Tiling...many questions

Onoff

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I finally conjured up the enthusiasm to do something this morning so started applying the tanking tape around the bath. SWMBO wanders in...

"Now last night the silver grey looked darker.....the white's too white. Go with the silver grey if you've bought it..."

Guess who's now en route to Rochester to get CHARCOAL grout?

You will regret using charcoal I shit you not. It'll go blotchy and be harder to clean than the white. Noooiooooo!

Yay! Victory - just don't tell her!

Bugger - just seen the charcoal comment.  NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Stick to grey - you have agreement.  Charcoal - there be fire breathing dragons.  The ones that turn you into burned toast.

Edited by vivienz
  • Like 1

What is it with blokes? Work hard to get the right outcome and feck it up at the final hurdle. Use the silver. Put all thoughts out of your mind re introducing a new variable / colour and autonomously deciding that it’s the way forward. Take the small victory, be happy with the silver that looks absolutely fine, and keep quiet about it being a victory or you’ll never hear the end of it! You know it makes sense! Trust me on this one!! 

• Haha 2

So after a half hour phone call & Whatsapp session she decides the Silver Grey has dried "too white". She loved it last night when it first went in. The difference I think is that it was wetter hence darker.

This is it dry:

IMG-20180811-WA0001.thumb.jpg.e2352f97ede33d5e780361a72b52cc1d.jpg

And from a distance:

IMG-20180811-WA0000.thumb.jpg.fde4c0e9e8e0e5385503e65b8d19cca3.jpg

So we've ditched Charcoal and I'm going to do some samples of Mid-Grey and the darker Grey which is one down from Charcoal.

IMG-20180811-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.fb5626812a535ef5e691a970243e007d.jpeg

Just made my sample board up:

20180811_144328.thumb.jpg.ac1f3c1952f17092ac005d399b17d14b.jpg

Meanwhile, back on thread:

Top sample is Silver Grey then White. Done last night.

Lower sample is Silver Grey, Mid Grey, Grey as written. Done earlier today.

20180811_211018.thumb.jpg.24915464b3c30d0cd29aa77343786bbd.jpg

Mid Grey is looking favourite at the mo depending how it dries overnight.

The sample grout was made up religiously following the powder/water mixing ratios. Used one of those 25/50ml Calpol spoons!

Silver Grey = 3.25:1 or 300ml/1kg

Mid Grey = 3.25:1 or 300ml/1kg

Grey = 3.5:1 or 250ml/1kg

What was odd was that SWMBO made up the Mid Grey twice following the above ratios and it was far too thick. Third time lucky she added a little more water to get the right consistency. So it was in fact <3.25:1. 

???

All grout bags are in date as in Jun/Jul 18.

Be interesting when we do the bulk mix.

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

All grout bags are in date as in Jun/Jul 18.

Thats out of date and 12 months old .... 

Sounds like the supplier is pushing the crap your way - ask for fresh bags as that will set very quickly and go lumpy especially when it’s got a porous adhesive to pull the moisture out of it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thats out of date and 12 months old .... 

Sounds like the supplier is pushing the crap your way - ask for fresh bags as that will set very quickly and go lumpy especially when it’s got a porous adhesive to pull the moisture out of it. 

No, the supplier is spot on. All IN date. They're DOM dates, the white is Jun 18 & the rest later:

20180811_220258.thumb.jpg.5196ce9d1d9ea05d81b437798c5f1929.jpg

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ah ok - thought you meant use by date ..! 

No worries. Each of the sample lines took a similar time to set. Just odd about that mid grey. 

Tbh I wasn't at all scientific about mixing the two samples last night. The guy at the tile place reckons getting the ratio right is critical as it will affect the final colour. I never knew that!

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

All pointless, as when his missus reads through this he's going to be buried alongside the new cold mains pipe outside. 

?

Keeping him alive and making him pay, daily, for his indiscretions is much more fun, plus he would still be around to do all the blue jobs. Death by 1000 cuts ? ?

• Haha 1