Employers liability insurance

Evening, I could probably had a search for this, but it’s hot and I’m tired

could anybody recommend insurance companies for our build

what I would like

any lads coming on site will be insured against an accident which results in them being hurt

ranging from the odd job man down the road who helps me now with the odd thing or two, to a subby chippy who has his own company but as a sole trader, including the two lads that work on the big site down the road who are giving me a hand just on weekends. 

I would like like to be able to add on insurance on the building itself but only when there is something on site worth insuring 

from my point of view, for the first month we are just doing Groundworks, the second month is icf walls, I can’t see any reason to insure the pipes in the ground or that someone is going to nick my icf blocks

not needed. 

Building warranty 

tool insurance

Cheers hot and tired in Cirencester. 

I’ve found site insurance to not be too badly priced for what it is and taking it over a year it’s worthwhile doing the whole rebuild cost up front as some won’t insure you part way through. 

Self build insurance is exactly what you want. It covers your public liability, employers liability, and the buildings at whatever stage of construction up to a finished building. No need to keep adding or subtracting anything.

Protek allows a degree of risks mix & match though this falls short of your stated requirement. You can also trim the premium by bumping up the excess to £1000 if that suits your attitude to risk.

The elective parts of their cover are:

1. Hired Plant
  2. Own Plant
  3. Site Facilities
  4. Facilities Contents

By default I got Construction All Risks, Public Liability, Employers Liability and Personal Injury cover.

As you say the insurable risk rises over time, from not a lot and difficult to damage accidentally to very high i.e. a sleep deprived amateur self builder having a go at copper pipe soldering with a blow torch in a weather tight building with lots of exposed wood but missing a fire retarding lining of plasterboard. I guess it would be too expensive to support an insurance product where the self builder tweaked the rebuild sum insured each month.

If I could design a self build insurance policy just for me, I would only want public liability and employers liability prior to first scaffold lift then full self build construction cover as things get serious and expensive to recover.

No mortgage for us but we still took a 10year build warranty in case we want to move etc

Our construction insurance was via buildzone (nothing to do with build warranty). I found them the quickest and easiest to deal with having first asked my broker and weeks later they had still not found anything suitable. I would go with buildzone for ease and speed, they  do this every day of the week so its easy with them.