Edpm at edges

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I thought the EPDM was over cement board and then the concrete was over the top of that?

Anyway, GRP can be laid over concrete, just needs the concrete to be primed with G4 first.

Yes ; layers are correct

So I’m stripping this back to the 30mm concrete ( defective EPDM is below that )

Why oh why did he ignore grp so dismissively..... 

Edited by pocster

Went back to this thread

Sigh!; still none the wiser. The guy that visited said he had no real idea how to 'finish' the edpm at the edges - but with grp it could be done. ( once he recovered from his obvious shock)

If I'm 'floating' the tiles on pedestals ; why can't I float the parking area also??  on a special purpose construction???

This then solves the issue of car/concrete on grp (or edpm)

Ignoring 'depth' issues - what would theoretically be wrong with say a steel structure to support the driveway?

24 minutes ago, pocster said:

Went back to this thread

Sigh!; still none the wiser. The guy that visited said he had no real idea how to 'finish' the edpm at the edges - but with grp it could be done. ( once he recovered from his obvious shock)

If I'm 'floating' the tiles on pedestals ; why can't I float the parking area also??  on a special purpose construction???

This then solves the issue of car/concrete on grp (or edpm)

Ignoring 'depth' issues - what would theoretically be wrong with say a steel structure to support the driveway?

I agree with him, GRP would make the detailing around the awkward areas at the edges and upstands a lot simpler to implement, and likely be significantly more reliable in the long term. 

I also think that the idea of a galvanised steel subframe, that's free draining and which supports the pavers is a good one.  You can then just ensure that the GRP "bathtub" underneath is properly drained, so water runs off easily, so reducing the risk of any water getting close to the junction of the roof lights and the top of their upstands.

At a guess, standard walk way galvanised grating, like this, may well do the job, fitted to stand off legs with load spreading plates underneath them: https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/galvanised-steel-walkway

You could opt to just leave the grating exposed, even, or go for a GRP grating like this stuff: http://www.duracomposites.com/industrial/fibreglass-grp-grating/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I agree with him, GRP would make the detailing around the awkward areas at the edges and upstands a lot simpler to implement, and likely be significantly more reliable in the long term. 

I also think that the idea of a galvanised steel subframe, that's free draining and which supports the pavers is a good one.  You can then just ensure that the GRP "bathtub" underneath is properly drained, so water runs off easily, so reducing the risk of any water getting close to the junction of the roof lights and the top of their upstands.

At a guess, standard walk way galvanised grating, like this, may well do the job, fitted to stand off legs with load spreading plates underneath them: https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/galvanised-steel-walkway

You could opt to just leave the grating exposed, even, or go for a GRP grating like this stuff: http://www.duracomposites.com/industrial/fibreglass-grp-grating/

Wish you were my architect @JSHarris

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Galvanised steel sitting in damp will rust like f*** and surprisingly quickly too.

I've got a 30+ year old galvanised anchor that suggests otherwise!  Even my old galvanised mooring chains, would wear before they corroded out.  I think there is a problem with a lot of supposedly galvanised steel not being proper hot dip galvanised, which may well be a part of the problem, but we had galvanised grating walkways running over concrete ducts at work that had been there thirty years or more and still looked OK.

Failing that, the Duracomposites stuff I linked to would probably last forever. IIRC, it's very similar to the stuff used on oil rigs.

On 23/10/2018 at 18:56, pocster said:

This is what I thought . All depends on steel thickness required .....

You could have a look at using the steel grating in place of the pavers.  Some of them look pretty good, and it would be one less expense.  There are systems made that have only narrow slots, that can even be walked on in stilettos, should you be minded to...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

You could have a look at using the steel grating in place of the pavers.  Some of them look pretty good, and it would be one less expense.  There are systems made that have only narrow slots, that can even be walked on in stiletto, should you be minded to...

Might come to that just to save on height 

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

No composite grating that woukd fit the bill?

Yes, in the link I gave earlier there's even one that will take gravel on top, from the look of it: http://www.duracomposites.com/industrial/fibreglass-grp-grating/micro-mesh-grating-drainage-grating-walkways-grating-catwalk-grating/

Mounts on pillars, too:

fibreglass_grating22_11.jpg

• Like 1

Hang on !

Am I being thick !!

What’s wrong with making a concrete parking slab and then simply grp up the sides of that direct to the floor . No need to grp under it ! Though grp would go over the parking area - that might be an issue ...

?!?!? ?

Edited by pocster

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

You can't mix solutions, as that's a recipe for failure.  If going for GRP, then create a single, integral, GRP "tub" over the entire roof area, including the edges and upstands, with no breaks or joins.

Exactly ! . But if *just* the top of the parking slab was EPDM  it could overlap the grp . EPDM just to keep Architect happy - then driveway pavers ontop this

so ‘tub’ ; sides ; upstands ; side of parking slab all grp - continuous .

Edited by pocster

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

As we're "thinking out loud"...

How about...EPDM then rubber mat:

16mm-rubber-grass-mats-150x100.jpg.337720e2b0cc5f1662faedabfc294b53.jpg

https://www.matsgrids.co.uk/rubber-grass-mats/65-16mm-rubber-grass-mats-150x100-5060423910770.html?

Then blocks laid on sand / cement mix.

I should point out I've just necked a large Cobra...

All suggestions welcome !

Non standard build requires non standard solution!

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Car parking area is essentially a giant upstand - but with edpm just on top ....

I doubt you'd get a reliable joint, so would suggest you just GRP the whole area, to make one integral, watertight, composite roof with no joints.  Joints are always going to be the Achilles heel of any waterproofing system, and the really big advantage of GRP is that there are no joints.

Just now, JSHarris said:

I doubt you'd get a reliable joint, so would suggest you just GRP the whole area, to make one integral, watertight, composite roof with no joints.  Joints are always going to be the Achilles heel of any waterproofing system, and the really big advantage of GRP is that there are no joints.

I like the idea of grp. Easy to repair too! Maybe with something with "give" on top before the paving.

See @Barney12's roof with integral, hidden gutter to see just how good it can look.

7 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

But that means driving over grp - my architect ‘s nightmare . Might be more acceptable because it’s not at floor level ....

Could even grp over the slab and EPDM - everyone’s happy then !!

Edited by pocster