Threshold detail

Morning all

has anybody got any views on threshold design when using ICF blocks, standard footings not insulated slab and a block n beam floor. 

I have my own thoughts using marmox blocks under the doors

floor will have concrete topping on top of insulation 

would like to reduce any cold bridge from concrete core of ICF blocks and concrete floor topping

i brought this up on a recent training day with nudura and they seemed to think it was unnecessary and to just run the concrete floor right in to join up with the concrete core of the blocks, as they said the heat loss cold bridge from the core was minimal. 

Thoughts please. 

Will try and add a bit more to see if there’s any opinions out there

would a high density xps be hard enough to sit a sliding door on

looking to eliminate a cold bridge under a sliding door and the only two ideas I have come up with are marmox blocks or sheet xps cut to size. 

We have eps300 upstands on our slab and I wouldn't sit the sliders on them, far to much weight. Its a detail we should have investigated in more detail now the gaulhofer windows are half in, need to work out a solution now??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you  look at this vid @Vijay you will need to watch about 3/4 through Charlie has a fibreglass angle fixed to his slab, any views on this.

I have very mixed views about CL.  To much of his series just seems to be product placement. 

He got his window placement wrong for his skin construction. I added a polite constructive comment, pointing out the issue that he missed and suggesting an alternative placement and asked his views.  I went back to the page a couple of weeks later to see his answer and the post had been removed.

And as to his tongue design, yes this is a good solution, but IMO a simple reinforced concrete tongue is just a lot simpler; you just need to surround it on the external cill side with something like foam glass to create the thermal break. This is what we did and it definitely works fine.

PS. He hid the post, and checking his latest video on stonework, he has reposition his windows as I suggested that he would have to do. ?

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 2