually when people talk about liquid screed they mean a calcium sulphate (anhydrite) screed which is pumped into place and is self levelling. This type of screed can't be used outside where it is exposed to the weather as it has gypsum in it which swells in contact with water

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I mean 5mm once the screed is poured. They may need to watch the height of the short stack in the loo - it wasn’t much more than 65mm tall from memory.

Do not let them cover it in screed ..!! 

It's 65mm ish to the brick level at the door, there is then 100mm at least of frame before the actual door - 

They have put a collar round the stack so no problem there I don't think

27 minutes ago, Ian said:

Not sure what you mean by liquid screed.

Usually when people talk about liquid screed they mean a calcium sulphate (anhydrite) screed which is pumped into place and is self levelling. This type of screed can't be used outside where it is exposed to the weather as it has gypsum in it which swells in contact with water

I don't know exactly what it is but it is a self levelling, quick drying so probably calcium sulphate I guess.  I am going to keep it all indoors and raise the floor level slightly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

@Hecateh

If you absolutely definitely have the clearance at the door / thresholds etc then 100% chuck all the screed down. 

Cracking job they're doing. Ask them to sleeve the pipes where they exit the screed and head up the wall.

Sorry - they don't have any sleeving on the van

1 minute ago, Hecateh said:

Sorry - they don't have any sleeving on the van

Ask them to shutter around them with sand then. You need to be able to manipulate the pipes after install ideally. 

They'll probably register on BH now and tell me to FO :D  

12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ask them to shutter around them with sand then. You need to be able to manipulate the pipes after install ideally. 

They'll probably register on BH now and tell me to FO :D  

They've put some of the blue edging foam round and taped it.  :D   The pipes are extended above the floor level above so there is plenty of flexibility.  They say they haven't sleeved pipes for years :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

Did they lay the pipes too? Looks pretty neat! Good to see things moving on for you. 

Thanks @newhome  each little step is one less I still have to take.  Just need to pin the plumber down to a date now!! :ph34r:  And then the plasterer!

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@Hecateh if the screed isn’t down yet, can you take more photos of areas such as the island and the kitchen ..? Always useful for reference. 

All done and dusted - they've just left.  Taken plenty of photos though

DSCF1323.thumb.JPG.898fbb26138c5b6f17e5c472d604b365.JPG

• Like 1

701029193_wiringtoplinth.thumb.jpg.08978ee44bc62a0e2f3181cf8ecff181.jpg

Wiring in place for plinth 

2018-07-31_10_24_22.thumb.jpg.4b2f28c594196c4735110e6e4058fbe2.jpg

4mm foil insulation and pipe grippers placed

2018-07-31_10_54_46.thumb.jpg.5359a845ac54f08b7cacdabaabdfd88d.jpg

UFH floor piping laid

2018-07-31_12_45_22.thumb.jpg.a19ab018284e8df78819a1d48b9760b5.jpg

plenty of height available to threshold 2018-07-31_12_50_53.thumb.jpg.2a4d75e08f445d088d3f34dfe5f57314.jpg

screed being poured

2018-07-31_13_05_06.thumb.jpg.979c56ff54c14d72c2a80153ad989c99.jpg2018-07-31_13_05_06.thumb.jpg.979c56ff54c14d72c2a80153ad989c99.jpg

All covered and levelled

2018-07-31_13_14_55.thumb.jpg.80f40298fbfa8e1c586d43cde5d85524.jpg

curing agent spayed on 

2018-07-31_12_42_57.thumb.jpg.ce72d2fb396cb88b42c344b549a770c0.jpg

Highly recommended - 

24 hours to be walked on and 16 (minimum) to floor laying.  But that is planned for early September

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That looks like a giant leap forward! Seemed to know what they were doing.

It feels like it too - beginning to hope September is doable for moving in.

• Like 1

This company also:

Quoted within 24 hours of a request on their website.

Did 5 different revisions following input from @PeterW and @Nickfromwales within about 7 days 

Arranged to do job within 7 days of me giving them the order

Turned up on time - well 10 past 9 instead of 9 o'clock from Sutton Coldfield approx an hour away

Were polite and friendly - even when I was pestering them (on instruction from Nick)

Were very grateful for cups of tea - never get offered them down south where most of their work is they said

Cleaned up all their rubbish and were away by 1.30pm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1