Retrofit a USB port

8ball

Ok so my mission is to try and fit USB point into a window board for charging and powering items, I don't want a plug socket with USB ports in them as already have them around the house.

I want a single port hopefully very low profile/ non obtrusive .

Has anyone done anything like this that could give me some advice on how to go about it?

I have my new MDF window boards which are arriving soon and its an ideal opportunity to fit them with some teck.

Ta:)

Might not be what you are looking for if you are thinking of charging more than just a phone or something, but I saw these the other day which I thought were pretty neat, probably a bit easier to rout into the board and then cover/paint over. Just a thought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Thin-QI-Wireless-Charger-Charging-Receiver-Adapter-Card-For-iPhone-7-4-7/112668551847?epid=2259403664&hash=item1a3b91aaa7:g:3LQAAOSwZG9WjqOh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charging-Pad-Mat-For-iphone-X-8-WIRELES-ENABLED-PHONES/282868819492?epid=2283471344&hash=item41dc4ba624:m:muXQQrcPnLvxS9GCO5TwjPQ

• Like 1

I feel USB charging ports are a transient technology so I avoided fitting any. Would hate to have to change them in a few years.

USB current has gone from 500mA to 900mA to 1,500 to 2,100 and now 3,000mA over the years (and maybe some other values).

USB is being replaced by USB-C which is a different connector.

Proximity charging is happening and may become mainstream soon.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

I feel USB charging ports are a transient technology so I avoided fitting any. Would hate to have to change them in a few years.

USB current has gone from 500mA to 900mA to 1,500 to 2,100 and now 3,000mA over the years (and maybe some other values).

USB is being replaced by USB-C which is a different connector.

Proximity charging is happening and may become mainstream soon.

Thanks for the info but isn't everything tech transient technology? I seem to always be upgrading something because there is a bigger better version:D.

I have Tado to control heating and water but I bet a bottom dollar in the next year they will have  a never shinier version that dries towels making your body blower redundant @Onoff

USB-C is the part of the cable that connects to the device, the other end is a standard USB:P

35 minutes ago, Yoopta said:

Might not be what you are looking for if you are thinking of charging more than just a phone or something, but I saw these the other day which I thought were pretty neat, probably a bit easier to rout into the board and then cover/paint over. Just a thought.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Thin-QI-Wireless-Charger-Charging-Receiver-Adapter-Card-For-iPhone-7-4-7/112668551847?epid=2259403664&hash=item1a3b91aaa7:g:3LQAAOSwZG9WjqOh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qi-Wireless-Charger-Charging-Pad-Mat-For-iphone-X-8-WIRELES-ENABLED-PHONES/282868819492?epid=2283471344&hash=item41dc4ba624:m:muXQQrcPnLvxS9GCO5TwjPQ

good find, I'm liking those:D

5 minutes ago, 8ball said:

but isn't everything tech transient technology

Yes I suppose it is, but the rate of change makes it more challenging. 13A sockets are not likely to change in my lifetime, I can just plug in todays fashion into that.

6 minutes ago, 8ball said:

USB-C is the part of the cable that connects to the device, the other end is a standard USB:P

Oops - good catch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 8ball said:

That's only true for some applications. USB-C is a new, 24-pin standard. USB-A is the old, 4-pin standard. For example, an A-to-C cable won't support the USB Power Delivery standard, so the best you can hope for is 2A, or perhaps QC.

• Thanks 1

That page seems to imply that an A-to-C cable can support UPD, but it's a physical impossibility, because A doesn't have the CC pin. Marketing people are dim.

It does imply it's rated for 15W (3A at 5V), so you can at least manage QC2, and perhaps QC3. But you won't be able to, say, charge your laptop at 100W (5A at 20V).

• Like 1

Looking at this again, there's this thing called a QuickCharge Aware cable in the newer versions of the standard. Looks like a revolting hack to me. I guess that's what this is.

Bloody standards people. USB-C was supposed to make everything simple again, but here we are with another camel.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richi said:

Looking at this again, there's this thing called a QuickCharge Aware cable in the newer versions of the standard. Looks like a revolting hack to me. I guess that's what this is.

Bloody standards people. USB-C was supposed to make everything simple again, but here we are with another camel.

Sometimes I have argued till I,m blue in the face about some standard or another then a smart *** gets his tablet out and puts me to shame:$

I think what I'm better off doing is to have a hidden 13amp power socket recessed into the window board then I'm covered for all future changes and standards, not as low profile as a USB port but def future proof.

Hmm wondering if a plug socket on a window board is regs approved?