Propane Storage on-site

We're looking to self-char some of our timber cladding (about 130m2) and are limited to a propane + gas torch approach.

I am 100% certain that there are HSE implications involved, particular in the storage of the containers and during hot works. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Plumbers, roofers and heating engineers carry this stuff around all the time in vans.  AFAIK, the only requirement for transport is having the appropriate hazard sticker on the vehicle (something not always complied with).  If keeping stuff on site you need very secure storage anyway (as it will be nicked if you don't) and the most common storage is a small shipping container.  They are steel, and when fitted with beefed up locks are fine for storing gas bottles in.  The main risk is a leak of gas inside the store, which can be mitigated with some ventilation grilles.

Personally, I adopted a rule of not leaving kit on site, and took stuff home every day.  That included a gas cylinder, regulator, hose a torch a lot of the time.  Strictly speaking I should have had a sticker on the car, but like lots of people I didn't bother, which was probably an offence..............

On 3/11/2018 at 15:52, Visti said:

We're looking to self-char some of our timber cladding

Shou-Sugi-Ban? If so I'd love to see the concept/result. I'm currently battling with my partner over Siberian Larch left to weather or be brave and ask the planners to consider a charred alternative.

Aye, there are a tonne of regulation around the use and storage of these, but it appears highly dependent on whether it's a commercial operation or not, and the amount you're storing together. I'll have to note about the car stickers and this will likely be carted around a lot!

4 minutes ago, bissoejosh said:

Shou-Sugi-Ban? If so I'd love to see the concept/result. I'm currently battling with my partner over Siberian Larch left to weather or be brave and ask the planners to consider a charred alternative.

Yup, that is right, but we simply cant justify the £75/m2+ cost on a full 130m2!

We're going half and half on the charring and the weathering as you can see. Why not do the same ;)

image.png.1cdcad55c06e960b0e30cc30f5331a18.png

8 minutes ago, Visti said:

Aye, there are a tonne of regulation around the use and storage of these, but it appears highly dependent on whether it's a commercial operation or not, and the amount you're storing together. I'll have to note about the car stickers and this will likely be carted around a lot!

Yup, that is right, but we simply cant justify the £75/m2+ cost on a full 130m2!

We're going half and half on the charring and the weathering as you can see. Why not do the same ;)

image.png.1cdcad55c06e960b0e30cc30f5331a18.png

Looks great. What wood will you be using?

Siberian Larch cladding - Grade A / Unsorted @ £28.8/m2 (£3.6/m) from Mill Works. Best quote we could get for this quality.

There's Grade B / Sawfalling (more knots) which is cheaper at £23.2/m2 (£2.9m), so that is our backup in case another line item rises in price.

We also had very good quotes from iWood and Varsten timber. All very professional and accommodating.

• 6 months later...

We hoped to do this.........unfortunately the planners didn't like the idea. I did wonder if the charring would rub off if used at ground level, but maybe the wire brushing stops that.

Did you do it in the end , if so how was the process and result?

I know this is an old thread but for anyone doing a search about propane storage the spare bottles should be kept in a well ventilated and lockable store away from the building or site accommodation. Most people don’t know that propane is heavier than air so any leaking gas has the potential to enter and fill open excavations such as foundation trenches, basements or drains - subsequent risks being the obvious explosion/fire risk but also there’s a suffocation risk due to the propane displacing the air in a confined space such a drain manhole.

Edited by Ian