Watering systems?

Well, with spring now well and truly upon us, it's clear we're going to need more watering capacity for the plants we installed over winter. I thought we might make do with some soaker hoses, but it's clear that a more permanent system is going to be required.

I've looked at various consumer irrigation systems (Hozelock and K'archer), but there are all sorts of other brands and types.

Has anyone had experience with any of these systems? Anything to look out for or avoid?

What about drip v microspray? The drip systems seem to provide water in a very localised way - I can't help but think that for larger plants, a spray would be better.

Thoughts?

I had the hozelock micro system at my previous house. A fiddle to install but when done it proved to be very worthwhile.  I had it permanently set up for baskets and pots. I used a timer. On border areas once things were established I didnt bother with it they either fended for themselves or I used a sprinkler in very dry weather.  A good mulch on the borders kept watering down too.

You do need to check the connections regularly I found that where there were branch junctions could be prone to leaks, ok if its leaking into the soil but not around the house. I ran my baskets and pots system in the gravel channel around the house which was great for hiding it.

• Like 1

I've just installed a watering system for our newly planted row of trees.  I opted to buy this kit, which I can highly recommend: https://www.easygardenirrigation.co.uk/collections/drip-irrigation-systems/products/claber-drip-irrigation-starter-kit-90764

Don't buy the Screwfix system, it's junk.  I bought one and it leaked, and all the drippers fell apart after a couple of days.

I also bought this cheap timer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Digital-LCD-Electronic-Water-Timer-Garden-Irrigation-Controller-Free-Post-A-/332160779280?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10 and have found it works very well indeed - surprisingly so for the price.

The nice thing about the Claber drippers is that they are very easy to individually adjust; anything from off to a fairly fast trickle, which makes setting up a line of them very easy.

• 1 year later...

Hoicking this thread out of Hades, has anyone experience of setting up one of these systems to also refresh a ground level bird bath?

The BB may be as simple as a trad dustbin lid or similar, with an entry ramp.

Cheers.

Ferdinand

Should work OK, just a matter of adjusting the dripper feeding the bird bath to supply just enough water.  Easy to do, but would need a bit of trial and error to get the setting right.  Best run with a timer, so that the bird bath only fills at set times during the day, so the time periods would need some fiddling with too.

If you fill a wine bottle with water and turn it upside down with the neck under water in the bird bath the water doesn't run out of the bottle until the birds drink and the water and the level falls low enough to allow air into the bottle. Many variations on this theme are possible with larger bottles.

• Like 2

In the birdbath run, it would be about half a dozen outlets, and possibly running from a water butt - which would be turned on for half an hour or so each day when I come in in the car.

I could set up a hose, but do not currently have one that side.

At the back I may need a larger run, which would be from a tap.

F

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

In the birdbath run, it would be about half a dozen outlets, and possibly running from a water butt - which would be turned on for half an hour or so each day when I come in in the car.

I could set up a hose, but do not currently have one that side.

At the back I may need a larger run, which would be from a tap.

F

The Claber system I installed last year came with a 20m length of small bore black pipe, and connects directly to an outside tap.  Adding a longer length of pipe is easy, as the pipe they use seems to be pretty standard stuff that's available fairly cheaply on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Feeding-Tube-Pipe-4mm-id-6mm-od-Hozelock-Claber-Compatible-Micro-Watering/281730798058?hash=item419876d1ea:m:mL7Hgmt3f-wJpH3DlusxZig

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Have now ordered a Claber Kit. Will report back.

I added a timer to our Claber system, that seems to work well: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Programmable-Water-Timer-Garden-Hose-Faucet-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Controller-K4J4/153504987336?hash=item23bd9c38c8:g:PGMAAOSwzNtc7NaB

Saves having to remember to turn the system on and off.

• 4 weeks later...

Vicissitudes of life.

My Claber kit, being examined, went in about 15 seconds from the previous “not interested” to “Bwahahah ! Mine !”

Pah.

Need now to order some more bits for the management. It is like cats and a bag of crisps.

Have been informed that a water butt and a watering can are entirely adequate for my bit of the garden.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

15 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Getting to grips.

I think I am missing

1 - An extra outside tap to dedicate to the drip system, or splitter.

2 - A converter for normal hose to 6mm, to enable a direct water buttonnection.

F

I fitted two taps to the same standpipe, one for the irrigation system, one for normal use.  This seemed easier than using a splitter, as it allowed turning either outlet on or off independently.  You can get splitters with reasonably good ball valves fitted to either leg, though, so one of those might be an easy fix: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Brass-Hose-Pipe-Valve-Splitter-Quick-Connector-Adaptor-Y-shaped-Garden-Tap/312642465094?hash=item48caf16d46:g:zDIAAOSwRjxc9ecM

37 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I fitted two taps to the same standpipe, one for the irrigation system, one for normal use.  This seemed easier than using a splitter, as it allowed turning either outlet on or off independently.  You can get splitters with reasonably good ball valves fitted to either leg, though, so one of those might be an easy fix: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Brass-Hose-Pipe-Valve-Splitter-Quick-Connector-Adaptor-Y-shaped-Garden-Tap/312642465094?hash=item48caf16d46:g:zDIAAOSwRjxc9ecM

Cheers. Splitter it is then.

Unfortunately my tap is in the wall, and I don't even have one at the front.

A further one.

Are there any comments on reducing from a 19mm garden hose (hozelock or similar) to the 6mm of the Claber hose? The requirement is simply that I can put a hose straight onto the tiered diameter outlet of the water butt, which can then be connected to Claber at the other end. It really does not need all the gubbins associated with a tap connection.

I think I want something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hose-pipe-connector-to-link-a-garden-hose-to-a-4-6mm-micro-irrigation-system-/222514385377

The seem to be no direct inline connector, presumably for mechanical reasons.

£6.99 seems pricey, but ...

Cheers for any comments.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I have a pressure reducing valve that connects the 1/2" BSP tap connection to the smaller Claber hose: https://www.claber.com/uk/cod/91040/Block-system-Rainjet/Pressure-reducer .  This makes it easier to regulate the drip valves, I think, and came with the starter kit I bought.

I have one of those for the tap, too.

But i also have 3 water butts which are for limited purposes eg 2 trees, 2 pots and a birdbath from one, seasonal fruit plumping up from another, and probably do not - I hope - need all the gubbins.

F

Just checked, and my water butt direct connection to hose (about 3m) then a connection into 20m of Cleber 6mm pipe is in fact sufficient to get flow to the other end. That is with perhaps 1.3m of head, which would be about 0.13 bar.

Encouraging.

Ferdinand

On 19/05/2018 at 17:03, JSHarris said:

I have set up the first part of my watering system. Easy to do and quite adjustable. Works fine from a water butt.

I also have my lower tech device to warn me when it s probably time to have it on for a bit, before the soil dries out much.

50BA97E5-23C9-4EC4-B7B5-C19930F3FA82.thumb.jpeg.31e2d1bb2b51f51a86b0aef8254937fa.jpeg

On 31/08/2019 at 04:15, Ferdinand said:

Probably best asked here.

@JSHarris

My hose splitter has arrived. Do you have any clever way of stopping it leaking where it screws to the tap?

Do I need to soften the seal, or apply grease, or just tighten it up really tight?

Cheers

Ferdinand

Sorry, I somehow missed this yesterday.  Probably just needs tightening, but worth checking that the rubber seal is intact and seating properly.

• Thanks 1