Hecateh

Had most of my Windows fitted last week and this week they came to fit the sliding patio doors.  I wanted bifold but because of cost compromised with sliders. It was suggested that I have 3 panels with 2 sliders to maximise the opening by a different company. The quote came through with 2 fixed panels which was counter productive in having a wider opening. I phoned up and explained what I wanted and that I that the single panel should be on the opposite side to that given on the quote and received an email confirming both instructions. The door came with 2 fixed panels and one slider. They were getting it in to position when I luckily went to look and saw it wasn't right and told them. It is a father and son company and the son is my contact. The father went ballistic saying they'd told me I couldn't have 2 sliders. Slammed everything down, threw everything back in the van and drove off with tires squealing. I got an email the next day from the son apologising for his dad's behaviour but reiterating that they had told me I couldn't have 2 sliders.

I know that they can be made with 2 or even all 3 sliding. I was offered them by another company and have seen them online.

However I am now wondering what to do.

I am definitely not having the doors that have been made. They are just wrong.  

but

Do I get them to make me some standard 2 piece doors?

Do I source 3 way sliders from somewhere else? And if so do I go for UPVC, which I know will be bulky, or aluminium Or

Do I pay the extra and get bifolds

Another setback as of course whichever option I choose there is a lead time putting back me being watertight

Thoughts please

Edited by Hecateh
  • Sad 1

You need to look at exactly what you signed, which will show what you and them have agreed to.

A drawing will show an arrow indicating the door slides.

The cost of a sliding door will be more than a fixed panel, so this will be obvious in the price too.

Once you know exactly who is in the wrong then you can decide how to proceed

• Like 1

Nothing signed.

Last email states what I wanted.  They are saying it shouldn't have been sent but it was sent confirming a conversation.  They are not arguing about liability.

If you have the email confirming 2 sliders and 1 fixed then you look to be on solid ground, did you pay by credit card, if so you can gt your money back that way if they refuse to play ball. Personally, provided you can get bifolds that meet the regs - they are an air tightness nightmare, and your requirements they are probably the best way to go even at a little higher cost a few extra pounds now will be worth it to roll away the whole window when you want to connect the inside with the outside.

4 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

If you have the email confirming 2 sliders and 1 fixed then you look to be on solid ground, did you pay by credit card, if so you can gt your money back that way if they refuse to play ball. Personally, provided you can get bifolds that meet the regs - they are an air tightness nightmare, and your requirements they are probably the best way to go even at a little higher cost a few extra pounds now will be worth it to roll away the whole window when you want to connect the inside with the outside.

I think that's what I want to do.  I know people do have problems with them but it isn't a huge space (big for me) at 2.7 m.  but I do worry about them being drafty

To keep our structural elements simple, we were more or less restricted to a 3m opening which is quite small. At that size I don’t see how even treble sliders can get anywhere near the effect of a bifold door.

They are on the sheltered side of the house but do not seem to unduly allow draughty through the seal. They are DG so you can feel an airflow down the glass when it is cold more than through the seals.

• Like 1

I have bifold made by a local company ( oak) didn’t get a price as all house windows were included. I specified an upstand so a compression seal was used all round, yet to do an air test but I think they are very draughtproof. It’s not our part m entrance and the up stand is about 20mm.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2018 at 14:11, Mr Punter said:

With the bifolds, the flush threshold seems the weak point.  If the profile has a small upstand (inside for open out, outside for open in), they can be fairly draught-free.

This flange (against the tiles) goes all round the frame, not just the bottom.

previously the question has been raised about exactly how often people open their bi fold doors full anyway. Well, all of May is a good answer this year and we don’t even have a patio yet.

sliders/French doors wouldn’t be the same.

ABF10335-021C-4FC4-ADA0-48EC3861E566.jpeg

1187427B-53AA-49E7-8BE3-76BA0C513F1D.jpeg

Edited by daiking
  • Like 1

I've opted for aluminium bifold.  Door to one side and 2 pane folded to the other.  Got a 2 week lead time though - delays ... delays ... delays.

However, I am in the process of putting my current house on the market so that is my priority at the moment.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

And I've just noticed my typing error in the title - bugger!

We’re all too polite on here to point that out ;). You can change it if you edit your first post though :)

Glad you’ve got a way forward with the doors. 

Edited by newhome

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

We’re all too polite on here to point that out ;). You can change it if you edit your first post though :)

Done - I din't realise I could edit the topic.

I hadn't noticed an over abundance of politeness on this forum (thank goodness) 

I'd be insulted if people thought they had to be polite to me ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

won't mention the one in the last post then :D no doubt that'll come back to bite me in the future

bummer - I had to read it 3 times to spot it too ?

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues.  The doors arrived today.  Fitters here nice and early 8.30 great.   Frames fitted and looking good ... bu.u.u.u.u.u.u.u.t the glass was the wrong size.  

Just arrived back at 11,15 - turns out they brought the glass from the previous doors (the wrong ones) they now have the correct glass (I hope) fitting it now.  

My house should be watertight by the end of the day.  ??

Joinery also currently happening.  I now have stud walls and ceilings in the entry level.  

Things are coming together finally Yay!