Gate Pillars

Onoff

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

Well...

Right or wrong I made up a small mix the same as seemed "right" when I was experimenting in terms of colour and the way it moulded round the flints.

3 builders sand
1 sharp sand
1 lime
1 OPC.

Stuck in the bucket and dry mixed really well first with the Aldi paddle mixer. Then wetted with Everbuild Integral Waterproofer, diluted 20:1. Mixed again. Left a bit then remixed.

Most importantly, despite the sharp sand, the mix is easily pumped with it not drying out at all. Must be the lime/waterproofer having an effect and keeping the water in the mix.

Did the half bucket but the original, skinny, Roughneck mortar gun piston broke. Printing a new heavy duty design now in PETG.

The issue is spacing, a bit bigger than a fingers width in places. I'm going to live with it. When a bit firmer I'll go over the mortar with a dry sponge.

IMG_20220115_150248286.thumb.jpg.ee9c855a9ac4565193d419c21b99ac6b.jpg

IMG_20220115_150237341_HDR.thumb.jpg.554e6caa5d50a9aa2a6d9335241fbf56.jpg

IMG_20220115_150230549.thumb.jpg.70973b66621012459ffcf8d538444795.jpg

That glory hole slot certainly looks too high for me 

Didn't do anymore today (a bit hungover ?).

Tapping those bottom flints, either side of the stainless steel surround and they ring a bit hollow. I can only assume I didn't get enough mix in there when I pumped it in. 

Was wondering whether I could pour a liquid grout or even self levelling compound, down behind the half panel I've done and it'd find its way down?

On off. Please don't be offended. You are my have a go hero on here, to Pocster who is genarally my belly laugh bodger. I'm going to be honest, and say i don't like it. It looks like to much mortar and not enough flint on show for me. I think the flint looks a bit to organised aswell. Sorry mate.

12 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

On off. Please don't be offended. You are my have a go hero on here, to Pocster who is genarally my belly laugh bodger. I'm going to be honest, and say i don't like it. It looks like to much mortar and not enough flint on show for me. I think the flint looks a bit to organised aswell. Sorry mate.

I agree. My first layout for this panel was:

IMG_20210901_190534677.jpg

I ended up with this:

IMG_20220115_150237341_HDR.jpg

I can see me ripping this all out and going "traditional", like might have been suggested once or twice.....here and elsewhere.....

• Haha 1

Just now, Big Jimbo said:

Pocster... i was trying to be polite about the flint panel. I see you can't be bothered with that.?

Nah . I’ve just had a 45 minute online argument with Deliveroo and then had to go to the restaurant myself . So I’m in no mood for prisoners , executions all the way .

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Radian said:

@Onoff have you thought about brushing a cement/SBR slurry on the backs of those flints? I don't know if that would get you the adhesion you need but it works on shiny stuff like porcelain.

Funny, I did think of SBR earlier today but was thinking to paint each one neat as I set them in place. Your idea is better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Funny, I did think of SBR earlier today but was thinking to paint each one neat as I set them in place. Your idea is better. 

SBR has gotten me out of quite a few sticky situations ? You just know it's good because it's reassuringly expensive!

1 minute ago, Radian said:

SBR has gotten me out of quite a few sticky situations ? You just know it's good because it's reassuringly expensive!

And really difficult to get off tools and all the other unwanted places it seems to get!

Good idea by the way for Onoffs flints.