Gate Pillars

Onoff

• 2 weeks later...

A 3-core SWA to the motor, a 3-core CY for the mag switch. The red & black is for a possible extra set of photocells. All travels underground, through reinforced concrete, in the 3" pipe, to the other pillar.

IMG_20220813_150936265

I cut a piece of wide dpc to isolate between the stainless mounting plate and cast aluminium motor base. Attached with contact adhesive and holes trimmed with a scalpel. 

Reprinting the PETG block the cables come up in for a few mm more clearance. It's just cooling down now.

IMG_20220813_151045658

17 hours ago, Onoff said:

The red & black is for a possible extra set of photocells.

Usually the PIRs have a 4 or 5 core depending on how they’ve been wired - they need to switch something. Have you got a pair to check ..?

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Usually the PIRs have a 4 or 5 core depending on how they’ve been wired - they need to switch something. Have you got a pair to check ..?

Just two wires here to each photocell. I've had them connected to the board on the bench and checked their function:

1660463619893-1232411860.thumb.jpg.3765396ac6ac1f3a9f48f0444f747fa6.jpg

As it stands I've just got photocells 3 & 4 fitted. The aforementioned red/black is if I fit a pair of photocells as "8" on the diagram. I'll likely get some wireless contact strips instead:

1660463540233-671312680.thumb.jpg.7b9931b2d324956c96d4e7a01eeda513.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Is that going to last well outside in the driving sun that is West Kent these days - or is it too shady to ever be a problem?

Time will tell! PETG stands up better to heat than PLA so far. Some stuff we've plastic primed and spray painted. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2022 at 19:25, TonyT said:

Is that a Faac opener?

I’ve had mine 15 years on a sliding gate and works great

Chamberlain. Had it about 10 years...only just taken out of the box! 😂

Fired it up for the first time last night via a temporary lead. Double checked the wiring beforehand of course. Need to sleeve a grey core with some blue sometime but it's all got cable markers etc. Both CR2032 batteries in the remotes dead of course! Fitted a new one in one and it all works a treat so far, nice smooth running action. With a bit of lube it should be even better/quieter. Just got to set up the end of travel magnets tonight. Have "misplaced" one of the magnet mounting brackets like this. Tbh the space between lugs is too narrow to fit over the metal rack I have (like 20mm vs 22mm), designed I guess for the plastic rack:

2022-08-31_07-52-08

Gave to laddo and a few minutes later:

unknown-9

He'll print a couple in black PETG and I'll affix with M5 stainless, countersunk screws drilled and tapped into the rack.

Though I've buried ducted SWA from the garage to gate pillar it's justy coiled up inside the garage along with a couple of other comms cables for video entry, camera etc. That's the next mission, thread it round the garage but I need to move h.duty shelves and one car, possibly two! Then trench to the house...

So another 10 years! 🤣

• Sad 1