Any refrigeration experts here (ASHP)?

ProDave

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

They don't want the old one back.

Glad to hear you got a good result, that's better than I would have thought likely, and bodes well for the future in terms of support.

The best bit is that it looks like you get to be able to play around with the old one and find out why it's not working and whether it can be fixed easily (and I strongly suspect it can).

Good news all around.

That’s excellent news. Hope the new one is brand spanking new and works straight off the pallet. The rewriring is a pain but it’s much better to have a current model and wiring is your bag after all :)

Large companies almost always have an executive complaints department so it’s nearly always worth an email to the CEO if you can’t resolve it with the local team. Forget Ryanair however. Apparently Mr O’Leary doesn’t give a stuff about such things ?

Now the big decision will be what to do with the old one! 

I still think it best not to mention the companies involved, such threads occasionally "go bad" when names are named. 

Watch out for a new thread when the new one arrives and I start to connect it, probably some time early next week.

I will probably try and sell the old one on the bay. The problem is I am sure it is repairable, but if as I suspect it is lacking it's refrigerant gas, then it's about £100 worth of gas, and finding someone to do it. The one person I found locally that would do it was talking of at least £300 for the gas and the job of filling it.

It's not even very useful to strip for parts. The control boards are too proprietary to be of any use for anything else. There is a small inverter and a Raspbery Pi in there which is about all of use.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Well done Dave ( I just have to try mine now?).

I now wish I had tried this as soon as I got it. All I did was power it up and establish communications with it's built in user interface.  I now wish I had rigged it up with some hoses to a water butt and tried running it to make sure it worked.

It’s all worked out pretty well though. You’ve now got a (hopefully working) current model that should work great. I know you will still be thinking that it was hassle but I thought that you may end up with your money back and struggling to replace the item for the same ballpark figure. I didn’t think they would want the unit back because let’s face it you live in the back of beyond ;) and it would have cost them to retrieve something that was ultimately worthless to them. 

Find out the price of the new one and that will cheer you up I’m sure. Probably the ultimate bargain. 

• Like 1

The list price of the new one is a LOT more than he one I bought, but then the list price of that was a lot more than what I paid.

I very briefly toyed with the idea of paying to fix the old one and selling the new one, but that would just be silly.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

I very briefly toyed with the idea of paying to fix the old one and selling the new one, but that would just be silly.

NOOOOOOO!!!!! That would be crazy and mental. The second the old one broke down again you’d be cursing yourself. 

You may be better using the local selling sites on Facebook or similar to get shot of the old one given its size. No fees to pay either. And using eBay as a back up option. 

You could call up a refrigerant technician and ask them for a quote, then when they say something silly, ask if they want to buy it off you.

If they say yes, then you know , that they know, what is wrong with it and it is a tuppence ha'penny repair.

Edited by SteamyTea

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

I now wish I had tried this as soon as I got it. All I did was power it up and establish communications with it's built in user interface.  I now wish I had rigged it up with some hoses to a water butt and tried running it to make sure it worked.

The difference with mine was I bought it privately so no warranty but it was still on the original pallet and shrink wrapped from the factory so I thought it was worth the punt, I will let you know when I find out ?.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

The difference with mine was I bought it privately so no warranty but it was still on the original pallet and shrink wrapped from the factory so I thought it was worth the punt, I will let you know when I find out ?.

I know someone who has one going up for sale :D. Seriously, I hope yours works out fine. Law of averages says we can’t have 2 ASHP failures on the trot so fingers crossed. 

• Sad 1

Just now, SteamyTea said:

No it doesn't as they are independent events.  That is like saying a football team cannot loose twice in a row ;)

Depends whether Dave is doing something wrong with them! :D

A guy was going to take a bomb onto a plane. A friend asked him why, and he said he was worried about terrorists, but that it was incredibly unlikely there'd be two bombs on the one flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

No it doesn't as they are independent events.  That is like saying a football team cannot loose twice in a row ;)

It was said tongue in cheek you know ;) but if 5% of ASHPs fail (for example) then the probability of 2 failing together is unlikely, but doesn't mean it won't happen of course! But we want @joe90 to remain positive about his, especially as he won't have a big kick arse CEO to sort things out for him. 

34 minutes ago, jack said:

A guy was going to take a bomb onto a plane. A friend asked him why, and he said he was worried about terrorists, but that it was incredibly unlikely there'd be two bombs on the one flight.

I always tell myself that the probability of a plane crash so soon after another one is remote so I am more safe directly after a plane crash (crazy I know!). I did sh1t myself flying Cubana from Holguin to Havana though as I was certain that it was unsafe! In fact it was one of the airlines I least wanted to fly with but we did make it there and back in once piece. They did have a crash on that route last month however with many fatalities :(

Edited by newhome

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Or the drunk trying to walk along the white line in the middle of a very busy road, half the time he was one side, half the other.  He should have been perfectly safe.

An economist is shooting at a target. The first shot is 3 feet to the left of it. The second shot if 3 feet to the right. The economist yells "bullseye!"

• Like 2

Or if we really want to know what is happening, then set this up right and it will give a decent probability

P(k events in interval) = e-\lambda. \lambdak/k!

Where:

• λ{\displaystyle \lambda }\lambda is the average number of events per interval
  • e is the number 2.71828...
  • k takes values 0, 1, 2, …
  • k! = k × (k − 1) × (k − 2) × …

Bugger, this sight does not seem to show symbols the same as my PC

So just look up Poisson Distribution or time to failure and time between failure.

Edited by SteamyTea

If it was anywhere nearby I could do it, if I can find a reasonably priced bottle of gas.  I have a home made vacuum pump, set of digital scales and a UV leak test light, and have filled and refilled refrigerators and car aircon systems in the past.  It's not hard to do, but I'd need to know the weight of gas the thing needs for a charge.  The unit also has to be powered up to fill it, as you have to run the compressor to check for leaks.

I could easily talk someone through pumping it out and filling it, as I was trained to fill lab refrigerators when I did a summer holiday job at Gallenkamp, the lab equipment manufacturers.  My training in the test bay only took a couple of hours, tops, then I was let loose filling and testing production units.

Well guys I am positive, thanks newhome, , but I know that shit happens,hence it’s a punt. I will let you all know in good time ( when I get through my urgent to do list).( which is quite long) ?

• Like 1