Wiiiiiide windows

gravelld

Getting some quotes for replacement windows. Some of the windows are about 900mm wide. The normal suspect alu clad providers have given quotes fine.

I had a local uPVC installer (of Rehau profiles) also visit because I wanted to understand the value - what we get for a likely lower price. He said:

- They can't make casement windows 900mm wide with 3G - it's too heavy. 750mm max

- They could do it if they were top openers only

- 900mm wide is too wide to be practical anyway because you can't reach that far

These windows are generally 1200mm high, max.

One thing that raises my eyebrow is that one of the "normal suspect alu clad providers" who also make uPVC did provide a quote for 900mm wide uPVC.

Just wondered if anyone could comment on this?

- Is it a problem with uPVC that you can't go this wide?

- Is 900mm wide too wide to be practical anyway?

Edited by gravelld

900mm isn't too wide. If you think about it how wide is a door? Everyone uses a door without issue. All companies differ and have a table of max sizes for fixed, casement, tilt and turn, etc. Usually these max sizes are in a ratio of width and height. Eg if you reduce the height you might be allowed wider but only up to a point. They'll also have a table for the minimum size. It relates to the strength of the frame, the weight of the glass, the proportions, etc. You'll find some alu clad companies can do a opening of a certain size while another can't.  It's similar for PVC. What you'll generally find is the higher quality and more expensive brands can do bigger opes and sizes. Cheaper frames struggle with larger opes.

I've one project for a client currently on site and we had a lot of discussions with the size of the windows. Elements of the house were designed around the largest pieces of glass we could get without having to split it into multiple parts and have chunky frames or glazing joints. We had one opening 6.5 m long and 2.7m wide. When getting quotes everyone needed to split it in two so we talked to the suppliers to see what was their max size and reduced the size of the ope. The difference in max sizes was eye opening with a lot only able to go 2.4m high. For example the largest lift and slide in a single piece Internorm do is 5.8 meters wide and 2.7 meters tall so we went with this and reduced the ope. The odd company said they'd make it bigger than their usual max size but it would be sold and installed without a guarantee. I'd definitely avoid this.

• Like 1

Thanks, I added the height in.

Interesting about the difference in max sizes; I should say that the aforementioned uPVC installer said they could make them this large, but they'd break in no time.

It's a bit difficult to compare, because installers of Rehau seem to have a more fragmented supply chain and installation process (glazing on site etc). It could be just as much about the hinges as the profile? I don't even know who chooses the hinges in these cases.

Edited by gravelld

In a previous house we had a 1M wide fully glazed (i.e 1 big tall pain) 2G PVC door.

It gave no end of problems with the door sagging and catching on the frame.  Basically, the PVC door had no intrinsic strength, and the weight of the glass was too much for it.  We had the window company back at least twice and the only fix was take the glass out, re stick it back into the frame and put shims in strategic places to try and stop the weight of the glass pressing down on the PVC frame.

It never was perfect but the buyers never mentioned it when we sold the house.

We have a similar thing in the new house, Rationel 3G ali clad timber and it has given no problem whatsoever.

So I am minded to agree, PVC frames might not be strong enough for large heavy panes.

• Like 1

We have Rehau Geneo triple glazed t&t frames and a couple of the sashes are 930mm wide and 1200 high. We also have a Rehau Geneo fully double  glazed porch door that is 1100mm wide and 2370mm high. No problems in the last six years.

• Thanks 1

I have Internorm windows, the largest is 2400mm wide and 1800mm high split into two pains, so a single 1200mm wide 1800mm high pain.  This is quadruple glazed, triple glazed windoe with inbuilt blinds an a fourth pain outside the blinds.  these are alu clad uPVC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

We have Rehau Geneo triple glazed t&t frames and a couple of the sashes are 930mm wide and 1200 high. We also have a Rehau Geneo fully double  glazed porch door that is 1100mm wide and 2370mm high. No problems in the last six years.

Thanks - interesting reference point. They only do the TOTAL70 range (at best). They said they have never fitted Geneo. Do you know a way of filtering the Rehau installer list by product-installed?

11 hours ago, gravelld said:

Thanks - interesting reference point. They only do the TOTAL70 range (at best). They said they have never fitted Geneo. Do you know a way of filtering the Rehau installer list by product-installed?

I'm sorry I don't.