No Nonsense? Pha! Suck on this......

You'll know of my adventures with foam. ?

And so you can imagine how careful I now am about using the stuff. Got more foam gun cleaner cans than cans of foam.

20180711_080648.thumb.jpg.44785f48c320ca11737d12b8846f9652.jpg

Imagine then how I feel when the little spray attachment is as detachable as Trump's wig. It threatens to fall off as soon as you look at it.

And when three fall off when on the top of the scaffolding to disappear into the maw of the mess that accumulates under the scaffolding.

The little lanyard is about as thick as Donald Trump's skin : the spray attachment falls off at the slightest excuse.

Who has solved this annoying little issue?

It is acetone, and only dissolves uncured or partially cured foam, rather than cured foam (I don't know of anything readily available that dissolves cured PU foam).

Rather than buy the spray cans, I buy 5 litre cans of acetone.  Typically these are around £20 for a one-off 5 litre can delivered, cheaper if you buy more, as half the price is the hazardous materials shipping cost.  I found that stripping the gun and dropping the parts in a jar of acetone did a better cleaning job than using the spray alone.

• Like 1

I’ve got acetone here if you need it as it’s the only thing that will remove my LED cured nail polish :) ? 

I buy online, a litre bottle at a time. 5l will clearly be more cost effective but I’m not sure how long it can be stored for and don’t use it for anything else. Any other uses apart from removing polymer nail polishes and half cured foam? 

Acetone stores for ages in a sealed container.  It's not that nice to your hands though.  MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is every bit as good as acetone, but a little bit safer to use and slightly less harmful to your skin,

Nail varnish remover often contains a moisturising additive, something like coconut oil, to reduce the effect acetone has on removing the natural oils from the skin.  Both acetone and MEK will attack a wide range of plastics (but not polyethylenes) so need to be used with caution.  They are very good for degreasing stuff, but I find they evaporate too quickly to be that useful as a degreaser, so prefer to use something less effective, but safer and polar, like isopropanol, which will wash off with water.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Dichloromethane is better for Polyurethanes, it will dissolved them when they have cured.

Not flammable either.  Why we used it when I was moulding PUs.

I have a can of that and will give it a go, as getting rid of cured PU is always a right PITA.  FWIW, dichloromethane (or methylene chloride) is also what's sold at an inflated price as solvent pipe cleaner, the stuff you wipe around the pipe and fitting to be joined before using the solvent cement (the solvent cement is just a mixture of methylene chloride, hydrofuran and some dissolved PVC to thicken it up, if you fancy making your own).

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

if you fancy making your own

I tend to avoid the 'sticky stuff' these days, though I am always looking at houses and wonder why composites are not used more.

Seems silly to me that we can make complicated shapes that are waterproof from cheap hand laminated GRP i.e. a fishpond, but we make walls and roofs of houses from small components with joints between them.  And they tend to be put together by people with hangovers and  little education in material science.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Acetone stores for ages in a sealed container.  It's not that nice to your hands though.  MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is every bit as good as acetone, but a little bit safer to use and slightly less harmful to your skin,

Thanks. I haven’t heard of MEK being used before. All of the manicurists removing polish from UV or LED cured polish use pure acetone. It doesn’t seem to come off if it’s diluted with anything and doesn’t come off with acetone free nail polish removers. In fact you can paint a standard polish on top and then remove it with acetone free without affecting the cured polish. I’ve no idea what’s in acetone free remover TBH. 

It’s pretty harsh stuff but it’s only once every 4 weeks as the polish bonds to the nail. Might try to get a small bottle of MEK and see if it works if it’s kinder. 

2 hours ago, newhome said:

I’ve got acetone here if you need it as it’s the only thing that will remove my LED cured nail polish :) ? 

I buy online, a litre bottle at a time. 5l will clearly be more cost effective but I’m not sure how long it can be stored for and don’t use it for anything else. Any other uses apart from removing polymer nail polishes and half cured foam? 

Acetone stores for a decade or more in my experience if kept sealed.

• Thanks 1

Well, I see you lot do not in fact have an answer to the question of what to do if you  lose the little red widget at the end of the can......

So, I've had a brainwave. Yes indeed.

But another gun and leave it permanently attached to the pressurised can of cleaning fluid. That way I always have the wherewithal to clean out my other dirty gun screw couplings!

Simples! ( as NFW would say)

8 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Well, I see you lot do not in fact have an answer to the question of what to do if you  lose the little red widget at the end of the can......

So, I've had a brainwave. Yes indeed.

But another gun and leave it permanently attached to the pressurised can of cleaning fluid. That way I always have the wherewithal to clean out my other dirty gun screw couplings!

Simples! ( as NFW would say)

That's what I do sort of but without the extra gun, have two cans of cleaner on the go. Especially handy when changing cans. Use the one with the red widget on to blast around where the new can screws on and the one without the widget to screw on and blast thru the gun if cleaning out.

Edited by Onoff

Just thought I'd post up a simple idea I had and works really well to keep the gun nozzle clean. Simply drill a hole slightly smaller than the gun neck in a small clear bottle (I used a Lucozade one) and half fill with acetone. When you've finished with your gun, simple push the neck though the hole into the bottle of acetone :)

20180717_144837.jpg

20180717_144832.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

foam that dries in the threaded part

Never heard of that problem, it has never happened on an PU moulding machines I have ever used.

If only the industry knew of a cheap, non flammable, low environmental damaging liquid that could sort it our if it ever happened.

Not happened to me, either.  I left one of my guns for several months with a part used can of foam on and all it needed to get it going again was the end of the nozzle cleaning.  As long as the pin valve at the nozzle is working OK and not leaking, the liquid inside the gun itself should just stay liquid. 

8 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I’d patent that if I were you. 

Now the only problem that needs to be solved is the foam that dries in the threaded part ; especially where the can nozzle mates with the gun. 

Spray the thread and the top of the can when you change cans and get all the foam off before you put a new can on and that doesn’t happen ...