Tiling...many questions

Onoff

Grouting again...maybe tonight but SWMBO and I aren't exactly talking to have the "silver grey vs white" discussion! :/

Is it feasible to mix up a small amount of silver grey grout, put it down then see how it looks? Maybe do an area of white to to see the contrast. If it doesn't get the thumbs up from madam is it easy enough to remove with a sponge and go for the white?

And around the edges where the floor tiles meet the wall. They're pretty full of adhesive. I didn't pay too much attention to cleaning them out (maybe I should have), other than making sure the edge wasn't caked. Figured the wall tile adhesive and grout under the bottom wall tile will cover it all up anyway?

20180810_051449

20180810_051500

• Like 1

The grout will need to be dry to get a proper idea of the colour. Bit like painting. 

Can’t you cover a few tiles up, lay a couple of unlaid tiles / offcuts on top and then grout those in the silver and leave to dry? Needs to be in the light of the bathroom really which is why I say do it there. Then just pick the tiles up afterwards and the grout should fall out pretty much. 

Domestics aren’t exactly the ideal time to persuade her mind ?. I had a hissy fit when hubby used the wrong type of cream grout in the master bathroom as I had bought 2 different types of cream to be used with different tiles. It was too late to change it. It all looked the bloody same when all rooms were done though ☺️

Edited by newhome
  • Like 1

Off cuts, pizza box, duct tape!

20180810_165940

20180810_170805

20180810_172241

Hands down I prefer the grey. I think the space will look bigger with the grey.

I've left it stategically placed so she can see it through the open door (well, doorway as there isn't yet a door) when she flys by. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Off cuts, pizza box, duct tape!

20180810_165940

20180810_170805

20180810_172241

Hands down I prefer the grey. I think the space will look bigger with the grey.

I've left it stategically placed so she can see it through the open door (well, doorway as there isn't yet a door) when she flys by. 

Grey for sure !

now piss on the white to show her how easily it dis colours ?

• Haha 1

Grey for sure. It’ll hide that area of imperfection better that will p**s you off every time you look it it. You may as well put a ‘look at me’ sign up if you do it in white! ? No one else will notice it mind.  

Edited by newhome

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Grey for sure. It’ll hide that area of imperfection better that will p**s you off every time you look it it. You may as well put a ‘look at me’ sign up if you do it in white! ? No one else will notice it mind.  

I'm of the same opinion. The colour is so close to the tiles imo it would go a long way to hiding any faux pas and my inexperience.

Tell her you've cocked up and if you do it in white it will be obvious but if you do it in grey no-one will ever see it. ... Then follow up with 'it's easy to put white over grey if you still don't like it in 6 months time'.  I much prefer the  grey BUT I can see why some people like the white - if it is absolutely perfect; if not it will show forever - or at least until the white discolours :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Has she made any comment yet or are you still not talking? :)

Not a peep from her since I got in. Bliss! 

It'll a be a 'kin long time until the grout goes down at this rate.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

Bribe the son and seal the deal! 

Mummy's boy! :) (The girls first word on the other hand was DAD! )

I asked him what he thought, he asked what Mum thought and I said I didn't know. Next thing they're both in there discussing it. 

The rear of the pockets will be done in the mosaic. The wall tiles are the lighter grey - one sitting against the wall in the floor. Not sure about the pocket returns, sloping pocket shelf and soffit of the pocket.

There'll be a nominal 100mm wide mosaic strip dividing the wet room area and this'll run up the side of the window, floor to ceiling. The white grout in the mosaic dictates then that the wall grout be white.

2018-08-10_09-16-52

I finally conjured up the enthusiasm to do something this morning so started applying the tanking tape around the bath. SWMBO wanders in...

"Now last night the silver grey looked darker.....the white's too white. Go with the silver grey if you've bought it..."

Guess who's now en route to Rochester to get CHARCOAL grout?

• Like 2