Sound proofing a fridge

ProDave

"The Fridge" arrived today.

In spite of some reviews saying how quite it is, I find it is just an ordinary fridge where you can hear the compressor purring when it is running. I want to make it quieter.

Where it is going is in an alcove formed by timber and plasterboard walls.  On one side is just a spur of wall for a door to open against and to provide a place for the light switches. On the other side of the fridge will be the wall to the pantry. Thus the fridge is enclosed on 3 sides but open at the top.

Obviously I will fill the timber frames of these stud walls with accoustic insulation. That will cut down the noise transmitted and help enclose it.

But what I am more thinking of is lining the inside of the alcove so created into which the fridge sits, with some soft sound absorbing material. Thinking a hard plasterboard finish will just reflect the sound out of it's recess so what is needed is something soft to absorb and not reflect the sound.

The back wall of the alcove will probably be the one that most needs this treatment, as that is closest to the compressor that is open to the back of the fridge Treating the side walls would probably be less effective.

Any ideas?

I don't want it to "look" like anything. That is why my first attack will just be line the back of the alcove that will be hidden by the fridge.  And yes Carpet is one of the things I will try but will be a magnet for fluff and dust. Perhaps something like a very thick cushioned vinyl?

If I end up lining the sides of the alcove then the appearance may become an issue, depending how far towards the front the lining goes.

I used a couple of second hand acoustic foam panels at the back of my Geberit frame to hopefully damp down the flush noise.  Off eBay. As good as new the front with just a bit of spray glue on the rear. 

20170812_145241

DODO Mat is used for sound deadening in cars etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

cork tiles?

Didn't a Mike Harding sketch go on about when he went to see a house for sale and every surface except one was covered in cork? 

Probably - Way way back in the 70's when I was first married our first house (a late 60's estate semi) had a mock stone fireplace with one of 'those' modern gas fires.  The first thing we did was take it down, then covered the rough place where the mock chimney breast had been with cork tiles and a picture mirror lol.  ?:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Probably - Way way back in the 70's when I was first married our first house (a late 60's estate semi) had a mock stone fireplace with one of 'those' modern gas fires.  The first thing we did was take it down, then covered the rough place where the mock chimney breast had been with cork tiles and a picture mirror lol.  ?:ph34r:

When my brother and I were children my parents had a wall of cork tiles in their dining room. Being delightful kids and obviously being forward thinking and seeing the style disaster that they were to become my brother and I used to sit and pick bits out of the cork tiles :D

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

When my brother and I were children my parents had a wall of cork tiles in their dining room. Being delightful kids and obviously being forward thinking and seeing the style disaster that they were to become my brother and I used to sit and pick bits out of the cork tiles :D

No need to draw attention to the fact that you were a child when I was married ?  I was a child bride ?

Edited by Hecateh
  • Haha 1