Chainsaw problem

joe90

After storing my “outdoor” machines for a couple of years I found that I forgot to drain petrol from the carbs and now have problems. With my strimmer I ended up buying a new carburettor after stripping the old one ten times to no avail. My Stihl chainsaw is only a couple of years old and done very little work but even after stripping the carb umpteen times it still refuses to produce fuel!!!!!!. Can anyone recommend “ stuff” that I can soak it in as I presume the fuel has dried out in the very small holes within it. I don’t want to have to buy a new carb for that as well.

cheap carb or brake cleaner is good from your local motor factors. Spray can means you can blast it through too

More likely is that the fuel has dissolved some of the rubber diaphragm and that has got stuck in the needle ports so you need to open the needle valves up all the way. 

Thanks Peter, but guess what, it’s going!!?, just kept pulling and through a cloud of smoke ( oil build up I guess) it’s running. This will teach me to drain and run carbs dry before the winter. I have also read that you can buy petrol with no ethanol in it ( aparrently it’s the ethanol that produces the crud) for garden tools. Also I read on a classic vehicle forum that ethanol is bad for older engines!! 

17 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have also read that you can buy petrol with no ethanol in it ( aparrently it’s the ethanol that produces the crud) for garden tools. 

I've been using Aspen 2 in my chainsaw. Although its expensive I'm not using massive amounts. It's an alkylate petrol which has less benzene and sulphur than normal petrol and stays fresher over time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GreenStar-10126-Aspen-2-Stroke-Engines-Litre/dp/B00LKQIE3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529656338&sr=8-1&keywords=aspen+2+stroke+fuel

Edited by Ian

Guest Alphonsox

+1 for the Aspen stuff, been using it in the Stihl for some years now.

EDIT - Amazon seems ridiculously expensive, 5ltrs should be less than £20.

25 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Also I read on a classic vehicle forum that ethanol is bad for older engines!! 

From memory, ethanol can softens seals and fuel lines in older cars. Most newer ones are okay.

31 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

+1 for the Aspen stuff, been using it in the Stihl for some years now.

EDIT - Amazon seems ridiculously expensive, 5ltrs should be less than £20.

Yes, Amazon price is way off. My local supplier's price is £19 inc vat for 5 litres

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Can anyone recommend “ stuff” that I can soak it in as I presume the fuel has dried out in the very small holes within it.

My reliable marine engineer used to resuscitate gummed up outboard engine carburetors by putting the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner. Something to consider next time you are on your umpteenth carburetor disassembly.

• Haha 1

The Joys of small engines only used occasionally.

I needed to use my wacker plate for about 15 minutes work.  Took well over an hour to strip and clean the carb to get the damned thing to run.  Perhaps @Onoff has the right idea with an electric one?

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The Joys of small engines only used occasionally.

No-one will ever talk me back into a petrol chainsaw for occasional small-medium tasks around the garden. A decent electric provides more than adequate performance, with none of the drama if you don't use it all the time.

• Thanks 1

This freed up the Ford VV carb on my old Capri recently. Engine hadn't started in about 20 years. Mind it would have been proper old 4 star not this modern sticky crap! Tbh I can't fault the Tectane products from TS. I use loads of their Contact Spray at work along with the Penetrating Oil.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+%26+Sprays/sd2795/Carburettor+Cleaner/p30713

(The Pro-Coat Cold Galv Spray is excellent too).

Not that I would trust myself to use a chainsaw :o but I only ever buy electric appliances now as I can never start the damn petrol things and I certainly can't service them. So lawnmower, strimmer etc are all cordless affairs these days and work fine.