garage floor finish

lizzie

Any suggestions to finish  the garage floor?

We have a rough slab in the garage. We can tidy up the messy lumps and loose bits.  Then the question what to do with it.  We just had an ordinary garage floor paint in last house but the slab was much better there no where near as rough as this one.

We cant really screed as that may give us problem with levels.

A cheap and cheerful method of dealing with the garage floor needed so all suggestions gratefully received. Garage is not attached to the house.

How big is it ..?? You can get cheap self leveling compound (£7 for 25kg..) so 6 or 7 bags would do an ordinary garage floor at 3mm. Is that enough ..? 

Once that is down it’s a quick paint with ordinary floor paint and job done. Screwfix No Nonsense stuff works great 

Thanks Guys...its about 4.5m wide cant remember how long maybe 7m but thats a guess. Ive got a Hormann sectional door ordered for the front, opening width 4m.

Self level and paint sounds a good option I will explore. Tiles wouldnt work for all sorts of reasons including cost.  I was perfectly happy with my previous painted floor so if I can get the slab to a state for painting that will do me.  I dont have much space to increase floor height wiith screed as it will affect levels so need somthing minimal just to smooth it over. The epoxy coating is lovely but OMG the price of it! Its just a garage floor after all!

We are going to end up with Gyproc Habito boards on the walls as we had to buy in pallets and have 15 or so sheets letft over to use up.  Most expensive boarded garage in the land LOL! If I hadnt had these lying around I would have just painted the blocks, I have so much shelving for the garage there will hardly be any wall visible.

Should a newly laid concrete floor be left unpainted for a couple of years to release all its moisture? After that I thought an epoxy garage floor paint was the best solution, that is what they claim over on PistonHeads.

Having painted a new build garage floor before I reckon the biggest challenge is getting rid of any cement crust that turns to dust following minor abrasion.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

PistonHeads.

What makes you think they might know anything about garage floors?O.o PS if you saw the BBC prog 'worlds most extraordinary homes' this week that Porsche collector's garage was the sort of thing everybody needs - amazing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

that Porsche collector's garage was the sort of thing everybody needs - amazing.

My Porsche owner would love a garage like that however I have blown the budget on kitchen and bathrooms so its likely to be paint on garage the floor.......... if we can afford it............I am currently browsing some lovely doormats for the house  but the prices...........LOL

• 3 months later...
On 08/03/2018 at 23:12, lizzie said:

Any suggestions to finish  the garage floor?

We have a rough slab in the garage. We can tidy up the messy lumps and loose bits.  Then the question what to do with it.  We just had an ordinary garage floor paint in last house but the slab was much better there no where near as rough as this one.

We cant really screed as that may give us problem with levels.

A cheap and cheerful method of dealing with the garage floor needed so all suggestions gratefully received. Garage is not attached to the house.

I am going to diamond our floor and clear epoxy seal. It will look like polished concrete and have a resistance to oil etc. soaking in.

5 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

I am going to diamond our floor and clear epoxy seal. It will look like polished concrete and have a resistance to oil etc. soaking in.

That will be quite slippy and very expensive for a garage floor ! Why not just use one of the epoxy non slip floor paints...? At least that can be redone fairly cheaply

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

That will be quite slippy and very expensive for a garage floor ! Why not just use one of the epoxy non slip floor paints...? At least that can be redone fairly cheaply

I am hearing you, but I have this in parts of our business premises and it's been fine in terms of slipperiness etc. It's like they have in Costco/B&Q etc. It's not like the glass finish people put in their homes, but it's very smooth with a slight sheen to it and the epoxy seal is just to stop it staining, it still appears to have some porosity to it. Looks smart.

Issue I find with floor paint is that once you paint it that's you, you are painting it every year to keep it looking smart.

51 minutes ago, lizzie said:

We used a self leveller on the roughest bits, primer then garage floor paint from screwfix. Its marked easily think when the weather cools we will do the paint again.

You will be painting it every 8-12 months to be honest. You can buy 20 litres of floor paint for about £40 from the guys that go round supplying business units on industrial estates etc. anyone who has a painted floor in a business premises knows that floor painting is about a 8-12 monthly maintenance program. 

For a domestic garage I could recommend the 2 part epoxy stuff, expensive for the good stuff but it should last you a really long time if it is just normal domestic traffic.

• Like 1

I must admit when I did my double garage floor I mixed together various tins of various makes of grey, some bought, some scrounged in an old 25L fermenting bin and stuck it on with an old broom head. I'll never match it! 

Somewhat messed up the look when a 5L tin of red oxide fell over unbeknown to me! However by the time I got around to finding/sorting it it was dry and peeled off in a sheet.