As Built SAP

We received our as built SAP documentation yesterday and the EPC is A95 without any renewables. Apparently if we install 3.2kWp PV system it goes up to A102. We were going to do that a bit later this year, so I suppose I have to have the EPC calculated again when the work is done.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Congrats - now you can move in, when you do I will send a bottle of Champagne (well the sparkling stuff they make in Kent that is very like Champagne but not Champagne), assuming you are not both tea total.

Thank you, that's very generous. We'll move in when the oil tank for the bungalow is empty which will probably be around the end of March. We're still hanging doors, fitting skirting and painting woodwork upstairs at the moment. The BCO is coming this morning for his final visit and to tell us what paperwork he wants.

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Timber for the man cave! :)

Not if it is anything like the stuff that came out of our shack - very like Peter's, it just crumbles to dust only about 20% of it is any use and de-nailing it it a mission. However in a cold snap, such as now - just taken an hour to get to an from the station with the other half, it burns OK and you can pick the nails out of the ash when, if it ever cools down.

Just now, MikeSharp01 said:

Not if it is anything like the stuff that came out of our shack - very like Peter's, it just crumbles to dust only about 20% of it is any use and de-nailing it it a mission. However in a cold snap, such as now - just taken an hour to get to an from the station with the other half, it burns OK and you can pick the nails out of the ash when, if it ever cools down.

Was that S'oaks? Farningham to the station was appalling this morning and yesterday. Up along past the Lavender Farm etc.

Just now, MikeSharp01 said:

No she wanted Orpington, more likelihood of a train, and she got one - who knows I may never see her again if the doom laden weather forecast and rear wheel drive only cars have anything to do with it.

I lost the Golf yesterday on Otford roundabout. Lucky it was about 04.30hrs! No damage, just my pride! I'm thinking of asking if I can work from home on Friday.

Well done - I did not think that A was achievable without renewables, so 95 is excellent.  Did you have a specific target?

We have just finished seven new build houses and they achieved between B85 and B87, no renewables.  Only managed about 4.0 in the airtightness though.

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Well done - I did not think that A was achievable without renewables, so 95 is excellent.  Did you have a specific target?

We have just finished seven new build houses and they achieved between B85 and B87, no renewables.  Only managed about 4.0 in the airtightness though.

It's all about attention to detail which I really don't think "mass" builders can ever achieve as long as they hit minimum standards. Someone recently said on here he doubted the average buyer would even care. I've been in the place (Peter's) with no heating whatsoever and it simply feels toasty, cocooned and draught free...and then some. Labour of love? I'd hate to cost the man hours he's put in on it.

Perhaps they should start hammering energy conservation and it's implications in schools?

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

Timber for the man cave! :)

Yup, we're hoping to to take it down rather than knock it down. It's a 4"x2" frame and the timber looks good in the loft, unlike Mike's @MikeSharp01, although I expect de-nailing it might be slow work. Wendy will do that, she said it's in her skill set.

5 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Yup, we're hoping to to take it down rather than knock it down. It's a 4"x2" frame and the timber looks good in the loft, unlike Mike's @MikeSharp01, although I expect de-nailing it might be slow work. Wendy will do that, she said it's in her skill set.

Now the question is will the shed be passive esque and designed in sympathy with the house?

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

We didn't have a SAP target because I used the PHPP to design the house and main requirement was to not need a heating system. It's supposed to need 1.14kW to maintain 20C inside when -10C outside. It hasn't dropped to -10C here yet, although it got close last night.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Now the question is will the shed be passive esque and designed in sympathy with the house?

I think that after nearly eight years of building the house I'll be happy with a shed that just doesn't leak.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I'd hate to cost the man hours he's put in on it.

Perhaps they should start hammering energy conservation and it's implications in schools?

So would I, think of all the other things I could have done with my time.

Good idea.

3 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

We didn't have a SAP target because I used the PHPP to design the house and main requirement was to not need a heating system. It's supposed to need 1.14kW to maintain 20C inside when -10C outside. It hasn't dropped to -10C here yet, although it got close last night.

I never knew all this. Incredible! 

3 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

So would I, think of all the other things I could have done with my time.

Good idea.

It gets worse when it's done as you are that used to doing things around the house you kind of feel a bit lost for while. Take a well earned break for 6 months and recharge the batteries.

• Like 1