Down pipe into slot drain

Hey all,

I will have a slot drain at the front of my house (land slopes away from house) as a precaution against water running towards the build.

I also intend to use this to collect water off the roof from the far side and have it run into the slot drain (so it drains on the other side of the plot).

Am I ok to just connect the down pipe straight into the slot drain end? (slot drain etc. will be embedded in concrete ; so never be able to gain access to this 'connection').

Or should I do this a different way to allow for any future drainage issues.....??

ta!

Ok.

Called a few drainage channel suppliers and they said not to do this as it could flood the drainage channel.

So!

Shall I just have my down pipe go into my concrete 'base' and straight across the plot ? (i.e. down pipe into 45 deg then pipe across)

Drainage channel as a separate thing i.e. down pipe not into it?

ta!

Edited by pocster
  • Sad 1

A photo!; even better. Wobbly red line shows intended path for down pipe - so it would be 1 continuous thing; no traps; access etc. as will be embedded in concrete.

People like photo's - note how I have tidied up the front. First time it's been that clean in 4 years!

IMG_7176.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

It would not be my preference to route this over a basement.  Is there another possible route?

No other route 

will have edpm uinder it 

Edited by pocster

2 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

if the drain company is advising against it, then probably best to take their advice, assuming you have the depth available for pipe +falls, I would run the downpipe into a 4" pipe with an IC at the other end....

IC ? What’s that ? ?

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

What is at the other end of the roof ..? Can you get away with a single down pipe..? 

More complex I am afraid . That would go to a sump and main drain . This way its water harvesting I.e into a tank 

Edited by pocster

3 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Inspection chamber. ( formerly known as a man hole until being PC became compulsory) 

Do I really need one ? Down pipe straight into horizontal pipe ; can’t I stick one at the end ??? ; just rainwater .....

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Do I really need one ? Down pipe straight into horizontal pipe ; can’t I stick one at the end ??? ; just rainwater .....

Not really for rain water. But I meant at the other end. 

Normal downpipe into the ground, 4” pipe across the windows. Then the IC before it goes into the soak away or wherever it is planning to go. 

10 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Not really for rain water. But I meant at the other end. 

Normal downpipe into the ground, 4” pipe across the windows. Then the IC before it goes into the soak away or wherever it is planning to go. 

Thanks !

just one final question do I glue this pipe work together ? 

Rainwater stuff is push together, you can glue if you really wanted to but if supported and clipped properly / sufficiently then shouldn't need it. 

Have the IC at the very end of the 4' ( 110mm ) run, then at the downpipes end you want a correctly coloured ( lets say black for eg, to match the colour scheme on show ) 110mm 90o bend to take you from horizontal to vertical, then an straight inspection coupling, and then a rainwater to 110mm connector.

You can then rod from the downpipes side to clear obstructions there, and rod the 4" horizontal from the IC. You could do away with the IC the other end if you can get another 110mm inspection branch / coupling at the end of the run where it changes direction. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Rainwater stuff is push together, you can glue if you really wanted to but if supported and clipped properly / sufficiently then shouldn't need it. 

Have the IC at the very end of the 4' ( 110mm ) run, then at the downpipes end you want a correctly coloured ( lets say black for eg, to match the colour scheme on show ) 110mm 90o bend to take you from horizontal to vertical, then an straight inspection coupling, and then a rainwater to 110mm connector.

You can then rod from the downpipes side to clear obstructions there, and rod the 4" horizontal from the IC. You could do away with the IC the other end if you can get another 110mm inspection branch / coupling at the end of the run where it changes direction. 

Thanks nick .

pretty sure I’ve got that straight in my head .

Will get the parts assemble then stick a photo up before I pour concrete over the lot ?

14 hours ago, pocster said:

More complex I am afraid . That would go to a sump and main drain . This way its water harvesting I.e into a tank 

Ok so you should only use water from the roof for rainwater harvesting as it’s the cleanest source. Channel drains shouldn’t be used as they can get contaminated from oil and fuels etc from hard standings. 

Where is this water being used ..?

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Its being pumped underground to his rentals as drinking water to offset the rates :D   

Now there’s an idea !

A small project for @Onoff ; can supply his hydraulic shower head as well ?

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile back on topic ?

I have some issues ( personal and with the build ) . My down pipe will be on a concrete base but within the mot1 and sand ( i.e traditional driveway paving ) . Should I protect the pipe ? Like build concrete blocks either side of it and maybe over it to protect from the mot1 being vibrated ?

Also , due to a technical error ( aka a (expletive deleted) up ) the horizontal roof water run off pipe will unfortunately run across a walk on sky light !!! ? . Can I reduce the pipe ? . What’s the min I can get away with ? . It’s a straight run with a decent fall just too wide ?

Edited by pocster

• 4 weeks later...