Get your trades booked

I didn’t think that this summer could be as busy as 2017 

It looks like there is no sign of slowing down

Ive enough work  for myself and five others till December now

Thogh it’s nearly all site work It’s bound to have a knock effect for self building 

Its well worth getting everyone booked as most are happy to price from drawings 

I was chatting to a friend who runs a Groundworks business He selfbuilt back in 2008 as the recession started and managed to build a five bed house for £120000

Due to cheap labour and heavily discounted materials 

I wish

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nod said:

[...]

Ive enough work  for myself and five others till December now

Though it’s nearly all site work It’s bound to have a knock effect for self building 

Its well worth getting everyone booked as

[...]

I've almost given up trying Gary....

November for a roofer, 10 weeks for my next door neighbour chippy ; ask at the pub where all the trades drink - polite smiles and ; I'll get back to ya mate....

I've just hit the same problem today - I've spent most of this morning trying to get hold of a contractor to resurface our old drive (no luck at all so far - all booked up) and a fencing contractor to put up a better fence along the top of our retaining wall.  For the latter job I'm using the chap that's done all our landscaping work, but he's booked up for months ahead.

I've resorted to emailing people for quotes, as many just aren't answering their 'phones, and I'm betting that I won't get many, if any, replies.  It's damned annoying, as I've been too busy to get things organised for the past couple of months, and now I have the time to start getting things done it seems everyone is just too busy.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I've just hit the same problem today - I've spent most of this morning trying to get hold of a contractor to resurface our old drive (no luck at all so far - all booked up) and a fencing contractor to put up a better fence along the top of our retaining wall.  For the latter job I'm using the chap that's done all our landscaping work, but he's booked up for months ahead.

I've resorted to emailing people for quotes, as many just aren't answering their 'phones, and I'm betting that I won't get many, if any, replies.  It's damned annoying, as I've been too busy to get things organised for the past couple of months, and now I have the time to start getting things done it seems everyone is just too busy.

Yes the mad thing is

We were all supposed to be out of work With soaring interest rates after Brexit 

50 minutes ago, newhome said:

Do trades ever suggest others who could possibly do a job if they are too busy, or is it just a ‘no sorry, too busy’ response? 

We had a tree chap that did just this, and we used the chap he suggested, who did a very good job, so it seems that some do.  However, I've asked this morning during my fruitless ringing around session and none that I managed to talk to would suggest anyone else, though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, newhome said:

Do trades ever suggest others who could possibly do a job if they are too busy, or is it just a ‘no sorry, too busy’ response? 

Definitely 

A good one normally will only recommend someone that they are pretty sure about

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

We had a tree chap that did just this, and we used the chap he suggested, who did a very good job, so it seems that some do.  However, I've asked this morning during my fruitless ringing around session and none that I managed to talk to would suggest anyone else, though.

Definitely Jeremy 

ive a friend with a joinery shop

He'd rather I owe him the time rather than pay him

He's getting crazy money for some of the jobs coming in 

But hasn’t hiked the prices for regular customers like me he knows things will quiet down eventually 

One of the larger company directors said to me today 

I’m bloody sick of this

We need a bloody recession 

i am getting quotes for several roofing jobs at present, across about 4 houses - mainly small pre-winter type ones but one larger.

Roofer this morning will be recommending a rendererererer, as he doesn't do it.

F

45 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I’ve never had any luck with that. When we had trades on site they quite often recommended another trade but never their own leading us to employ numpty after numpty especially in plumbing land! 

• 2 weeks later...